Half Life 3: A big deal?

I am a big Half Life n00b, so bare with me for a moment while I ask a very stupid question...

Is the Announcement of Half Liife 3 really THAT big of a deal? Additionally, what makes the Half Life series so incredible to you?

It's just one of those things I didn't grow up with, so I just don't get it I suppose. Help me out here

Kill the Machine!

its one of the greatest games ever made.

with no ending

what makes it amazing is the relations betwene characters, games storylines.... everything is related to something else. down to the single little details

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Its just people love it and it has been along time since the last game

Half-Life is what made video games worth playing.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I am a big Half Life n00b, so bare with me for a moment while I ask a very stupid question...

Is the Announcement of Half Liife 3 really THAT big of a deal? Additionally, what makes the Half Life series so incredible to you?

It's just one of those things I didn't grow up with, so I just don't get it I suppose. Help me out here

play the first few, hl2, then episode one and two then you will see why people want it.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Couldn't really care less about Half-Life. I enjoyed what I played, but I don't see why everyone loves it so much.

Half Life 3 is the holy grail of game releases. I would honestly give a kidney to get confirmation of it.

That being said, it hasn't even been confirmed yet.....unless I've missed something, in which case I am going to soil myself in glee.

play the first game and then episode one and two then you will see why people want it.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't played the first one, but I have played 2 and ep 1 and 2.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

play the first game and then episode one and two then you will see why people want it.

you seem to be missing 3 games here.......

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

TBH I haven't played half life and don't really care to. I want Portal 3.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

you seem to be missing 3 games here.......

derp, you're right :P

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Someone kill this heretic!

/s but not really

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

/s but not really

nxq7h4v.jpg

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

It's overhyped but a jar of pickles.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

It's never going to live upto what people believe it should be. Can't be worse than Duke Nukem DNF.

It's a good series though.

Was just thinking about this the other day. A few points:

First, the game has artificially been hyped up too much. Just the name 'Half Life 3' has, for some reason, hyped up the potential game with no real indication of the actual game itself. There's almost zero chance the game will live up to these years of exaggerated hype. Don't get me wrong, the Half Life games are great.

Second, it's literally become a meme. Probably 80% of people who go on about Half Life 3 probably haven't even played a Half Life game. They see real Half Life fans joke and hype up this mystery unannounced game, and they follow along because it's a running joke. Seriously. People always make the "THREE? WOW HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!" all the time just because it's 'the cool thing' without really understanding what it is or even the franchise.

Is Half-life a big deal?, of course, as big as GabeN.

Every single FPS game owes something to Half-Life, and Half-Life owes a lot to Doom and Quake.

And since the universes of Half-Life and Portal somehow are connected, we need Half-Life 3. 

So yeah, Half-Life is a big deal, but for Half-Life 3 to live up to the hype, it has to be some epic stuff, hopefully my grandkids will play it.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Because in the 90s, video games had started to take a turn for the worse, there wasn't a whole lot going on with them at the time. Nintendo, Sega and Sony had all made their mark, but they weren't hauling like they used to. Then Valve came along. At the time, it was a tiny company, one hardly worth mentioning in the video game industry, until they released Half Life. I'm sorry, but at the time, Halo was just starting to become a thing and Half Life chewed it up, spit it out and went about its day. Halo is not as good as Half Life, and Half Life is the entire reason that Valve has become as big as it is. Pretty much every other game they have made is a moot point compared to what Half Life did for them and the gaming industry as a whole. Oh, sure, they have their own meme sets and things like that, but the Half Life franchise has been the archetype for FPS games since the genre really actually took off. Then Half Life 2 came out, along with its subsequent episodes. When Half Life 2 Episode 3 is finally announced, it will bring the conference hall it is announced in to the ground. The internet will break. That is how influential the Half Life series is in the world of PC gaming. If the Half Life series had sold half (hurr) as well as it did, we would not be here discussing this, because HL2E3 would not be looked forward to.

/s but not really

098.jpg

Glad I'm late to the Warhammer jokes.  You can never have too many.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I disagree, maybe with a different story line and characters, for me the "glados + chell" story is done and I'm completely satisfied with it :3

But that's my opinion :D

I really want an ending to the story, BADLY!!!

Half life 3 should be 100% optimised for VR and be GOTY. Movie like quality storyline (at least as successful as The Inception or Interstellar).

However Gaben has an incredibly hard task because u guys have been waiting for almost a decade and your expectations are surely very high.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I really want an ending to the story, BADLY!!!

I'm not sure if u would like an end. I'd prefer open ending like Inception where the ending is up to us to decide in what we want to believe.

Wouldn't u be sad if the game had full stop ending (nothing to follow up) ?

Surely u would be satysfied for a while and amazed by it but then will come the moment when u wish there was more to it.

This game is best when left for imagination. Your imagination is limitless and endless. Best ending ever :)

Thats my take on it.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

SNIP

Half life is a linear story, I want to know what happens, I don't want it left open, I need closure on what happens

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii