I am wanting to start YT. I need some mic recommendations.

BunnyHunter

I built a computer last year and here are the specs.

i5 4690k

r9280x oc edition (3gb)

1TB hard drive

MSI z97-g55 SLI motherboard

G.skills Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3 

and a corsair CX600M PSU

I want to get into video rec for YT. I am not much of an audio guy and would like to know what a good setup for a microphone would be. I have a budget of 350$ and have no dedicated sound card or amp. I would like some shock mound of sorts because I have brown keys switches that are rather loud. I am open to any recommendations of any combo of mic amp stand ect. or just a stand alone mic. (Note I have a big room with not much in it so echo may be a factor)

Use Auto Font

Blue Yeti ? maybe

i5 4690k

r9280x oc edition (3gb)

1TB hard drive

and a corsair CX600M PSU

I want to get into video rec for YT. I am not much of an audio guy and would like to know what a good setup for a microphone would be. I have a budget of 350$ and have no dedicated sound card or amp. I would like some shock mound of sorts because I have brown keys switches that are rather loud. I am open to any recommendations of any combo of mic amp stand ect. or just a stand alone mic. (Note I have a big room with not much in it so echo may be a factor)

Funny enough you right that. Lew from Unboxtherapy recently posted a amazon deal for the blue snowball.

https://twitter.com/UnboxTherapy/status/573607072606109698

I know Linus recently review & tested the Razer Seirēn & Other high-end blue yeti mics

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Can the blue yeti blackout be mounted into a shock mount? because if so I may go with that. Thanks for the help.

You dont need to spend tons of cash to start a youtube channel. Thats just wasted money. I would recommend no more than $50 and even then its overkill. What mic do you have now? Best way to start a youtube video is to use what you have. But if you do want something better then something like a:

CAD U37

Blue Microphones Snowball

Samson Meteorite

Labtec desktop mics

Save your money and go with something under $50. If you find that you really like doing youtube and want to improve you audio then do some room treatment first :)

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

i5 4690k

r9280x oc edition (3gb)

1TB hard drive

and a corsair CX600M PSU

Save your money and go with something under $50. If you find that you really like doing youtube and want to improve you audio then do some room treatment first :)

Room treatment is often more expensive (by the point that it has any noticable effect) so you are better of getting a slightly better mic as your first audio upgrade in most cases, that being said, you are correct about starting with a cheaper mic (don't upgrade if you already have one).

Try to see what you can do first before going all out on upgrades. Acctually start making something first, this will help you guage what even needs upgradeing first as well.

Good Luck!

Room treatment is often more expensive 

only if not going the diy route. Doing it yourself can be very inexpensive. Though it might not look very good

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Can the blue yeti blackout be mounted into a shock mount? because if so I may go with that. Thanks for the help.

No the Yeti mics are bigger than most others so most shock mounts don't for as far as in aware. The at2020 will be better in that regard but honestly a blue snowball is ask you really need.

You dont need to spend tons of cash to start a youtube channel. Thats just wasted money. I would recommend no more than $50 and even then its overkill. What mic do you have now? Best way to start a youtube video is to use what you have. But if you do want something better then something like a:

CAD U37

Blue Microphones Snowball

Samson Meteorite

Labtec desktop mics

Right now I have a Blue Snowball. The reason I wanted to upgrade was because the mic is loud even at far distances. I do know the Blue Snowball is notorious for picking up almost everything.

Right now I have a Blue Snowball. The reason I wanted to upgrade was because the mic is loud even at far distances. I do know the Blue Snowball is notorious for picking up almost everything.

It's a condenser mic, all of those have a tendency to pick up a LOT. use setting 2 with a pop filter at a short distance and you should be good. 

I don't mean to plug my own channel but I use what I just mentioned, mic is usually 2 inches from my mouth, and at 100% volume in Windows

Edited by Lauen

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

It's a condenser mic, all of those have a tendency to pick up a LOT. use setting 2 with a pop filter at a short distance and you should be good. 

I don't mean to plug my own channel but I use what I just mentioned, mic is usually 2 inches from my mouth, and at 100% volume in Windows

I have the snowball ice and it does not have any settings to switch from. http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B006DIA77E