Cpu power allocation

So, yesterday, the mc server i was going on for the past 3 years has officially shutdown.

It costed the owner 600$ a year for around only 5 people playing on it here and there for the past 3 months.

I want to host it. I have a 4790k cpu and id like to know if its possible to dedicate like 50% of its power to the server for 24/7 operation

And i ill simply toss around 6gb if ram to it.

Thanks

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

You won't be able to host a server the same as his as he paid for someone to host it for him which results in someone having a PC running a server 100% 24/7.

You can host it for a few friends though.

You won't be able to host a server the same as his as he paid for someone to host it for him which results in someone having a PC running a server 100% 24/7.

You can host it for a few friends though.

I host MC servers on my PC....

They have been up for years 24/7, and they actually dont take that much CPU power or ram to run unless theres 10-20 people on there at a time

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I host MC servers on my PC....

They have been up for years 24/7, and they actually dont take that much CPU power or ram to run unless theres 10-20 people on there at a time

I know this...

I'm talking about there difference between you using your computer and someone paying $600 for a minecraft server.

So, yesterday, the mc server i was going on for the past 3 years has officially shutdown.

It costed the owner 600$ a year for around only 5 people playing on it here and there for the past 3 months.

I want to host it. I have a 4790k cpu and id like to know if its possible to dedicate like 50% of its power to the server for 24/7 operation

And i ill simply toss around 6gb if ram to it.

Thanks

You likely won't need 50% of the 4790k's CPU power, I can only pull ~10% of mine w/my server and client up simultaneously. You may need more than 6GB of RAM dedicated to it, highly dependent on the world, any mods, and how many players are connected.

What you definitely will need is a static IP and decent internet connection if you're planning on 24/7 hosting support.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I know this...

I'm talking about there difference between you using your computer and someone paying $600 for a minecraft server.

Exactly, his computer will be hundreds of times better than the crap server rentals that people pay outrageous prices for.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Exactly, his computer will be hundreds of times better than the crap server rentals that people pay outrageous prices for.

quick note : was using amazone hosting for the server. Wich was around 50$/ month. In the end of hher server life. I think he was paying more before..

Anyway i have up to 16gb of ram anyway. And the serve files are massve with a lot of plugins.

Still. Is there a way to allways hav a portion of my cpu dedicated to th server ? And perhaps a storage ? (Partition) ?

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

quick note : was using amazone hosting for the server. Wich was around 50$/ month. In the end of hher server life. I think he was paying more before..

Anyway i have up to 16gb of ram anyway. And the serve files are massve with a lot of plugins.

Still. Is there a way to allways hav a portion of my cpu dedicated to th server ? And perhaps a storage ? (Partition) ?

you dont need to do all that...tis a small server, its barely going to use your CPU

and just make a folder for all the server stuff and thats all you need

SSDs give a good pseed boost to servers

your PC is way more powerful than that rental server so there should be no issues

the most difficult part is port forwarding, and making sure you have enough download/upload speed

Spoiler

you dont need to do all that...tis a small server, its barely going to use your CPU

and just make a folder for all the server stuff and thats all you need

SSDs give a good pseed boost to servers

your PC is way more powerful than that rental server so there should be no issues

the most difficult part is port forwarding, and making sure you have enough download/upload speed

Well. My ssd i think still gas around 40-60gb left. Wich tvh, is around 3/4 of the size if the files... So km wondering if i can spliy a part on the ssd, and another part on my hdd. The. HAve a merged backup on my NAS