Will Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony be the last?

AlexHouse

Hi, as someone who enjoys collecting console games I was just wondering, what are the chances of another company coming into the mix again like way back in the early 90's when they were a fair few different companies in the mix, granted most brands died but with changing times of technology might another company bring a new console into the mix?

Please note I'm talking about consoles not micro-consoles, thanks.

I had hoped Nvidia would be doing more than they are doing.  Oh well.  Also I am waiting on a comeback by Sega or Atari as they are recognized gaming brand names but I guess they don't have the capital or backing to do it yet again.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well Microsoft is pretty new actually too.

Not sure if there will be another one...

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

well i guess you can consider nvidia is a new guy since they just showed off the shield

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I'd say slim to zero, but maybe Valve might make one? Steam machines are basically analogous to modern consoles in the way that modern consoles are analogous to P.C.s (probably more so). I've heard they're about to demo their controller also, so Valve.

Ultimately if Valve's steam machine was custom spec.ed stuck on a single board and mass produced by a single manufacturer then you'd basically have a valve console.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Valve I guess though it's a bit of a cheat.

I feel in a world where people are now used to upgrading stuff every couple of years, consoles that run on a 10 year cycle are just dying. I think the real step forward would be when someone creates a steam box with modular parts. I'm talking modular like Project Ara. No faffing with cables or seeing exposed boards and circuitry as that scares non-techies. They take out the "old" GPU, CPU etc. brick, plug the new one in its place and it's good to go.

I sure hope we keep diversity in the tech market, or else we might start seeing monopolization

Theres still hope though, lots of smaller companies are trending still

Well the way I see it now there are only two options despite the fact that there are three brands. So forget more brands if it's not something different. Basically when you look at it the PS4 and XBOne are the same box with almost the same software but a different sticker on the front. Not that I'm a fan of the platform exclusive stuff but at least when the platforms were really different AND they had their own IP that could leverage those differences? It kept all the players on their toes.

There's no point having "competition" if every player agrees to create the same box. You need ideas to compete not just brands. The Valve idea is a good one because it would be an open platform, that's brilliant and an entirely different option. What I wouldn't want is someone else coming in with yet another XBOne/PS4.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing