So how high can you overclock a Intel Core i5 4690k without it growing unstable? Personally with water cooling I've gotten mine up to 4.20GHz while keeping it under 45 degrees celcius. Any ideas on how to get it higher?

So how high can you overclock a Intel Core i5 4690k without it growing unstable? Personally with water cooling I've gotten mine up to 4.20GHz while keeping it under 45 degrees celcius. Any ideas on how to get it higher?

More voltage is the only way. If you're already at your safe temp or voltage limit you lost the lottery :(

45C for load temps is extremely low, max temps under synthetic bench can be ~80C depending on what you're comfortable with. Real world should rarely get above 70-75C if those are your AIDA64 or XTU load temps.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Okay yeah that sounds pretty easy. Mine is a little weird because even with auto turboboost off its base clock is 3.70GHz, so I'm guessing thats a good chip, haha.

I'm still pretty new to overclocking so I'm treading carefully. 

Here are some guides, but the most important thing to know going into this is to keep an open mind.  Don't try and compare your results to others, just focus on getting the best result for your chip that you are comfortable with. Also, whenever you stress test, make absolutely sure that you set your voltage to manual before stress testing.  When you are done stress testing, revert back to adaptive voltage.  Failure to do so can cause overheating and overvolting which has the potential to damage your chip.  If you do everything as instructed, and keep a low voltage below 1.3v, you will be fine.

To start, do some research.  Understand what all of the terms mean, and wait to play with your settings until you understand everything.  I am here to help if you need it, I have the same motherboard, and the same processor(i5-4670k), but please become aware of what the different terms mean and where to find them.

http://rog.asus.com/...or-Overclocking

http://www.wikihow.com/Overclock-a-PC

https://teksyndicate...ng-guide/153447

http://www.overclock...with-statistics

http://linustechtips...clocking-guide/

Load Line Calibration, Why Overclockers Should Care

The LLC setting was the one setting that the Asus auto overclock does that is not good.  It sets it to the maximum value, which is not good, it causes vBoost(overvolting).  You want this set to 2-5 out of 8.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

4.2 on watercooling seems a bit low. You need to increase the voltage in order to be able to bump the multiplier higher. Follow the guides provided by @Faceman and see how high you could go.

My 4690K is at 4.2GHz at 1.056V (my stock voltage), and it got through an hour of OCCT with max temps of 79 celsius with the stock cooler.
Once I get a new cooling solution I'll start increasing the voltage as well.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

Ive got mine at 4.5@1.25v with a bit of messing around with the adaptive settings. 8 hours with aida64 temps around 70c

CPU: 4690k - 4.5@1.29v  GPU: GTX 780ti - core +100 / Mem+350 Motherboard: Asus Z97-A  SSD: 256Gb 840 Evo HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB  RAM: Corsair Vengance Pro 2x4Gb  Case: White H440  PSU: RM850  Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60

depends purely on the quality of the chip you get...anywhere from 4.2 to 4.8ghz.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR