[SOLVED] Something ate +100 GB storage on my SSD

Hi!

So, yesterday I've decided to download Visual Studio 2013, to get into some programming. VS takes up about 10 GB storage space and installed it in my E: (HDD) drive. After it finished all of the installing, I've noticed that my C: (SSD) drive has only +17 GB left of 250! I usually don't install anything on my SSD, and I checked a few hours before and it had atleast +150 GB of storage.

I've tried disk cleanup, ccleaner and defrag - didn't help at all. I've tried manually looking at how much storage do all the folders (hidden folders, too) take up and it's not even close to being that much. Afterwards I used SpaceSniffer to determine what takes up storage. It showed that I have over 100 GB unaccesible memory.

I have Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD.

I deleted some junk, so now I have 28 GB.

post-195455-0-86068700-1425507222_thumb.

Thanks for help!

Check your System Restore points. Do not defrag an SSD.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yea, don't EVER defrag a SSD, you basically just shortened its life expectancy by alot.

I have no idea why you would have 100gigs of unaccessable space... run CCleaner to get rid of any tempfiles that might of been created wll installing. Then you can try looking at the S.M.A.R.T. data of your drive. check its health, you may of destroyed your SSD by degragging it...

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Yea, don't EVER defrag a SSD, you basically just shortened its life expectancy by alot.

I have no idea why you would have 100gigs of unaccessable space... run CCleaner to get rid of any tempfiles that might of been created wll installing. Then you can try looking at the S.M.A.R.T. data of your drive. check its health, you may of destroyed your SSD by degragging it...

It's probably the System Restore points. Defragging an SSD will not kill it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's probably the System Restore points. Defragging an SSD will not kill it.

Defragging an SSD isnt good to do on a regular basis. It wont instantly kill the SSD  :P

Yea, it won't instantly kill it. But I am guessing he has done it a few times.

But now that I think about it, that wouldn't just make 100gb unaccessable. 

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

what app is that?

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

This is total BS.

You shouldn't defrag an SSD manually but if you do it isn't going to have a significant effect. It might have an impact on the older drives, but for newer drives it isn't a problem.

The space is likely to be used in sys vol so restore points, its worth checking the size of your WinSxS folder (not that you can do much about it) if you develop in .net your winsxs folder is going to balloon to stupid sizes 

Defraging won't kill an modern, good SSD (won't help though) but its absolutely pointless (see Fast as Poss 

) its to do with improving seek times on a physical disk, addressing on SSDs aren't affected by this.

appdata, system restore points, or just plain bullshitieness.

Hi!

So, yesterday I've decided to download Visual Studio 2013, to get into some programming. VS takes up about 10 GB storage space and installed it in my E: (HDD) drive. After it finished all of the installing, I've noticed that my C: (SSD) drive has only +17 GB left of 250! I usually don't install anything on my SSD, and I checked a few hours before and it had atleast +150 GB of storage.

I've tried disk cleanup, ccleaner and defrag - didn't help at all. I've tried manually looking at how much storage do all the folders (hidden folders, too) take up and it's not even close to being that much. Afterwards I used SpaceSniffer to determine what takes up storage. It showed that I have over 100 GB unaccesible memory.

I have Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD.

I deleted some junk, so now I have 28 GB.

attachicon.gifStorage (spacesnifferr).jpg

Thanks for help!

Alrighty so ive noticed a bunch of things that "steal" your space.

1. having hibernation turned on eats as much space on your drive as you have RAM. (16 gigs of RAM steal 16 gigs of space on your SSD). To turn it off open a system level CMD (type CMD and right click and select run as administrator) and type "powercfg –h off" (without the quotes).

2. Disable file content indexing. Essentially its unecesary becuase of the speed of an SSD and disabling this will actually speed your computer up a bunch. It wont necesarily free so much space but you should turn it off. To turn it off right click on your SSD drive and click properties, and on the bottom of the popup click the box that says Allow files on this drive to be.....

3. This one also hogs as much (or more) RAM that you have in your SSD. Its your paging file. Actually her is an article that explains everything and you can find how to decrease your paging file and more here. 

http://www.pvladov.com/2012/10/free-up-disk-space-on-ssd-in-windows-7.html

So, it seems that for some reason my PC decided to make +100 GB worth of System Restore Points (as some of you said)...

Thanks for superb help, Everyone!  :)