Does anyone have an OLED?

Andrewf

I have just been drooling over them since the first day they were released. Obviously if I could afford one, I would get one. Once they are affordable, it is by far my top priority. Every time I go to Best Buy, I have to sit there and stare at the only OLED they have on display. While all these other curved LEDs are mocking the one true curved display.

I actually really hate how they started curving LEDs, the reason they curved OLEDs was, because they could, and so that people could easily distinguish the two technologies. So much for that.

Anyway, what do you guys think about the technology, are you as obsessed as I am? I think they're rightfully taking the place of plasma. They're the best part of a plasma and an LED, I mean, they're perfect, are they not!?

post-183399-0-00845300-1425503981.jpg

would love to get a OLED some day, but without proper Internet I wouldn't be able to watch 1080p Movies so that would suck, and I would start hating my Internet even more so no OLED for me ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Aren't oLED the ones where the screen turns off to show deep black colours??

CPU: Intel Core I5 4590 | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC | Mobo: ASRock Fatality H97 Performance | Ram: HyperX Fury 8gb 1866 | SSD: Intel 520 series 240 GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Aerocool DS 200 red/black | Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X | PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 620w | Monitor: AOC i2367fh & old HP | OS: Windowws 7

I have just been drooling over them since the first day they were released. Obviously if I could afford one, I would get one. Once they are affordable, it is by far my top priority. Every time I go to Best Buy, I have to sit there and stare at the only OLED they have on display. While all these other curved LEDs are mocking the one true curved display.

I actually really hate how they started curving LEDs, the reason they curved OLEDs was, because they could, and so that people could easily distinguish the two technologies. So much for that.

Anyway, what do you guys think about the technology, are you as obsessed as I am? I think they're rightfully taking the place of plasma. They're the best part of a plasma and an LED, I mean, they're perfect, are they not!?

no the curved oled thing is because of the viewing angles. not the fact that they are oled

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Aren't oLED the ones where the screen turns off to show deep black colours??

Yes, basically instead of having the same backlight for all the panel, each pixel makes it's own light, so the black pixels can be turned off completely while other pixels are still on.

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

no the curved oled thing is because of the viewing angles. not the fact that they are oled

Sure, it has great viewing angles. It was either LG or Samsung that said though that curving them was a great way for people to tell the difference. There's also that sweet spot, but it's very specific, and would need a very very large TV to allow a few people to be in it.

OLED TVs have an organic light emitting diode, that can turn off completely. They can also get very bright (compared to plasma) There are LEDs that get brighter, but the gap was shortened with one of the newer OLEDs. CNET is the place to read reviews. There are LEDs that have better color accuracy, and what have few, but OLED is by far the best overall picture of any TV, ever.

Yes, basically instead of having the same backlight for all the panel, each pixel makes it's own light, so the black pixels can be turned off completely while other pixels are still on.

Which is part of the reason they can be so stupidly thin. The previous generation PSP was actually OLED, I can't remember why they discontinued it.

They are unbelievably thin. Seriously.

Sure, it has great viewing angles. It was either LG or Samsung that said though that curving them was a great way for people to tell the difference. There's also that sweet spot, but it's very specific, and would need a very very large TV to allow a few people to be in it.

OLED TVs have an organic light emitting diode, that can turn off completely. They can also get very bright (compared to plasma) There are LEDs that get brighter, but the gap was shortened with one of the newer OLEDs. CNET is the place to read reviews. There are LEDs that have better color accuracy, and what have few, but OLED is by far the best overall picture of any TV, ever.

ik.... whats your point exacly ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I have an OLED phone, does that count

Why, yes it does. Same technology. Have you tried watching movies on it yet?

Why, yes it does. Same technology. Have you tried watching movies on it yet?

Yes. That's pretty much the primary use for my Note 3 aside from regular phone tasks like texting and Facebook. It's fantastic. 

Last movie I watched on it was Big Hero 6 and it was amazing. Colors super vibrant and blacks are downright pure.

"Rawr XD"

Yes. That's pretty much the primary use for my Note 3 aside from regular phone tasks like texting and Facebook. It's fantastic. 

Last movie I watched on it was Big Hero 6 and it was amazing. Colors super vibrant and blacks are downright pure.

I envy you! I wish they started making OLED monitors. I don't see why they can make phone and tablet sized ones, and not 20-40" sizes.

I envy you! I wish they started making OLED monitors. I don't see why they can make phone and tablet sized ones, and not 20-40" sizes.

Samsung was huge into OLED TVs, but they're actually starting to move away from them and towards "quantum dot" TVs

"Rawr XD"

Samsung was huge into OLED TVs, but they're actually starting to move away from them and towards "quantum dot" TVs

I've never heard of quantum dot, actually. Maybe in passing. It seems interesting, but it's still expensive to make. Why are they moving away from Oleds? These quantum dots require another lay, making the LED TVs thicker, not that they're thick. I just think OLED is superior in every, even though the blue color degrades and is noticeable after a while, but a long while, maybe two years of regular use.

I've never heard of quantum dot, actually. Maybe in passing. It seems interesting, but it's still expensive to make. Why are they moving away from Oleds? These quantum dots require another lay, making the LED TVs thicker, not that they're thick. I just think OLED is superior in every, even though the blue color degrades and is noticeable after a while, but a long while, maybe two years of regular use.

"Rawr XD"

That's a great explanation. I do like the idea, I wouldn't quite call much of a new technology though, it sounds more like a "feature" just like local-dimming, it was totally new, and allowed better contrast and it required a very different process to make. These quantum dots are definitely not replacing OLED, though. He even explains that an OLED is very easy to notice because of how good it looks. These quantum dots, although cheaper, don't fix the huge problems in many LED tvs either. My monitor i'm on now has pretty obvious brighter edges, and it just pisses me off, quantum dots wouldn't fix that.