My first impressions of the Monoprice Blue Switch Gaming Mechanical Keyboard.

Hi everyone,

I just received the keyboard mentioned in the Title in the mail, and these are my first impressions of it.

Do note that I have never owned a Mechanical Keyboard before, and that this is my first one. Sorry if any pictures are low quality. Camera on phone is all I got.

9199816730_35a9aea14f_k.jpg

First I'd like to address some of the often complained about things in reviews for this keyboard:

1. "Blue LED's for Number, Scroll, and Caps lock are too bright." 

While they are very bright, they are only noticeably so when you look at them at a 90 degree angle. If I stare directly at them, they actually hurt my eyes when viewed at that angle. If you see them at an off-set angle (like the angle you see them at while you are typing or something equivalent), then they are just right imo. Not too bright, not too dull.

This is only a concern if you often look directly down at your keyboard often, which I seriously doubt many people do.

Takeaway: Not a big concern at all.

2. "The key font wears off quickly."

While I haven't had this keyboard long enough to experience this, the texture of the keys is awesome. I love it. However, I can easily see the above problem existing with this type of finish. It's very textured, but if it's poorly done, it will likely wear off quickly indeed.

I'll update this as I own it and use it longer. 

However, if you are buying this keyboard (which is only $58 without shipping), and you find this a major problem, I suggest buying all new keys from www.wasdkeys.com and just replace them as they wear out. It might cost a bit, but it will let you customize the keyboard to your liking.

Takeaway: To be determined, but replaceable if necessary.

Update: I've used it extensively for 6 months. The font has yet to noticeably change at all. 

3. "The keyboard has a gloss finish."

While it is true that this keyboard has a gloss finish, it's a very high quality one. The texture of it is very smooth.

I don't have much issue with getting my keyboards and other peripherals dirty because of how I choose to eat and other things, so I don't have much problem with this.

Although it is a keyboard, meaning you have to touch it with your fingers a lot, the keys themselves aren't glossy. Of all things to get dirty, it would be them. 

The only time I notice smudges and fingerprints is when a light is directly reflecting off the keyboard (which the gloss finish makes possible), but any other time, to me, it's unnoticeable. 

If it does truly bother you, there are also methods to changing the board's appearance in the form of plasti dip, or other similar products.

Takeaway: It isn't a negative to the aesthetics of the keyboard for me, but is replaceable as well if you desire to.

9199813668_a5c0a929f9_k.jpg

First impressions:

The first thing I noticed about the keyboard when taking it out of the box was the weight. This thing is heavy compared to my other keyboard ($10 Logitech membrane from Walmart). The second thing I noticed was that it was very large.

This is a fairly big keyboard, even considering it is a full version rather than a tenkeyless. Not just in length, but in heighth as well. This is all relative to my old keyboard, but it is large by most comparisons that I can find.

The next thing I noticed was the gloss finish with the textured keys. Although some have issues with a gloss finish, on this keyboard, I like it. Because it's very dark color, finger prints seem like far less of a problem. The texture on the keys is awesome and feels very high quality. Almost like a matte black finish with the texture to go along with it. 

Although this is indeed my first mechanical keyboard, I have to say I love typing on it. The keys' distinctive click (due to the keyboard having Blue Switches) is very loud, but in a pleasing way. At first I thought they were so loud that I wouldn't be able to hear myself think while typing, but that went away within 5 minutes of use. I chose Blues because after testing them out at a local Microcenter alongside Reds and Browns, I felt that I wanted the distinctively loud click. I'm not disappointed in that decision, at all. Every single key has a Cherry MX Blue switch under it, even the space bar, although I've heard some Blue Switch Mechanical Keyboards have Green Switches under the space bar with Blues under everything else.

I tried Linus' "keyboard flex test" to measure build quality. Although the keyboard does give way a slight bit, it isn't much at all. It feels very sturdy. The weight probably adding into this as well.

The rubber feet are very sturdy and feel high quality. They are long, so as to have more grip, and feel like they'd be hard to break off. To the point where you'd have to actually be trying to do it to succeed at it.

The packaging from Monoprice was in very good condition. They are well known, to me and others, as having high quality products and shipping, and this time is not any different. The only thing that came with the keyboard was a small manual. No other accessories or anything else was in the box.

Conclusion:

Although this keyboard lacks some of the more premium features of other mechanical keyboards manufactured by Ducky or Filco, such as back lighting or a large choice in colors/switches, I feel it is very high quality in what it does offer.

For $58 without shipping, I would buy this again. It's a great choice for someone buying their first mechanical keyboard.

9/10, easily. 

If anyone has any questions about the keyboard, I'd be happy to answer them. I'll probably update this or something as I use it and I have more experience with it.

Thanks,
Vitalius

Note that I will be editing this although it is posted. I wanted to add some things, so check back later just in case I add something. The overall impressions won't change. 

9197026105_e7670365e1_h.jpg

Update:

My disassembly of the Keyboard.
My in-depth review of the Keyboard.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Nice review. Just so you know the letters are probably laser etched with white infill. The infill wears out/off quickly. This is nothing new and has happened even way back with the SteelSeries 7G.

Nice review. Just so you know the letters are probably laser etched with white infill. The infill wears out/off quickly. This is nothing new and has happened even way back with the SteelSeries 7G.

Hmm, that makes sense.

Thanks for the info.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Hmm, that makes sense.

Thanks for the info.

no problem, glad to see someone review this cheap of a board seriously. Would you be up for cracking her open at all to snap some naughty pics of the inside?

no problem, glad to see someone review this cheap of a board seriously. Would you be up for cracking her open at all to snap some naughty pics of the inside?

Yes. Let me use it for a while and just enjoy having a Mechanical Keyboard. First one I've had. Really loving it.

Then (maybe in this weekend), I'll pop it open and do so. :D

† Christian Member †

Yes. Let me use it for a while and just enjoy having a Mechanical Keyboard. First one I've had. Really loving it.

Then (maybe in this weekend), I'll pop it open and do so. :D

Sounds good and have fun! Just so you may not type as fast as you do on a rubber dome or laptop keyboard right away but give yourself a few days of heavy use or a week or so of light use and you will be right back up to snuff if not faster.

If you have any question on how to get a keyboard open send me a pm or email. 

Edit: had to fix a few things

sounds good and have fun. You may not type as fast as you do on a rubber dome or laptop keyboard right awaybut give yourself a few days of heavy use or a week or so of light use and youll be right back up to snuff if not faster. And if you have any question on how to get a keyboard send me a pm or email. 

Will do. Thanks. :D

† Christian Member †

it's a mechanical keyboard, you can buy new caps if you have to :D

true but the caps would be as expensive if not  more in many cases.

A company could buy these keyboards in bulk, albeit probably in browns as blues can be distracting in the workplace. I would.

A company could buy these keyboards in bulk, albeit probably in browns as blues can be distracting in the workplace. I would.

They have Blacks with Headphone and USB hub for $66 (without shipping).

91801.jpg

91802.jpg

Nice review XD

† Christian Member †

I could definitely see getting gone of these for a parent/adult or anyone else who does a lot of typing but doesn't want a flashy keyboard. Thanks for writing up a review!

EDIT-You can upgrade the keyboard in your signature now!  :lol: Congratulations!

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

I could definitely see getting gone of these for a parent/adult or anyone else who does a lot of typing but doesn't want a flashy keyboard. Thanks for writing up a review!

EDIT-You can upgrade the keyboard in your signature now!  :lol: Congratulations!

Thanks, I didn't even think to do that. lol :D

† Christian Member †

• 1 month later...

As an update, here is my disassembly of the Mechanical Keyboard. I will be adding an in depth review of it then. As in depth as it can be (it will not be honestly, as there is not much to write beyond an updated as to what has been written here).

@TheProfosist You wanted it, well here it is :D. Hope it was in depth enough to show you what you were interested in. If you could give advice on fixing the things I broke (read the post in that disassembly thread and you will know what, but I do not want to spoil it), that would be great. I am sure it is as simple as soldering, but the metal plate could get in the way. We will see.

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

As an update, here is my disassembly of the Mechanical Keyboard. I will be adding an in depth review of it then. As in depth as it can be (it will not be honestly, as there is not much to write beyond an updated as to what has been written here).

@TheProfosist You wanted it, well here it is :D. Hope it was in depth enough to show you what you were interested in. If you could give advice on fixing the things I broke (read the post in that disassembly thread and you will know what, but I do not want to spoil it), that would be great. I am sure it is as simple as soldering, but the metal plate could get in the way. We will see.

Thanks,

Vitalius

I looked so what exactly is broken and when you took the switch out did you desolder it or no?

I looked so what exactly is broken and when you took the switch out did you desolder it or no?

The switch simply does not work anymore. And no, I did not desolder it. I simply pulled the whole switch out with pliers. :| Yeah. 

9498780116_1750b2ef40_b.jpg

The smaller dot is where a silver looking pin on the under side of the Switch goes. It looked like that pin has a wee bit of solder on the tip of it. SO yeah. That is likely the problem. 

It is taking all that apart to resolder it that I am at a loss about. I did not take the metal plate off the PCB and it looked like I would have to take ALL the switches off to do so. Which means resoldering them all. It would be work. *sigh*

Still, thanks for the help.

† Christian Member †

The switch simply does not work anymore. And no, I did not desolder it. I simply pulled the whole switch out with pliers. :| Yeah. 

The smaller dot is where a silver looking pin on the under side of the Switch goes. It looked like that pin has a wee bit of solder on the tip of it. SO yeah. That is likely the problem. 

It is taking all that apart to resolder it that I am at a loss about. I did not take the metal plate off the PCB and it looked like I would have to take ALL the switches off to do so. Which means resoldering them all. It would be work. *sigh*

Still, thanks for the help.

the solder is on the other side of the PCB. I would need a pic of that. my guess not is that you ripped out a trace and thats why other keys dont work.

the solder is on the other side of the PCB. I would need a pic of that. my guess not is that you ripped out a trace and thats why other keys dont work.

No, the only two keys that do not work are the two keys that I removed the Switches of. 

In other words, in the picture in the quote, that is the Page Up key. I did the exact same to the Up Arrow key. Those are the only two that do not work. The rest are fine. 

I am thinking that where the Switch connects to the PCB via Solder is what I broke. That is just my guess of course. I cannot see it, so that is my best guess.

9498781596_828894fd84_b.jpg

The left side of the picture is where the bottom of the switch is. The silver/metal looking pin coming off the bottom is what I am talking about. See that bulge of (what I assume to be) solder at the tip of it? That.

† Christian Member †

thanks for the info. wish you could add pics

Aselwyn1

No, the only two keys that do not work are the two keys that I removed the Switches of. 

In other words, in the picture in the quote, that is the Page Up key. I did the exact same to the Up Arrow key. Those are the only two that do not work. The rest are fine. 

I am thinking that where the Switch connects to the PCB via Solder is what I broke. That is just my guess of course. I cannot see it, so that is my best guess.

9498781596_828894fd84_b.jpg

The left side of the picture is where the bottom of the switch is. The silver/metal looking pin coming off the bottom is what I am talking about. See that bulge of (what I assume to be) solder at the tip of it? That.

whe you took the switches out did you de solder them and when you put them back in resolder them?

whe you took the switches out did you de solder them and when you put them back in resolder them?

Nope. I pulled them out with some pliers. Then I pushed them back into place and left it as it was. I did not realize, when I did this, that I needed to desolder/resolder them. The Switches I got from www.wasdkeys.com have the same pin and I figured it worked like most things do. Modularly. 

† Christian Member †

Nope. I pulled them out with some pliers. Then I pushed them back into place and left it as it was. I did not realize, when I did this, that I needed to desolder/resolder them. The Switches I got from www.wasdkeys.com have the same pin and I figured it worked like most things do. Modularly. 

nope with mechanical switches every switch is individual and soldered. You should have check the back of the PCB or asked. You should be able to just resolder the new switches on now pertaining you didnt pull off the pad.

Im also surprised you were able to pull a switch off wither they used very little solder cause it a cheap board or you applied a ton of force, maybe both.

nope with mechanical switches every switch is individual and soldered. You should have check the back of the PCB or asked. You should be able to just resolder the new switches on now pertaining you didnt pull off the pad.

Im also surprised you were able to pull a switch off wither they used very little solder cause it a cheap board or you applied a ton of force, maybe both.

Cool. I did not think to ask. Was not very worried about it. 

That seems simple enough. But how would I get to the part I need to solder? That spot is between the PCB and the Metal Plate. I would have to remove all of the switches then remove the metal plate then resolder them all on without the plate. Sounds like... quite an ordeal.

They are layered like this:

Metal Plate -> Yellow PCB -> Green PCB (Where it is soldered)

How would I solder it through that yellow PCB when trying to put the switch into that square hole to cover it? 

9498778350_b1b5182af3_b.jpg

I suppose I would just use the back of the PCB like it appears they did. Just desolder the points (once I find them), reinsert the switch, resolder, and done. Though I do not know how that would work considering how I remove them (brute force). 

Another option, This: 

Basically, they stick the PCB into a microwave and use that to heat up the solder until it hits the point where it can "flow" again, then let it cool off, effectively resoldering the point. At least that is how I figured it worked.

Could I do that? Too crazy?

† Christian Member †

thanks for the info. wish you could add pics

Check it again.

I guess I will have to make a thread showing my journey in trying to fix them. Will do. Once I get another Mechanical Keyboard (probably a red switch one this go around), I will do so and experiment with further taking apart the keyboard and trying to resolder the broken switches. That should be fun.

Expect it after the 9970 drops and I own one.

† Christian Member †