EA Closes SimCity Dev

themodernagenb

EA announced today (3/4/2015) that the developers to the SimCity franchise, EA Maxis, will close. This was a talented studio responsible for some of PC's greatest games. Maxis was best know for creating The Sims franschise and the polarizing game, Spore. They are the 10th studio EA has shut down in the past 5 years.

"Today we are consolidating Maxis IP development to our studios in Redwood Shores, Salt Lake City, Helsinki and Melbourne locations as we close our Emeryville location," said EA in a statement.

It should be noted that this news should not alter the work being done on latest installment of The Sims (The Sims 4), since it is being developed by a different studio.

Thoughts go out to all those affected.

http://www.beyondsims.com/55229/ea-closes-maxis-emeryville/

10/10 great post, didn't even bother to mention this is the office that made sim city and spore while there's another office that make the sims, for a sec i though they killed all of maxis (though in reality is just a zombie now days)

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

We need maxis to come back and make another PROPER SimCity game.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

10/10 great post, didn't even bother to mention this is the office that made sim city and spore while there's another office that make the sims, for a sec i though they killed all of maxis (though in reality is just a zombie now days)

You discovered how the sausage is made. Admittedly, I just post the bare bones so no bastard claims it's a repost, then I develop the post further.

We need maxis to come back and make another PROPER SimCity game.

A proper "sequel" to SimCity 4, systems now have far more system memory, video memory, multi monitors, higher resolutions. 16 x 16 km city squares?

Not shocked or upset by this.

My only hope is the people who made all the bad choices during the development of SimCity are the ones being let go and the people who had no choice but to follow orders are being merged into other studios.

A proper "sequel" to SimCity 4, systems now have far more system memory, video memory, multi monitors, higher resolutions. 16 x 16 km city squares?

Don't get me horny!

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

they had it coming when they destroyed the SimCity franchise.

That being sad, It sucks that people will lose jobs because of this, and they probably had nothing to do with the terrible decision making.

so far, cities skylines looks way better than sim city. I am eager to purchase this game and replace sim city with it. however like all games, i will wait till a through review of the game has been released and i feel its worth its price tag. 

CitiesSkylines-780x353_1.jpg

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

EA got the Golden Poop award, so i am not surprised 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Oh wow, hope things work out for those without a job now.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

That sucks. SimCity sucked because of the decisions EA made, but it was actually a pretty good game.

rip in piece maxis

sadviolin.mp3

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

so far, cities skylines looks way better than sim city. I am eager to purchase this game and replace sim city with it. however like all games, i will wait till a through review of the game has been released and i feel its worth its price tag. 

CitiesSkylines-780x353_1.jpg

From what I've seen, it almost definitely will be worth the money. Not least because it's only 30 dollars (something like 21 on GMG). City plots, for example, start at 2x2km (the maximum you get in SC2013) and you can get another 8 plots of that size (another 24 if you use a mod menu checkbox).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I hate these fuckers even more each day.....

Kew7jqr.png

This looks pretty much wrong across the board

Sure Visceral is a skeleton crew but they are still around

Dice? isn't closed

Bioware is still in full force

Bullfrog is just now EA UK (besides their head staff left to go make his own company)

I was going to write that Blackbox couldn't maintain the quality in the NFS games, but holy shit they made NHL hitz, the best hockey game RIP

Rip Maxis

Besides Origin is a good service, that way i can lend my friends my EA games without giving out my steam, same reason i like uplay now

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

That sucks. SimCity sucked because of the decisions EA made, but it was actually a pretty good game.

rip in piece maxis

sadviolin.mp3

I dunno, i'd like to believe that, but the whole game was massively inferior to the previous game, especially in the terrible design choices like the forced online and the one entrace to a city, the small city sizes, 

Maxis was dead after the Sims 2 for all i care

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I dunno, i'd like to believe that, but the whole game was massively inferior to the previous game, especially in the terrible design choices like the forced online and the one entrace to a city, the small city sizes,

Maxis was dead after the Sims 2 for all i care

Well, the small cities were needed because of the always online, which EA probably forced Maxis to implement.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Dice? isn't closed

Bullfrog is just now EA UK (besides their head staff left to go make his own company)

I was going to write that Blackbox couldn't maintain the quality in the NFS games, but holy shit they made NHL hitz, the best hockey game RIP

Rip Maxis

Besides Origin is a good service, that way i can lend my friends my EA games without giving out my steam, same reason i like uplay now

Yep, and Black Box also isn't really gone they moved them into Criterion and removed them again and changed the name to ghosts or something like that.

And criterion is working again on something new not NFS related while ghosts is making NFS again.

And the studio that was working on Medal Of Honor didn't get closed either they just renamed them to DICE LA.

RTX2070OC 

Well, the small cities were needed because of the always online, which EA probably forced Maxis to implement.

I don't really believe in the Big Bad EA narrative here, old maxis was always moving in this direction with City connections selling water, electricity and stuff like that, i think they thought it was a good idea, They made the Cities smaller under the guise of performance on low end machines, but i think it was to get people to share materials and act like one big city, instead of a bunch of larger collected cities in an area.

The game was also massively simplified, lacked teraforming, subways, god mode, powerlines and water, the Agents stystem was broken the list goes on

Spent a lot of time playing SimCity when I was a kid. Loved it. Sad to see Maxis' decline and eventual death. Truly a shame.

Looked into Cities Skylines. Looks very promising! Going to be eagerly waiting the reviews on the 10th. :)

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Dice? isn't closed

Rip Maxis

Fine, if you wanna be anal about details. Its meant to show that the studios DO NOT make the same quality if games ever since EA took over them vs when they were stadalone development studios, irrelevant if they fully "died" or not.   Now go away, I need to cry

http://kotaku.com/an-updated-list-of-studios-ea-has-bought-and-then-shut-1689498614