Help with a new powerline

yannickverc

Hello everyone

I use a powerline to get a LAN connection to my PC, I'm currently using a Sweex LC503 PL Kit 2x 500Mbit White and I was happy until a while back.

I have like 160 MB down but this is what I get when I do a speedtest (pic), I know it's still not that bad, but when I pay for 160MB I want to get 160MB.

Any of you have a good suggestion on what powerline I should use? (I know it's better to just use lan instead, but I can't use it)

I don't care about the price

thanks.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

What do you get if you plug directly into the router? It's likely you're paying for "up to 160Mb/s" (Also, be careful with the capitalisation of "MB". Network speed is measured in "Mb/s [Megabits/s] not MB/s [Megabytes/s])

What do you get if you plug directly into the router? It's likely you're paying for "up to 160Mb/s" (Also, be careful with the capitalisation of "MB". Network speed is measured in "Mb/s [Megabits/s] not MB/s [Megabytes/s])

Oh, at first I thought this was a problem from the provider, but then I plugged it into the router and I got the promised speeds

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Does your hardware support the newest powerline standard (Powerline AV500)? If it does, new hardware probably won't make much of a difference. Powerline connections are very susceptable to degragation from other household appliances. Try to unplug things like phone chargers or other things around the house that convert AC to DC, that could make a big difference..

Does your hardware support the newest powerline standard (Powerline AV500)? If it does, new hardware probably won't make much of a difference. Powerline connections are very susceptable to degragation from other household appliances. Try to unplug things like phone chargers or other things around the house that convert AC to DC, that could make a big difference..

I think my hardware can handle it pretty good..

I think my hardware can handle it pretty good..

Okay so the next step would be unplugging things in your home that could intefere with the connection. Floresent lamps, fans, and any device that converts AC to DC such as phone chargers.

Make sure it is plugged directly into a socket not a 4 gang or anything like that, it destroys the speed, old house wiring can cause issue too.

Okay so the next step would be unplugging things in your home that could intefere with the connection. Floresent lamps, fans, and any device that converts AC to DC such as phone chargers.

Make sure it is plugged directly into a socket not a 4 gang or anything like that, it destroys the speed, old house wiring can cause issue too.

I can't really disconnect the other devices.. 

I've been looking at some powerlines and I noticed some powerlines that have double the speeds of the one I have now, would that make any difference?

(I was looking at AVM FRITZ!POWERLINE1000E SET INTERNATIONAL)

If you are plugging it into a 4 gang that is your issue, I had the same issue as my house only has 2 sockets per room. I have no idea if a higher spec one will fix the issue but would love to know the answer if you try.

Your problem is that you bought something from Sweex, a company that makes things so cheap that they are shit.

Much higher than 100mbs isn't possible at this point so the "500gb" connection you are seeing there is more an estimate of the build quality than a promise for that speed.

You don't need the most expensive powerline (like the one from AVM), just don't buy a sweex one. 

Since you are from Belgium check this for some ideas: http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/5078/9-powerline-adapters-met-wifi-review

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Your problem is that you bought something from Sweex, a company that makes things so cheap that they are shit.

Much higher than 100mbs isn't possible at this point so the "500gb" connection you are seeing there is more an estimate of the build quality than a promise for that speed.

You don't need the most expensive powerline (like the one from AVM), just don't buy a sweex one. 

Since you are from Belgium check this for some ideas: http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/5078/9-powerline-adapters-met-wifi-review

Oh sweet! So you're very sure that that is my problem?

-edit-

I can only put it from the router into a socket, and then from another socket to a switch and then to my PC..

So I think I have too many sockets 

Oh sweet! So you're very sure that that is my problem?

I forgot to ask, is the internet cable running from the powerline to your computer ok? 

If it is, than...

Everything was alright before you said, so that makes bad wiring less probable, not impossible.

There are no guarantees with this, but let me put it this way:

If I were to pay the at least €50/Month for 160Mbs, and I'd only get 1/4 of the speed, I would try and spend the €50-70 on a new powerline, even if that might not help. If you buy it, try it out while leaving packaging fairly intact, and than don't notice any difference, you could always return it to the store.

EDIT: what ? A switch? that could be a bad connection as well. Could you explain the whole network of modem/routers a bit?

(\__/)

I forgot to ask, is the internet cable running from the powerline to your computer ok? 

If it is, than...

Everything was alright before you said, so that makes bad wiring less probable, not impossible.

There are no guarantees with this, but let me put it this way:

If I were to pay the at least €50/Month for 160Mbs, and I'd only get 1/4 of the speed, I would try and spend the €50-70 on a new powerline, even if that might not help. If you buy it, try it out while leaving packaging fairly intact, and than don't notice any difference, you could always return it to the store.

EDIT: what ? A switch? that could be a bad connection as well. Could you explain the whole network of modem/routers a bit?

Alright, I'll try to make it as clear as possible:

-Internet enters home -> modem

- Modem -> router 

- Router -> TV and powerline (which is in a socket with 8 plugs)

- Powerline in socket -> other end of powerline in socket with 3 plugs)

- powerline -> switch

- switch -> PC and PS4

-edit-

I could get a powerline with internal switch. Dunno if that would fix it. (Current switch has 8 ports, it does promise same speeds across all 8 ports)

Alright, I'll try to make it as clear as possible:

-Internet enters home -> modem

- Modem -> router 

- Router -> TV and powerline (which is in a socket with 8 plugs)

- Powerline in socket -> other end of powerline in socket with 3 plugs)

- powerline -> switch

- switch -> PC and PS4

-edit-

I could get a powerline with internal switch. Dunno if that would fix it. (Current switch has 8 ports, it does promise same speeds across all 8 ports)

Yes, extension sockets can harm speeds.  Plug things directly in the wall if possible. 

Try connecting internet from modem-->router-->powerline in the wall --> powerline in your room-->pc and check the speeds. If that still gets shitty speeds, replace the powerline. 

If not , add the switch at the end (for your ps4). Test again. It's probably not the switch, but doesn't matter if you test it. 

Don't forget if your testing internet connection speed that if other people on the connection are downloading like crazy, it will affect performance.

(\__/)

Yes, extension sockets can harm speeds.  Plug things directly in the wall if possible. 

Try connecting internet from modem-->router-->powerline in the wall --> powerline in your room-->pc and check the speeds. If that still gets shitty speeds, replace the powerline. 

If not , add the switch at the end (for your ps4). Test again. It's probably not the switch, but doesn't matter if you test it. 

Don't forget if your testing internet connection speed that if other people on the connection are downloading like crazy, it will affect performance.

Oh yea, I will try that out for sure! 

So if it still gives shitty speeds, getting a new one would increase my speeds I assume?

My parents barely know how to turn on a PC so I got no worries for other people on the network :P