Nvidia Shield Console

FuturedudeXD

So guys, i want to know what you think about the new console form Nvidia.

Do you think it is the console killer ?

Worth the price ?

So guys, i want to know what you think about the new console form Nvidia.

Do you think it is the console killer ?

Worth the price ?

Link pls? :D

I have not seen it (I know they had a conference or something yesterday) and could not find any news on it on my favorite tech news site  :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Link pls? :D

I have not seen it (I know they had a conference or something yesterday) and could not find any news on it on my favorite tech news site   :P

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/nvidia-announces-the-shield-console

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Is it really that cheap?

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

Looks like an Ouya 2.0 to me and we all know how well that went.

Also, 150ms latency, no thanks. Only thing that interests me is the streaming from my PC to TV, but it seems like Razer's Forge will do a better job at that for a cheaper price and knowing Nvidia, that will be locked to their GPU's like the handheld shield.

i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz | OC'd XFX R9 290 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | 650W Rosewill PSU | Rosewill Thor White V2 Case | Windows 8.1 | 1440p 144Hz Freesync 27" |1080p 60Hz 24"

Wait how is this in anyway news? There's not even a link or an image of the device...

As for the device itself I don't see a point to it at all being Android it has no games worth playing and can't compete with other consoles and it seems to just be the same as a Shield or Shield tablet in console mode so why on earth would anyone buy this over the tablet.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Yep. For 199 you get the console + controller.

If you have a good Internet connection you get something 5 times as powerful as the Xbone

5 times as powerful as the Xbox 360 wasnt it?

Anyway, I think it looks nice. Pretty cool that it can output 4K (video anyway :P ) and Im a little excited about it

Case Define r3 CPU 3930k GPU EVGA GTX 780 RAM 16GB Vengeance PSU Corsair HX750W SSD Samung 840 Evo 500GB + Corsiar Force 120GB + Samsung 840 250GB HDD 2x WD Blue 1TB + Seagate 2TB Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 Monitor Asus MG279 Headphones Sennheiser HD700 + Beyerdynamic T51p + Sennheiser ie80 Microphone Rode Podcaster  DAC/Amp Denon DA-USB300 + Schiit Valhalla 

I hope I get that thing in my country for that price.

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

The internet backbone in this country is not strong enough to manage low latency game streaming, and the hardware in this doesn't have a hope of running any triple A titles from any later than 2007

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

was about to make a topic about it. seems to be pretty cool.. but is it 200$ cool?

Also, 150ms latency, no thanks. Only thing that interests me is the streaming from my PC to TV, but it seems like Razer's Forge will do a better job at that for a cheaper price and knowing Nvidia, that will be locked to their GPU's like the handheld shield.

Its from a more trusted company than the people who made the Ouya, has better hardware, and isn't stated to need replacing yearly. 150MS isn't bad unless your playing competitive games for most people. It's also significalty cheaper than build a PC that would run it at the same settings as streaming it to this.

In the end its probably just not for you. If you just want inhome streaming, Steam has a $50 solution coming out for in home streaming to a TV/etc.

5 times as powerful as the Xbox 360 wasnt it?

Anyway, I think it looks nice. Pretty cool that it can output 4K (video anyway :P ) and Im a little excited about it

Twice as powerful as the 360, hes believe referring to the Nvidia GRID service allowing you to stream games from their cloud based gaming service, to a less powerful device but retaining the higher resolution and settings of a more powerful machine. 

Yep. For 199 you get the console + controller.

If you have a good Internet connection you get something 5 times as powerful as the Xbone

Yeah if you pay $200 bucks

Plus the best internet tier your provider has

Plus the subscription fee

Plus paying for each game as well

That whole show was cringe worthy

You get something "5x more powerful than an xbone" that has audio and video compression

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Yeah 150ms is only like one additional frame of latency past a tripple buffered game on console

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I like the idea, but the lag is too much but it will get improved and to stream from you green pc may make the deal.

"If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."   -Martin Luther King, Jr

aw i wanted something more powerful than current consoles and i dont think it will have very good game support

So Nvidia has finally entered the dirty console peasantry space, huh?

Seriously, not a console killer of any sorts according to what I see.

The NZXT Doko is much better.

Oh I almost forgot didn't Nvidia themselves bash consoles when they launched? Called them "low end" ?

LOLz :lol:.

Edited by Shahnewaz

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I think the idea is very interesting. If the experience is smooth without lag (a few stutters once in a while is acceptable today imo but the general experience must be butter smooth) then I'm very interested.

I wouldn't mind paying for Nvidia Grid, but it was stated in a video that the Grid subscription will "only" give you access to a number of games (50 or so, I believe). It is not the number of games that bothers me but the fact that you have to pay to get access to a new game (that is, you buy it) and THEN you have to pay to utilize the resources of the Grid to play it. So in order to play new games, you effectively pay twice.

I believe this potentially reduces the value of this console. We'll have to say how it all turns out upon launch, but right now I am interested but not entirely sold - primarily due to the above.

Since game with a controller like on any console, and given the fact that the Shield console streams PC games, I wonder how Nvidia will handle games which don't support controller input. Will you be able to plug in a keyboard and a mouse, will Nvidia find a way to force the game to support controllers, or will such games simply not be available to stream? Imagine playing RTS games like Starcraft 2 on the Shield Console via Grid streaming.

Also, will you play in the regular PC servers or special Nvidia Grid servers for multiplayer? If so, your playing experience requires others to adopt the Shield console as well, which naturally would not be an issue on regular PC servers. However, for instance Battlefield 4 launches through the browsers. How would the console do this?

Are any of these questions already answered? I think it will be interesting to follow the further development of this product.

I think i would easily buy the Steam Link + controller before this.

I got the Shield portable a couple of months after release. I like it for trips, and some streaming from pc to a different room. The portable is the way to go if you want a handheld but it isn't very good to hook up to another TV and use to stream from PC. You'll need a long HDMI cable. Basically making it a long wired controller. I had a bit of interest in the tablet because I thought it might be a nice in between of being a handheld, a streaming device, and maybe even basic tasks if I drop the Chromebook. The tablet could lay by the TV as the wireless controller came with me. I just couldn't justify the cost after buying the portable so recently at the time. The console on the other hand is pretty much just for streaming. There are some decent Android games but I have no intention of playing them if I am near my PC since they would both be at my house. As far as streaming it isn't like the hardware inside matters. Steam Link being 50 dollars means the Shield console is a no go for me. Though if they put out another tablet next generation I am interested in a good multipurpose device.

I'll probably buy one simply because ive been looking for a reliable solution to streaming my desktop PC to my TV for sofa gaming, Steam streaming was ok'ish but requires a PC on both ends and its a little choppy. I always stick with Nvidia cards too, not to mention the fact its only $200 :) 

The fact that Steam Link is going to be a thing at 1/4 of the price makes this kinda useless. Not that it was going to be much use for me anyways given I have an AMD GPU. What I find exciting about this whole deal is that they're pushing more and more power into lower powered devices. Something which I don't care that much about in my PC or under my TV but I do care about it in my portable devices.

If stuff like this being possible at this price means that next year Sony or Nintendo come out with a new portable console that can potentially beat 360/PS3 visuals? That's pretty cool. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I think the idea is very interesting. If the experience is smooth without lag (a few stutters once in a while is acceptable today imo but the general experience must be butter smooth) then I'm very interested.

I wouldn't mind paying for Nvidia Grid, but it was stated in a video that the Grid subscription will "only" give you access to a number of games (50 or so, I believe). It is not the number of games that bothers me but the fact that you have to pay to get access to a new game (that is, you buy it) and THEN you have to pay to utilize the resources of the Grid to play it. So in order to play new games, you effectively pay twice.

I believe this potentially reduces the value of this console. We'll have to say how it all turns out upon launch, but right now I am interested but not entirely sold - primarily due to the above.

Since game with a controller like on any console, and given the fact that the Shield console streams PC games, I wonder how Nvidia will handle games which don't support controller input. Will you be able to plug in a keyboard and a mouse, will Nvidia find a way to force the game to support controllers, or will such games simply not be available to stream? Imagine playing RTS games like Starcraft 2 on the Shield Console via Grid streaming.

Also, will you play in the regular PC servers or special Nvidia Grid servers for multiplayer? If so, your playing experience requires others to adopt the Shield console as well, which naturally would not be an issue on regular PC servers. However, for instance Battlefield 4 launches through the browsers. How would the console do this?

Are any of these questions already answered? I think it will be interesting to follow the further development of this product.

I also find the shield console very interesting, and certainly very innovative!  I think people are dismissing it without understanding it.  For example, the service charge for GRID is likely comparable to an XBOX live account, except that you get a ton of free games, and buying new AAA titles is what you do on any platform so there is no reason to complain.  Expecting new releases to be free because you pay $8/month for an account is asking way too much.

I don't know if its been confirmed, but I'm pretty sure you CAN use a keyboard and mouse on the Shield.  That was a feature built into the shield portable and even the shield tablet.

On latency, the 150 ms is on wifi, so if you plug it in you'll likely shave off another 10 to 50 ms.  And still, 150 ms is very good and not noticeable in most cases.  If you can get down close to 100 ms when plugged in, that is good enough for CS:GO.  Impressive.

Also, comments about the hardware not running new AAA titles is false.  It can run Crysis 3 "with all of the bells and whistles" (and some settings turned down I'm sure).  For a $200 machine, that is incredible.  They also demo'd Borderlands the Pre-Sequel ported to android and it runs just fine.

Also, don't forget it's also being marketed as a smart TV device, meaning it will replace the crappy interface of my shitty Sony BD player I've been using to watch netflix.  The interface on Shield is also very fast, even at 4k, which is something every other device struggles with.

For console purists, it might fall short since it's still a bit behind the current gen in terms of performance.  It doesn't fit into any current market category.  it's not just another apple TV device and its not just another console.  I think Nvidia has made a new category of device that can compete in both of those markets in a way nobody else has tried.

For me, I don't know if I'll buy one, I've spent my yearly computer hardware budget already!  I suppose it depends whether my wife is interested in it.  But I do think its a really cool idea.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build