Call of Duty Black Ops 2 causing problems with PS3

A few days ago, we got a PS3 for $50, which is a good deal as it's in damn well near perfect condition and works as it should. My main intent on getting a PS3 was so I could play Gran Turismo 5, one of my most favourite game series ever, but we also got a few other games with it.

We got Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 with it as well, which isn't a game that I would personally play, but a game that my brother would. However, it's causing issues with our PS3 when we try to play it. Initially, when trying to run it, the screen would go black and the TV (A 52" LG TV, unsure of the model) would display an "Invalid Format" message. The PS3 is connected via HDMI and we've tried the automatic reconfiguration of the display using the PS3, but that did not help. We tried updating the game from within the PS3's menu, and it updated; however, now when we try to boot the game, the screen will remain black for about 5 or 10 minutes, then the PS3 will beep a few times and restart, displaying a message that it wasn't shut off properly and that it would like to check the integrity of the system files. The game made the PS3 crash!

We have absolutely no issues with the other games that we have, and there are no other apparent issues with the system. 

I did some research and apparently this issue also occurs from time to time on newer PS3 systems with this game, but I haven't been able to find a definitive solution. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

Blops II destroyed my PS3's file system beyond repair, just to let you know. If it's one of the very early copies of the game then that's probably it, 3arc should have solved it with later copies.

There is no solution other than a new hard drive and never putting that disk in the system again.

Blops II destroyed my PS3's file system beyond repair, just to let you know. If it's one of the very early copies of the game then that's probably it, 3arc should have solved it with later copies.

There is no solution other than a new hard drive and never putting that disk in the system again.

Fortunately, my PS3 system is working just fine, even though the game crashed our system twice. Is there a way to know if we got an early copy of the game?

Fortunately, my PS3 system is working just fine, even though the game crashed our system twice. Is there a way to know if we got an early copy of the game?

Maybe by the serial number on the disk, I don't know. I got it day one, installed the textures and it just went to shit. :/

Maybe by the serial number on the disk, I don't know. I got it day one, installed the textures and it just went to shit. :/

Oh well. I'm not into those kinds of games, but my brother is, so we'll have to get another copy. Thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Seems like a burned disc, did you buy it from a shady place?

Seems like a burned disc, did you buy it from a shady place?

No, it's a legitimate, labelled copy. We got it from EB Games.

Make sure the console is also up-to-date.  I'd doubt there are any differences between the discs that were sold at launch and any of the others.  I doubt a game developer would go through the expense and trouble of re-publishing more discs and new cases when they can just push an update for it. 

Did you delete the game data and reinstall it? 

Make sure the console is also up-to-date.  I'd doubt there are any differences between the discs that were sold at launch and any of the others.  I doubt a game developer would go through the expense and trouble of re-publishing more discs and new cases when they can just push an update for it. 

Did you delete the game data and reinstall it? 

The system is completely up-to-date, as is the game. We've tried everything to make it work, but nothing has worked. That includes deleting and reinstalling the game data.

I'm not too concerned with this game not working because it's not me who wants to play it.