Can this build price be whittled down? + Suggested Sellers

cubby208
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Change the 5930K to a 5820K. You don't need the 5930K for 2 way SLI.

Subject 1

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cubby208/saved/#view=6smBD3

This is my build.  I was wondering if their are any parts that have an equivalent or slightly lower part that is a lower price.  The goal is to see if the price can go down more without sacrificing tons of preformance/quality.  My goal is to make this build last as long as possible.

You should know I am planning to do 2 way sli some day, and up to 64gb of ram

Also I am pretty sure I want the parts on the list below, I probably wouldn't change them.. however I could be reasoned with

CPU

GPU

PSU(I need the watts for when I have more ram and graphics)

If you have the time please write out what I sacrifice by changing the reticular part.

Subject 2

Out of these companies can you answer the questions base on your experience?

Amazon

SuperBiz

Outlet PC

NCIX (USA)

Newegg

1. Lets say i got a part them bent a wire or something... which seller if any would be the most sympathetic

2. Who has easy returns

3. Who has good customer service

4.Who will always ship the right part

5. Which sellers would probably deliver most parts in under 1.5 weeks on the lowest rate?

6. Also are their any pcpartpicker.com sites to avoid?

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU Much!!!

I'd say change the wireless mouse to wired. 

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

You don't need a blu ray writer unless you expressly plan on watching blu rays. The highest rated cheap ASUS read/writer drives are good enough, that should save you around 15-20 bucks. Not that much, but it's something. Also, why on earth are you getting a wifi card? For a build this expensive, why would you ever subject yourself to anything less than physical connection, or at the very least, powerline?

Subject 1

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cubby208/saved/#view=6smBD3

This is my build.  I was wondering if their are any parts that have an equivalent or slightly lower part that is a lower price.  The goal is to see if the price can go down more without sacrificing tons of preformance/quality.  My goal is to make this build last as long as possible.

You should know I am planning to do 2 way sli some day, and up to 64gb of ram

Also I am pretty sure I want the parts on the list below, I probably wouldn't change them.. however I could be reasoned with

CPU

GPU

PSU(I need the watts for when I have more ram and graphics)

If you have the time please write out what I sacrifice by changing the reticular part.

Subject 2

Out of these companies can you answer the questions base on your experience?

Amazon

SuperBiz

Outlet PC

NCIX (USA)

Newegg

1. Lets say i got a part them bent a wire or something... which seller if any would be the most sympathetic

2. Who has easy returns

3. Who has good customer service

4.Who will always ship the right part

5. Which sellers would probably deliver most parts in under 1.5 weeks on the lowest rate?

6. Also are their any pcpartpicker.com sites to avoid?

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU Much!!!

1 question, why those monitors?

Change the 5930K to a 5820K. You don't need the 5930K for 2 way SLI.

@AcupunctureSoup: Probably will be doing some blu-rays.  And as far as the wireless card, I dont have ethernet where the computer is getting placed, and power line is out of my budget when I could just use less powerful wireless.

@lee32uk  GREAT POINT! I will look into this!

@melias24... Mabye

Thank you guys great tips!

What was it that you wanted to do with this pc? I'm pretty sure that build is all wrong, but it depends on your answer.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

@Sandals

That monitor is around my budget and looks like it would be a great one the one that is listed as 0$ is one I already own... Its an early 2000's LTX monitor with specs around that one.

What was it that you wanted to do with this pc? I'm pretty sure that build is all wrong, but it depends on your answer.

I am making a good

Schoolwork

VFX

Programming

3 Display

Music Composition

Future Proof (needs to last atlas 5+ years)

Gaming

Computer

I am making a good

Schoolwork

VFX

Programming

3 Display

Music Composition

Future Proof (needs to last atlas 5+ years)

Gaming

Computer

Huh... that.

Change the 5930k to the 5820k, as mentioned.

You won't be able to get 64gb of RAM with a 4x4 kit; you'll be limited to 32gbs. Although I think 32 will be plenty, I don't know VFX well enough to say 100% sure.

You can get cheaper 256gb SSD. The 850 is a bit of a waste. As long as it isn't Kingston V300, you are fine with pretty much anything else.

Last, I really recommend getting SLI gtx 970. By the time you'd want to get a 2nd 980, there will be other GPUs out there with much more power. 

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Thankyou for catching that.  I cant believe I made that mistake! I promised myself I would NEVER get a stick of ram less then 8gb.

Here is my rationale for the 980.  SLI sounds a bit messy. I would rather have a really good strong card at first.  Also it is slightly unlikely that I will be able to buy parts that are 300$ plus after my initial build.  I will have to think on it.

I just decided that i agree with the 5820k change that saves a ton of money! Way to go Lee32uk!

I think you can save some bucks swapping to a Fractal Design R4 case.
Also, that is a monster of a cooler. If you're not into OC, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is much cheaper and way better than stock cooler, even for an i7.

Good point! Thanks @pentotark.

So I want to say a big thanks to all of you guys who helped on this.  Ive got it at a good point right now!

@lmakuni, @lee32uk, @AcupunctureSoup

Im going to mark the solution as the one that saved the most money... but you guys all helped!

Huh... that.

Change the 5930k to the 5820k, as mentioned.

You won't be able to get 64gb of RAM with a 4x4 kit; you'll be limited to 32gbs. Although I think 32 will be plenty, I don't know VFX well enough to say 100% sure.

You can get cheaper 256gb SSD. The 850 is a bit of a waste. As long as it isn't Kingston V300, you are fine with pretty much anything else.

Last, I really recommend getting SLI gtx 970. By the time you'd want to get a 2nd 980, there will be other GPUs out there with much more power. 

?? The motherboard has 8 memory slots, two for each channel. So with a 4x4GB kit, max memory would be 48GB with an additional 4x8GB kit. And with a 4x16GB kit, which the board supports, up to 80GB of memory.

A 4x4 memory kit makes much more sense as it initially provides quad channel operation which does provide significant improved performance generally, although the improvement is fairly small in gaming.

@cubby208,

The EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR (Superflower) and XFX P1-850B-BEFX (Seasonic) are less expensive then the Lightning.

I would suggest a 4x4GB memory kit. Something like Crucial 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory, Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory, or Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory.

I don't know about the Lightning psu but the EVGA G2 850W psu comes with velcro cable ties.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.