sha-256 Alt Coins?

Okay, so there are no asic miners for sha-256 coins? is that correct?

If so it might make sense to jump on the wagon with a gpu that has been acquired on the cheap that's just laying around (I'm at uni atm free electric...well sort of)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

SHA-256 is what Bitcoin uses.

so what do other ones use that makes them unable to be asic mined?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

There are a dozen other algorithms but the three that are still active and does not have ASICs are X11, Scrypt-N and Lyra2RE.

Ahh, I see that's good, do any of the large alt coins use these? I'd like to get my feet wet with cpu or gpu mining a bit maybe for a month or so just for knowledge more or less, but profit is also nice.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Ahh, I see that's good, do any of the large alt coins use these? I'd like to get my feet wet with cpu or gpu mining a bit maybe for a month or so just for knowledge more or less, but profit is also nice.

fairly sure that dogecoin is a decent one for gpu mining.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Dogecoin use Scrypt which as been saturated with ASICs.

ah, alrighty :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Dogecoin use Scrypt which as been saturated with ASICs.

can any algorithm be made to accomadate ASICs? or are some impervious to that?

Edit: because I'm sort of looking for one that won't ever have ASICs as I think they are more stable with a broader population mining.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

The algorithms I mentioned are specifically designed to be ASIC resistant.

Oh, cool that's appealing. However, I assume resistant is far from full proof. Thank you for the information, I may look for one of these coins then to get my feet wet.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

check multipool if you are going to pool mine after plus scyrpt-n has really scummy asics right now but that means its borked try x11 it seems to be the most profitable for this 

Non-Major, Just started up...

https://www.ziftrcoin.com/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/320333-ziftrcoin/

ZiftrCOIN is not Asicbound yet.

It's currently CPU-ONLY (even playing field) for a little bit longer then moving into GPU mining.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz