Headphones make static sound

JanY

Yesterday I walked into my room and when I reached for my headphones I felt a spark in my hand. I also saw a blue line flash across my pc screen at the same time. I had touched the right ear cuff first and when I picked it up I could hear this sound like white noise but more inconsistent and slower, more like changing a radio station. Changing the volume has no effect and the sound is coming only out of the right side and not the left. I'm very sure the spark was caused by my t-shirt. If anyone can help me with this or just confirm if my headphones can't be fixed that would be great. I'll try to answer other questions you might need to help me.  Sorry for english.

What headphones are they, and what do you have them plugged into? Have you tried plugging them into a different device?

What headphones are they, and what do you have them plugged into? Have you tried plugging them into a different device?

Sennheiser HD 518, no I haven't tried a different jack either. I onnly turned my pc off and on again :P. It happened late at night at which point I just turned my pc off and this morning right before leaving for school I checked to see if it would be gone, it wasn't.

Sennheiser HD 518, no I haven't tried a different jack either. I onnly turned my pc off and on again :P. It happened late at night at which point I just turned my pc off and this morning right before leaving for school I checked to see if it would be gone, it wasn't.

Plug them into a completely different device, not just a different jack. I'd think you would break the onboard solution from a static discharge more than a simple component like a headphone.

Plug them into a completely different device, not just a different jack. I'd think you would break the onboard solution from a static discharge more than a simple component like a headphone.

I did and It worked, good news is my headphones are fine. I does still get the noise whenever I plug it back into my soundcard (asus xonar DG) so that might be ruined but it was only about 27 euro instead of 130 so I'm happy with this outcome. Needless to say I'm never wearing that shirt again  :P.