Should I get a new surge protector?

legend8887

The one I have now is several years old and I'm running out of places to plug things in. A new one is less than 30 dollars with 12 outlets on Newegg. What do you think?

12 sounds good

if youve got the $30 then go for it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The one I have now is several years old and I'm running out of places to plug things in. A new one is less than 30 dollars with 12 outlets on Newegg. What do you think?

As long as it's a well know or good quality surge protector that's rated for at least 1000 joules, being a very rough way of measuring a surge protector quality,in most cases it's fine. I usually recommend this one from APC, it will surge protect basically anything and everything with a good plug layout.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=P11VNT3

As long as it's a well know or good quality surge protector that's rated for at least 1000 joules, being a very rough way of measuring a surge protector quality,in most cases it's fine.

Surges that do damage can be hundreds of thousands of joules.  A thousand joules protector (which means it is really only 333 joules and never more than 667 joules) is near zero protection.

Better power strips are not surge protectors AND always have what is more important.  A (typically 15 amp) circuit breaker.

Power strip protectors can also create other nasty surprises.such as to compromise superior protection already inside a computer.  A hundreds joules surge is so tiny that a computer may convert that into clean and well regulated low voltages to power its semiconductors.  Power strip protectors often get recommended by many who never learn this stuff.

A thousand joules protector will do what for surges that typically cause damage?  It does not even claim to protect from that type of surge.  Put some ten cent protector parts inside a $3 power strip.  Sell it for $20 or $80.  What is its purpse?  Profits.

A completely different device, unfortunately called a surge proetctor, means everything in a house is protected.  But this well proven solutioin is virtually unknown when advertising is the information source.  Best power strip has the critically important circuit breaker and plenty of outlets.  Even better is when receptacles are spaced apart so that powre bricks do not obstruct adjacent receptacles.

-SNIP-

Yes you would be correct but that's was a very generalized way to classify the surge protector. Of course there are other factors such as a built in circuit breaker, power cut offs during over voltage situations and other safety features that make a good "surge protector"

Of course there are other factors such as a built in circuit breaker ,... that make a good "surge protector"

A circuit breaker or fuse is a safety device, as noted. Neither does surge protection.  A fuse or circuit breaker disconnects power AFTER damage is done.  So that a damaged appliance does not create a fire.

Surges are done in microseconds.  Fuse or breaker takes milliseconds to trip.  And then only creates a millimters gap that destructive surge current can still flow across.

A circuit breaker or fuse is a safety device, as noted. Neither does surge protection.  A fuse or circuit breaker disconnects power AFTER damage is done.  So that a damaged appliance does not create a fire.

Surges are done in microseconds.  Fuse or breaker takes milliseconds to trip.  And then only creates a millimters gap that destructive surge current can still flow across.

Yes I understand that a circuit breaker is used for preventing current being allowed to flowed into the device once it has been damaged or has a short circuit effectively cutting power to it. 

This is the suppressor I use: CyberPower RKBS15S2F8R 15A 10-Outlet 1U RM Rackbar Surge Suppressor. It's rack mountable, but you can leave the rack ears off. The beauty of this one and others like it is that the large flat body means you can attach it to the underside of your desk using double-sided tape (preferably 3M VHB to be sure you won't have any issues) and it'll stay flat and out of the way since it's only 1U thick (1.75"). This one also has outlets in the front, so you can attach it closer to the front of your desk to have an easy place to plug in chargers and the like while cable managing the cables going out the back. It's rated for 15A, which should be more than enough for whatever you're going to run on this.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6