Windows 10 MBR/GPT

Mushious

Heyoo,

So with Windows 10 coming out and using GPT instead of MBR, what's going to happen to people wanting to upgrade? At the moment the preview doesn't seem to offer any way to convert the drive without wiping it entirely. I know there are ways to circumvent data loss when changing between the two but, what's Microsoft gonna do?

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Where did you here it's going to GPT?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I haven't, but it really should. It's a lot safer and can use bigger drives. I have no idea if OP is right though.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Windows 10 definitely is not using GPT. Using it right now and I checked that it is still MBR.

The only related thing I can find is that "WIndows 10 can not be installed from a USB drive using GPT"

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

The installer won't let you install on MBR. I would assume that is just a tech preview thing though.

I agree with @EarthboundHero though. GPT is superior.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Windows 10 definitely is not using GPT. Using it right now and I checked that it is still MBR.

When did you install. I tried 3 days ago and it forced GPT. (only in VM though)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

When did you install. I tried 3 days ago and it forced GPT. (only in VM though)

VM is not the same as a physical machine. That happens with windows vms.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

Funny both 7 and 8 seem to work fine on MBR in VM's

Spoiler

Ahh right. that checkbox in the VM that says use EFI (That makes sense)

Should have known!

Spoiler

When I installed the preview (physical drive not VM), it refused to install on a MBR drive at the drive selection screen. Error message stated it required GPT. Upon changing the drive to GPT it installed fine.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

I havn't dabbled with Win 10 yet, but I've dabbled plenty with MBR/GPT partitions. It's possible to convert MBR to GPT without losing data. So hopefully Win 10 IS GPT, will make my life easier. Not worried about "what Microsoft will do". It's a fairly simple process, and i doubt they would include it in a preview release, as they don't WANT people using existing partitions. So if it's GPT, we'll likely see it in the consumer release, and knowing Microsoft - we'll never even know at what point during the install the conversion even happens.

MBR drives can be converted to GPT, but GPT cannot be converted back to MBR. It requires a wipe of the entire drive. When you boot with UEFI mode, the HDD is automatically partition as GPT. Boot from non UEFI mode, if you want to continue with the traditional MBR. 3TB OS drives must use GPT, MBR loses about 700GB of space (can't remember exact size).

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

If your motherboard uses BIOS, it will set your drive to MBR (as GPT it unknown to it).

If your motherboard uses UEFI, it will set your drive to GPT.

If your motherboard is those early BIOS+EFI hack for support for large drive, it will use MBR.

While you CAN convert MBR to GPT and the reverse, you would be missing the third boot partition that Windows does on GPT, for full UEFI support. Meaning, if you want to switch to UEFI mode, because all your components are UEFI ready, and you want 6sec from shutdown boot time, then you need to format and re-install.

If your motherboard uses BIOS, it will set your drive to MBR (as GPT it unknown to it).

If your motherboard uses UEFI, it will set your drive to GPT.

If your motherboard is those early BIOS+EFI hack for support for large drive, it will use MBR.

While you CAN convert MBR to GPT and the reverse, you would be missing the third boot partition that Windows does on GPT, for full UEFI support. Meaning, if you want to switch to UEFI mode, because all your components are UEFI ready, and you want 6sec from shutdown boot time, then you need to format and re-install.

So if they were to drop support for MBR they would also be dropping support for BIOS.

Well that's certainly not going to happen any time soon.

Spoiler

So if they were to drop support for MBR they would also be dropping support for BIOS.

Well that's certainly not going to happen any time soon.

Considering that Windows 10 STILL is available in 32-bit. I think it is a safe bet that this won't happen :)

In addition, you have more people using BIOS based system than 32-bit CPU, or need a 32-bit Windows for special drivers or 16-bit program support.

Basically, all people, such as myself, running on a first gen Core i3/i5/i7 uses the BIOS based system, or hybrid hacked up BIOS/EFI thing for large HDD support.

Sandy Bridge (second gen Core i3/i5/i7) is a mix of both, and also UEFI system, but not fully supported (just has the fancy looking menu, but it pretty much stops there)

Anything newer should be on fully supported UEFI motherboard.

I suggest back up the data, convert the boot drive into GPT, and get on with our lives.