Noob looks into: Cherry MX Switches

C0LL0SS0S

Hey guys,

I am about to buy myself a new keaboard, but struggle to decide between all those switch types, I reached out to Cherry and asked if I could have some samples of their most successful switches and surprisingly they sent out some really quick totally for free. After 3 days they finally arrived in a small envelope.

Cherry sent me:

2x Green Switches,

2x Blue Switches,

2x Brown Switches and

2x Red Switches.

I just got switches without the Keycaps, which in my opinion aren't needed at all to get the difference between those switches. Because I don't like the way pictures are handled in the forum, I bet that I am just too stupid, I made a Imgur Album to show off a few pictures I just quickly made: http://imgur.com/a/Go07B

Lets start with the Red Switches:
Altough many people seem to like them I really think they don't feel that good. They don't have any resistance and you can't feel anything while pressing them.

The Brown Switches:
They still don't have the "click" but you can feel some resistance and if you press gently you can feel the actuation point.

The Blue Switches:
Kinda my favourites with the greens, they are clicky and you clearly feel when they close the circuit, however the blues are too easy to press for or my taste.

The Greens:
Nice clicky sound, not as easy to press than the Blues and just feel the best. The only problem could be that the greens are not so easy to find in the keyboards I like.

Anyway I hope my little overview can help some of you to decide which switches are the best for them, I will like I said go with blues or green ones, I could imagine that many of you feel kinda the same about my decision.

Greets,

C0LL0SS0S 

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Nice. I really wish I could get some.

(you want some I'll give it ya)

Just try to write an email to Cherry, they are very friendly and you may also get some samples.

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Just try to write an email to Cherry, they are very friendly and you may also get some samples.

I could do. My parents may not accept tho :P

I could do. My parents may not accept tho :P

Your Parents shouldn't even notice it, they don't a Creditcard or something

Tried all the switches, and I liked browns the most, but it all depends on the persons preference

Tried all the switches, and I liked browns the most, but it all depends on the persons preference

Yeah totally, this is all just my preference of course

Blues <3 loud as fuk tho.

Thats true, but I really couldn't use reds or brown for a long time I think

Subjective, Browns are a good choice is you're coming from a membrane keyboard.

The transition from membrane to Browns is very natural IMO.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Keep in mind that mounted switches with keycaps will feel different than just pressing a switch. My first mech is one with brown switches because I wanted to play it safe but I think my next one will either be greens or clears, brown is a little too soft for my taste (I had a very stiff membrane keyboard before this), I do wish these weren't as uncommon as they are though :(

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

I really like the greens, the resistance back from them is just what I need in a keyboard.

Reds are ok but not something I would like to use when typing a lot.

Blues I could live with, not as hard to press as greens but the tactile and audible feedback really does help some.

Browns are totally fine by me. I don't mind them and would happily use them.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Blues <3 loud as fuk tho.

Not many people know this but you can muffle the click a little with a drop of oil in each switch. They still feel similar but aren't as loud. In fact, that's the very reason why an MX White is different from an MX Blue.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Not many people know this but you can muffle the click a little with a drop of oil in each switch. They still feel similar but aren't as loud. In fact, that's the very reason why an MX White is different from an MX Blue.

The reason i got it was because of the sound  :P

The reason i got it was because of the sound :P

Yeah me too. But it's the feel that really made me love it even more and I like to keep it even if housemates complain about the noise.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

My dad likes blues more, but since he works next to other people he got a brown kb. He thinks it's a good compromise.

I like blues since I'm still in school and usually I'm home alone so nobody yells at me. My mom says "get rid of that clicky typewriter," and I just sit there like thinking what she's been missing.

I used to have cherry clear 60% that I used for travel with my laptop, but the circuit board blew (un-fixable).

The switches feel and sound quite a bit different with a keycap mounted to it...

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I am really liking the blues so far but seriously they are loud, i am considering to get those rubber rings to reduce the noise.

They do feel really good while typing

Blues <3 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

fine choice if i do say so myself, cherry mx greens

are delicious to type on. Hard to find the perfect

keyboard though, there is a severe lack of media 

keys on my WASD keyboard.

Clears seems pretty nice aswell but probably as

rare as green, milk might be an option, but i keep

hearing about inconsitency and they are probably

even rarer than green. They should have sent you

more switches.

Subjective, Browns are a good choice is you're coming from a membrane keyboard.

You started out right :P i would probably say clear is 

more natural as you might bottom out a membrane

keyboard kinda harshly, but again. Depends on the 

person.

Reds are ok but not something I would like to use when typing a lot.

As a heavy typist using red for two years, i sincerely 

thought i had ruined my hands for life and it would 

severely impede my every day life from now on. Thank

god getting a keyboard with green switches helped.

The lightness of blues combined with clickyness made them my favourite. But I like the heavier blacks too.

BTW, if you want to you can combine switches and test for example clears too.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

fine choice if i do say so myself, cherry mx greens

are delicious to type on. Hard to find the perfect

keyboard though, there is a severe lack of media 

keys on my WASD keyboard.

You started out right :P

As a heavy typist using red for two years, i sincerely 

thought i had ruined my hands for life and it would 

severely impede my every day life from now on. Thank

god getting a keyboard with green switches helped.

Leave my opinion alooone. :P

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

• 1 month later...

Once you go black you never go back... But seriously though they're perfect for me, heavy enough to press and silent enough to not bother people around me.

"Once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can" - Hunter S. Thompson

Browns are by far the best. ;) 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"