Sound Card Suggestion

I will admit that i don't know much about audio. But i just bought a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, and i absolutely love them. Now i want a new sound card, right now i'm using the one in my motherboard, and it's decent, but i want something better. So what's a good sound card for around 70$?

Thanks!

any asus xonar

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I will admit that i don't know much about audio. But i just bought a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, and i absolutely love them. Now i want a new sound card, right now i'm using the one in my motherboard, and it's decent, but i want something better. So what's a good sound card for around 70$?

Thanks!

I have the M50x, and unless you spend more than what you spent on the headphones on a good USB DAC or sound card, and are always playing lossless files, you will not notice the difference. 

I have tried mine with both onboard, and, a $150 card, and do not notice any difference.

If you do get something, I would reccomend anything from the xonar line, or, a USB DAC. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

any asus xonar

If you do get something, I would reccomend anything from the xonar line, or, a USB DAC. 

Asus soundcards, and most soundcards in general for that matter, are poor choices for driving headphones due to the high output impedance. This lowers the damping factor and prevents the headphone amp from controlling the headphone drivers, lowering sound quality. Plus, a soundcard is still inside the system and subject to EMI, power fluctuations, and so on.

Better to stick with onboard or something cheap and external.

Thanks for the responses guys, i think i will stick with my onboard audio, and use the money for something else. 

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the responses guys, i think i will stick with my onboard audio, and use the money for something else. 

Thanks for the help!

If you have $70 or to spend, you should sell your M50X and grab another headphone

Asus soundcards, and most soundcards in general for that matter, are poor choices for driving headphones due to the high output impedance. This lowers the damping factor and prevents the headphone amp from controlling the headphone drivers, lowering sound quality. Plus, a soundcard is still inside the system and subject to EMI, power fluctuations, and so on.

Better to stick with onboard or something cheap and external.

i got rid of my onboard EMI by switching to an internal sound card

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you have $70 or to spend, you should sell your M50X and grab another headphone

I was not planning on buying the sound card right away, as said i don't know much about audio.

i got rid of my onboard EMI by switching to an internal sound card

And your personal experience trumps all reality.

The card is still inside the system, getting power through the motherboard. For many people nothing works but to go external.

The card is still inside the system, getting power through the motherboard. For many people nothing works but to go external.

no it just shows that you can greatly reduce EMI by just moving audio circuitry a few cm away from other power circuits

Spoiler

Well I still get USB noise / interference through USB powered amp. So probably the best choice is to go with separately powered amp :lol:

Well I still gets USB noise / interference through USB powered amp. So probably the best choice is to go with separately powered amp :lol:

Probably. Computers aren't the best source for audio in general.