Sweet thermal images of my gaming rig at PDX Lan 25!

Arct1c0n
Hey all! I had earlier account but for the life of me I can't remember login info and the old email I had was shut down due to spam, so I had to start all over here :(

Anyway, I had the awesome opportunity to get my newly upgraded gaming rig to be scanned by the awesome folks from PugetSystems during PDX 25 LAN the other week! It's amazing to see how much heat and were a computer makes that our naked eyes simply can't detect!

8et0Nw5.jpg

eDfUch1.jpg

CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo case

Intel i7 4790k at stock settings on Thermalright 140 True Spirit Power

Asus STRIX GTX 980 @ 1470mhz core/ 7.6ghz memory

Asus ROG Maximum HERO VII

16gigs G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400

Samsung 850 evo 500gig

WesternDigital 640gig Caviar Black

Soundblaster Z

Jgt7bqd.jpg

For a realistic heat load, I put on Dragon Age at 1920x1200P in windowed mode. For some reason, running in window mode made my GPU usage pegg to 100% load vs full screen mode that I normally play at, you can see temps at around 62c and the i7 at around mid 50's

5GU1bv3.jpg

Wow, check that out! Talk about seeing the invisible!

AU5hPTp.jpg

No heat in the front which makes sense

TJOkKE4.jpg

Peering down through the window

LgvMh41.jpg

Wow, look at how the heat radiates to through the case and even lexan window above GPU!

nlf5Vnp.jpg

A view through side panel into the inferno. Talk about so freaking cool!

gK2D7sN.jpg

For fun, me on thermal image while checking my computer

A8rS4SM.jpg

Wow, so thats the heat a dell 24" LCD monitor makes, just from LED's alone

JmwuFk3.jpg

Time for more scans closer up!

N56qdLY.jpg

How humans normally see things...

MXkxans.jpg

That STRIX 980 is by far the hottest thing, you can actually see the heat pipes glow white compared to the cool running HD below

aTzHM5O.jpg

Closer up view of HDD and SSD.  The thermal scanner averages what it see's, so a closer up view produces more thermal details of what is and cool, so be sure to note the scale to the right side

usMfbLw.jpg

Lava hot GTX 980, even with fans at 60% speed!

5gzFmdU.jpg

Wow, you can really see how the hot air radiates and warms up surrounding equipment!

732oyPa.jpg

View from the other side with panel off. I forgot to take more pics onsite, so these are earlier pics before I left for LAN party

jlX0YCA.jpg

Again, the 980 sticks out like a furnace. You can see the heat radiating to the lower level of the HAF XB, which is pretty amazing. The Corsair AX860 PSU is pretty cold in comparison as well as the CPU heatsink

CrVEtr5.jpg

Closer look at 140mm heatsink. Amazingly, the Thermalright 140 Power keeps pretty dang cool in comparison to the GPU roasting next to it. You can see the RAM and surround parts are also fairly cool

cWSZnuR.jpg

Man, that overclocked 980 behind the backplate is an oven!

FYGzIcj.jpg

View straight down, you can see the mobo VRM heatsinks actually being pretty warm, even at stock 4790k speeds

KYC40je.jpg

Wow, and this with no CPU oveclock, look at how warm those mobo power module heatsink get!

Nkof9G0.jpg

Another angle from other side. I took these pics earlier before LAN

h25tzj7.jpg

Again, that 980 is volcano of the system

Dgc0dTc.jpg

You actually see behind the fan were the GPU die is!

coVAqaD.jpg

la0Kp0s.jpg

Front top view. Again, I forgot to take pics at LAN so these are just for reference

UvcOEib.jpg?1

vVncFH0.jpg

No way, my Soundblaster Z core gets that warm? Who knew?

T7m0c6C.jpg

The Thermalright 140mm fan sure does a good job of keeping the 4790k cool for just air

NGyUGfA.jpg

Rear view of heatsink, you can see the heat rising from the heatpipes and onto the fins

W5fsYTK.jpg

Straight down, that GPU and mobo power VRM modules are toasty

BHS12F5.jpg

This one turned out a little weird, musta got camera too close.

I8QUMuD.jpg

Lets take a look from the rear. 

O1AzvLa.jpg

Its pretty warm in in the exhuast area! Look at the heat from that 980 and inside PSU!

sBpen4n.jpg

Took top off , still warm in there!

IuwfcZt.jpg

Amazing how much warm air that rear chassis fan is exhausting as well as the heat radiating to the rear of the case. I'm amazed something that hot is inside the Corsair AX860 power supply!

JME2mn1.jpg

Amazing, you can even see the fan get hub/motor warm in comparison

nopLZ24.jpg

A friend of mines custom water cooling beast. Lets see how water does!

MLxNCvD.jpg

Wow, totally different. And yet, the twin 780's glow warm even under water cooling

15e2nnj.jpg

The mobo is almost warmest part of the system!

T8rv9gy.jpg

Up close, you can see more details of the hotter parts.

ILcY6fa.jpg

Check out how warm those silverstone motors get in comparison to everything else!

MljuECr.jpg

You can actually see the hot water entering the radiator from the GPU's!

CTMuTXg.jpg

And this is what happens when you stack your hard drives!

WyUIJhd.jpg

This is what a thermal imaged LAN party looks like! The dark spots on the ceiling are the AC vents and the hot spots are the lights. At night, you can actually see the power conduits in the walls because we pull so much power! 

45Qepwm.jpg

No wonder LAN parties get hot inside!

omyEr73.jpg

I want to see what my rig looks like with 2 7970s that can get pinned at 80*C lol

Likely all white in the image lol

Likely all white in the image lol

I run them underclocked most of the time, because they can still max out any game with ease, and are dead quite. I love it.

But when its time to benchmark, all hell breaks loose. 

I wish I had a thermal camera for my rigs.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I wish I had a thermal camera for my rigs.

Wonder what kicks out more heat, 7950 triple slot cooler+ 7970, or your 7950 and 480. 

I Just need to get my buddies with 2x7950s and my other friend with 290. Then I can turn the houses heat off lol

That looks oh so cool!

I would love to have one for Tiddles. Would love to see my GPU under load teehee.

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

oh my this thread is the scroll of death 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

that guys watercooled rig near the end, all pretty low temps just showing off... ;) haha

How much does one of those sensors cost, because I want one right now.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This is cool as hell. My HD 6950 get super hot. It would be awesome to see thermal imaging for my case!

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

How much does one of those sensors cost, because I want one right now.

If I recall, that model was around $2000 that they "upgraded" via the firmware by flashing the ROM from 160x120 images to 320x240

what case ?

CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO

Wonder what kicks out more heat, 7950 triple slot cooler+ 7970, or your 7950 and 480. 

I Just need to get my buddies with 2x7950s and my other friend with 290. Then I can turn the houses heat off lol

My 7950 and 480 both run about as hot under load (although my 480 is louder, but it's not as annoying sounding as my 7950's fans cranked up). Idling my 480 is hotter.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Anyone know how much it costs for a thermal image sensor?

Hmmm interesting to see the heat output differences between the GPU's and the CPU's. Also interesting to see how the heat pipes get hot and cary the heat way!

Hmmm interesting to see the heat output differences between the GPU's and the CPU's. Also interesting to see how the heat pipes get hot and cary the heat way!

Considering gpus have been pumping out more heat vs Cpus for some time due to technology and market demands, not really

Considering gpus have been pumping out more heat vs Cpus for some time due to technology and market demands, not really

Woooah, no need to be cynical.  I was just saying that **I** find it interesting.  Pretty sure I know first hand that GPU's output more heat as I'm running 2x 680 GTX's (SOC editions) in my rig.  Stress test those puppies and the room will be at 80 degrees (F) in no time.  

Also GPU's tend to be hotter because they have all of their power delivery and filtering on-board, as well as all their own memory. So imagine about the top 1/4 of your mobo condensed down onto that pcb.   All that coupled with the fact that they tend to have higher TDP's than cpu's annnd that they have less surface area to dissipate heat makes them as I said interesting things to look at, thermally at least.

Woooah, no need to be cynical. I was just saying that **I** find it interesting

Wasn't meaning to be cynical to begin with