Commodore 64 Case Mod

Lalorm

Hi all,

I'm starting a case mod of an old Commodore 64 (Bread bin style) case and I'm trying to decide on what motherboard to use with this.  I'm hoping that maybe someone here has done something similar and can offer advice on the best choice of motherboard with an APU that will work ok for basic gaming.

In terms of the case, it's small in there.  Not much in the way of heigth for a large heatsink and not much, if nothing at all in terms of airflow.  So this baby has to run cool so it isn't going to be a beast of a machine, but I would like it to be able to do some minor 3D gaming if possible.

So as I see it I need the following...

• a Mini ITX motherboard and if possible a motherboard that comes with an APU and small heatsink/fan already fitted.  I think these exist!  It has to be as low as possible to get in there under the keyboard!
  • The PSU needs to be external, so the Motherboard needs to be able to use a Laptop style PSU.
  • I'm planning to use Windows 8.1 on the system so I'd like to have a recent enough board so I know there shouldn't be any problems with the support of the OS.

I don't have much experience with these types of motherboards so I'm hoping that someone here might have suggestions on the best board to use.  Something like this is what I have in mind except I can't use this as it has an internal PSU connector...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Asrock-QC5000-ITX-WIFI-Amd-Ft3-Kabini-A4-5000-Quad-Core-Apu-Embeded-Mini-It-/311280426559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4879c25e3f

I'll be posting updates on this build on here as I start going through the build.  Also planning on modding the Commodore datasette (tape drive) into an external hard drive case with maybe a card reader and/or a USB hub.  Might be interesting.

What do people think?

Regards

Mike.

Have a solution.  Intel NUC.   :)

What about Water cooling?

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

What about Water cooling?

He said there is minimal room, he'd like have trouble bending the loops. Also, he was asking to help find a motherboard, not what cooling method to use

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

You can use a PicoPSU if you want it external with a standard motherboard.

picopsu-160-xt-acdc-components.jpg

What kind of performance are you wanting? You can run Windows on a Asus Chromebox that only costs $150, and would have everything you need where most (if not all) NUCs are barebones that also require you to purchase RAM and a SSD. The Chromeboxes use a Celeron 2955U processor so they aren't all that powerful, its plenty enough for general purpose usage, but I wouldn't want it as my main computer.

As for mITX motherboards with integrated CPUs, I would suggest the Gigabyte BayTrail ones, preferably the ones with a quad core J1900 as they are only a few dollars more than the dual core J1800s. They are passively cooled and as a reference for heat output at load my J1800 system pulls ~11W from the wall and my J1900 system pulls ~15W (has a HDD in it) which is pretty incredible for the performance. The downside is that I don't think they make one yet with a mSata slot on the board, some do have mPCIe which is physically the same connector, but SSDs will NOT work in them meaning you have another component to fit in there.

Some of the older Atom boards have built in DC-DC converters with a barrel plug in the I/O for an external power brick, most of the Atom processors prior to the Bay Trails are pretty crappy...

There is also a thin ITX standard, for when height is a concern.

ib1mn712-celeron-847-thin-mini-itx-mothe