portable headphone amps

I have been asking alot of questions about audio. but i have one more im getting sennheiser hd 985. and i was wondering what are the best portable headphone amps and what do you think of the vmoda vamp verza, creative sound blaster e, or fiio amp.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

What is your budget?

Location?

Because he had a hard drive.

budgets $100 max 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

JDS Labs CMoyBB, especially if you'd like a better bass punch (dedicated bass knob)

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

you don't need an amp for those.

i know i dont need an amp for those but as i get higher grade headphones i would like to already have an amp

i know i dont need an amp for those but as i get higher grade headphones i would like to already have an amp

"higher grade" headphones are not necessarily more needing of an amp either. The CMOY from mayflower would be really good, though.

"higher grade" headphones are not necessarily more needing of an amp either

Is argue it ain't higher grade if it needs special equipment to work properly.

Is argue it ain't higher grade if it needs special equipment to work properly.

But my audiopeel fetish for headphones that require speaker amps because "power"

"higher grade" headphones are not necessarily more needing of an amp either. 

they are not completly necessary but they make the listening experience better

they are not completly necessary but they make the listening experience better

In what way? Amplifier's name comes from amplitude, which in soundwave, the loudness of sound that we hear.

Amplifier has one job, provide current / voltage to the headphone to make it sound louder. It's not suppose to change the sound or make your experience better in anyway if you can already listen to it loud enough

In what way? Amplifier's name comes from amplitude, which in soundwave, the loudness of sound that we hear.

Amplifier has one job, provide current / voltage to the headphone to make it sound louder. It's not suppose to change the sound or make your experience better in anyway if you can already listen to it loud enough

That was actually the turning point where fact and belief intertwined. The fact that he doesn't own an amp yet (assuming that's the reason why this topic was started), but already got a firm assumption that an additional amp will definitely 'make things better', tells me that it's not so much about the fact anymore, it's about belief system. 

That's why I said earlier, 'get one then'. Because he believed it, then that amp (whatever it will be) will definitely make things better for him, regardless of any facts or measurements that say otherwise. 

This is the part where we back off slowly and say, 'your belief is your belief....'

That was actually the turning point where fact and belief intertwined. The fact that he doesn't own an amp yet (assuming that's the reason why this topic was started), but already got a firm assumption that an additional amp will definitely 'make things better', tells me that it's not so much about the fact anymore, it's about belief system. 

That's why I said earlier, 'get one then'. Because he believed it, then that amp (whatever it will be) will definitely make things better for him, regardless of any facts or measurements that say otherwise. 

This is the part where we back off slowly and say, 'your belief is your belief....'

In a month, he'll be asking us about the $10K ethernet cable for his audio transfer from NAS

In a month, he'll be asking us about the $10K ethernet cable for his audio transfer from NAS

Dunno about ethernet cables, but if it's analog audio cable, I got just the right answer: Siltech Emperor Crown. Priced as low as 45 grand/2m: http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Siltech-Emperor-Double-Crown What a deal...!!

Is it? Or is it the part where angsty maymays give me points?

Is it? Or is it the part where angsty maymays give me points?

Here's a point for you :D

so are you saying that if i bought a headphone amp for the hd 598 it will be a complete waste of money because that's what i am asking i know what they do im just not sure if i need one or not

im not stupid alright i know that is a waste of money and i am just getting into the high quality area of audio and am trying to improve my listening experience (which i am not educated on the subject at the moment ) and your being a complete jerk

you should know that you as well had to learn about all of this you were not born with this knowledge so don't be a jerk about it to someone who is trying to learn about 

so are you saying that if i bought a headphone amp for the hd 598 it will be a complete waste of money because that's what i am asking i know what they do im just not sure if i need one or not

How loud do you turn up the volume to listen comfortably with the 598?

Unless you have a pretty bad audio solution right now (eg. cheapo motherboard), you don't need an amp for HD598

How loud do you turn up the volume to listen comfortably with the 598?

i don't have the 598 yet im looking at them (thats why i was wondering if i needed an amp) and usually i don't listen to music very loud i don't like music when its blasting 

Unless you have a pretty bad audio solution right now (eg. cheapo motherboard), you don't need an amp for HD598

i have an asus rampage iv black (so definitely not a cheapo motherboard)  :P

i don't have the 598 yet im looking at them (thats why i was wondering if i needed an amp) and usually i don't listen to music very loud i don't like music when its blasting 

Good, then grab this quick

Good, then grab this quick

i don't really like the weird headband akg uses i have tried it on and its a little uncomfortable for me plus i don't think massdrop allows returns so if i found out anything else i dont like i could not send them back