Computer System Analyst

christianled59

I'm currently approaching my senior year of highschool and I'm starting to second guess my choice in career path. My original decision was to go into construction engineering. However, I am now starting to look into computer science. If I went into this field I was thinking either being a computer system analyst or software engineer. Preferably computer system analyst as it interests me the most of the other choices. Is there anyone in this community who has one of or a similar profession as one of the ones I have stated? And what should I expect from either of these professions. They both pay simularly but I have more experience under the belt with construction.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I can't tell you what an computer analyst does, but I can tell you what a software engineer does. A software engineer is often expected to make/fix/optimize the companies software, it can also be in charge of databases, often partnered with people of different fields to tell you what they want you to do (if you are working at a company that sells stuff, you may be partnered up with a person that has knowledge in finances to tell you what he wants you to do). Basically, you are the company's craftsman when it comes to computers/software.

I can't tell you what an computer analyst does, but I can tell you what a software engineer does. A software engineer is often expected to make/fix/optimize the companies software, it can also be in charge of databases, often partnered with people of different fields to tell you what they want you to do (if you are working at a company that sells stuff, you may be partnered up with a person that has knowledge in finances to tell you what he wants you to do). Basically, you are the company's craftsman when it comes to computers/software.

I know what they both do but I'm looking more for a recommendation. I.e. Stress in the work environment, availability/success rate, and if changing ideal professions right now would be a recommended course of action.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I'm currently approaching my senior year of highschool and I'm starting to second guess my choice in career path. My original decision was to go into construction engineering. However, I am now starting to look into computer science. If I went into this field I was thinking either being a computer system analyst or software engineer. Preferably computer system analyst as it interests me the most of the other choices. Is there anyone in this community who has one of or a similar profession as one of the ones I have stated? And what should I expect from either of these professions. They both pay simularly but I have more experience under the belt with construction.

Personally Im not sure about my decision to go into Computer infomation systems, Because I like to see tanagible results. Such as construction. Yeah construction is more manual labor, but If you dont mind that, Its a lot less knowledge based.

Or, you can go for the science, if that goes under, itd be easier to get into the construction then the other way around

edit: you can change all you want right now. People are sometimes a few years into college then they change

Personally Im not sure about my decision to go into Computer infomation systems, Because I like to see tanagible results. Such as construction. Yeah construction is more manual labor, but If you dont mind that, Its a lot less knowledge based.

Or, you can go for the science, if that goes under, itd be easier to get into the construction then the other way around

edit: you can change all you want right now. People are sometimes a few years into college then they change

with construction engineering, from my knowledge, is more like drafting. A lot of design and working with laborers and workplace analysts and less actual labor. But it is still less knowledge based. What do you mean when you don't see tanagible results?

with construction engineering, from my knowledge, is more like drafting. A lot of design and working with laborers and workplace analysts and less actual labor. But it is still less knowledge based. What do you mean when you don't see tanagible results?

ah. I was thinking actual labor. 

Well, for your construction example, We recently replaced our basement kitchen. and redid the bathroom. It was a lot of work, but its nice to see a physical difference. With computers, Its just files. Thats why Im trying to get more into the phyiscal side of computers.

putting together a server, or computer and making it functional is a lot more rewarding then some file I made. if that makes sense. 

ah. I was thinking actual labor.

Well, for your construction example, We recently replaced our basement kitchen. and redid the bathroom. It was a lot of work, but its nice to see a physical difference. With computers, Its just files. Thats why Im trying to get more into the phyiscal side of computers.

putting together a server, or computer and making it functional is a lot more rewarding then some file I made. if that makes sense.

Yeah, I would really enjoying building computers than working with files and the such. From what I read with computer system analyst, it's basically what I do on LTT all the time but more professional; guiding businesses to make the proper hardware decisions for what they do.

I know what they both do but I'm looking more for a recommendation. I.e. Stress in the work environment, availability/success rate, and if changing ideal professions right now would be a recommended course of action.

It can be stressful, really stressful actually. You should have great teamwork skills. As for the success rate, well I can't really tell you, since you are mostly required to get results. I can't tell if it's a good choice to change professions. I think you should do what you like (changing from construction engineering to computer science, seems a little odd to me no offense).

It can be stressful, really stressful actually. You should have great teamwork skills. As for the success rate, well I can't really tell you, since you are mostly required to get results.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?