The incredible (and hilarious) way Apple kept the Apple Watch a secret

light-brown-leather-316l-stainless-steel

How does Apple hide what they're working on? Especially their portable devices? Usually by making them look like something else entirely. The iPhone 4 was shoved into a 3GS case, the iPad Mini had its internals tested in a iPhone 4 shell. The hype that Apple builds is incredible, no doubt, and its amazing they manage to keep such a tight lid on things for as long as they do. 

The Apple watch however, is humorous. After the reveal, Apple wanted its employees to wear them in public and "show them off" in a sense, but before? Not a single uttering of what the hell they would be or look like, and BGR has reported on why that was in a rather humorous tale - disguised as a Samsung watch. 

I find it amusing. Apple disguised their device as a Samsung watch so no one would pay attention to units being out in the field. Samsung designs their phones to ape Apple so that they can get that attention. Just saying. Either a coincidence or I need to go grab my tin foil hat. 

In a broad sense, sure, we knew Apple was likely to introduce a wearable device of some sort. But key details surrounding the device’s capabilities, and even what the design looked like, remained unknown until Tim Cook officially walked up on stage and unveiled the Apple Watch for the first time.

That said, one has to wonder how Apple was successfully able to keep the Apple Watch design a secret for the entirety of the development process, an impressive feat given the insatiable appetite the tech masses have for Apple rumors and product leaks. After all, employees on the Apple Watch team had to wear the device out in public for field testing.

In an effort to maintain secrecy, engineers testing the watch outside the office even created fake casing that made the Apple device resemble a Samsung watch, one person said.

It’s sort of amusing to imagine the most talented of Apple engineers skipping around town wearing what ostensibly appeared to be clunky Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatches.

http://bgr.com/2015/03/02/apple-watch-release-hidden-secret-development/

I'm surprised no one noticed the charging cord permanently attached so they could use it throughout the day.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

10/10

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

I'm surprised no one noticed the charging cord permanently attached so they could use it throughout the day.

Do you make the same remarks about the G Watch, Moto 360 or any other smart watch that doesn't actually last the day? 

You have to admit, Apple is very good when it comes to marketing, advertising and interesting ways of doing things, like this. This was a brilliant idea to keep it a secret xD

Do you make the same remarks about the G Watch, Moto 360 or any other smart watch that doesn't actually last the day? 

Yes, which is the reason why I don't believe in Android Wear as the reason to buy one of those watches despite the better functionality.

It's only more relevant because the iWatch has an even worse battery than those.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Yes, which is the reason why I don't believe in Android Wear as the reason to buy one of those watches despite the better functionality.

It's only more relevant because the iWatch has an even worse battery than those.

Even worse? 2.5 Hours of heavy usage was the target along with 19 hours of casual use. How is that "even worse" than the 360, Gear or G Watch? Those don't need nightly recharging? 

If you're gonna blast the smart watches, do it with facts and not hyperbole. 

Even worse? 2.5 Hours of heavy usage was the target along with 19 hours of casual use. How is that "even worse" than the 360, Gear or G Watch? Those don't need nightly recharging? 

2.5 hours of heavy usage is much worse than those other watches (from what I have read/seen)

2.5 hours of heavy usage is much worse than those other watches (from what I have read/seen)

I've read that too, and the only reason I'm not throwing pitchforks at Apple (yet) is given how they underrate their battery life and give conservative figures. I'd be amazed if that policy changed with the Watch. 

We'll know soon enough, god knows no one at Apple will utter a word about anything till then. 

This is the funniest tech news for a while~~~

<Putting my conspiracy hat on> maybe Apple disguised their own smart watch as a Samsung watch because actually the Apple Watch is a Samsung-Gear-in-disguise  :D </Putting my conspiracy hat off>

the g watch r can go a day with the screen on at all times in the watch face mode however the apple watch and moto 360 can only really last the day if you put it on the mode where you flick your wrist to activate. (i forgot the names of the modes)

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

How is that "even worse" than the 360, Gear or G Watch? Those don't need nightly recharging?

People were furious at Motorola because the 360 was crap in terms of performance and battery life.

The LG G Watch R seems to have "decent" battery life compared to the Gear, the rumors about the Apple Watch and the 360. I see a lot of people reporting 2 days of use before having to recharge, and that's with the display on 100% of the time.

Personally I think anything less than a week of battery life, with the display on at all time, is terrible for a watch. Don't worry though, I won't be biased when it comes to calling smartwatches with pathetic battery life shit. I will give Apple just as much shit as I will give the other smartwatches if I see someone pretend like it's actually good.

I bet I will end up giving the Apple Watch shit a lot more often than the rest though because Apple fanboys probably won't shut the hell up about it.

Unless of course, the Apple Watch ends up being really good. Then I will be nice to it.

Everyone is going to have car batteries strapped to their backs to check the time.

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Plot twist Apple watch is actually Samsung watch rebranded..

Details separate people.

? i thought the g watch does last the day as linus said

Sorry, but the Apple watch is worst in terms of battery life compared to what is currently out there. Both the Moto 360 and LG G Watch R can last multiple days. My G Watch R can easily last 3 days without needing a charge. So I'm not sure why you are claiming they need daily charges.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

Moto 360 lasts a day, not sure about the rest

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Sorry, but the Apple watch is worst in terms of battery life compared to what is currently out there. Both the Moto 360 and LG G Watch R can last multiple days. My G Watch R can easily last 3 days without needing a charge. So I'm not sure why you are claiming they need daily charges.

How can you compare battery life on a device that isn't even available yet and has no official battery specs?

How can you compare battery life on a device that isn't even available yet and has no official battery specs?

Speculation and rhetoric > facts around these parts 

Hah, what if apple just bought tons of Gear lives and just uploaded the apple watch OS onto it? People will never tell the difference.

If thats true and apple watch battery life > / < than gear live, meaning apple watch OS more efficient / less efficient than gear live respectively.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

See above^

Speculation and rhetoric > facts around these parts 

So when you mention specs of what the target battery life is it's facts. But when I mention experience of devices that are actually out in the market it 's rhetoric and speculation. That's only because it beats out the Apple specs, right? Otherwise it would be facts? Man, you iSheep are something else...

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX