Changing from laptop to keyboard, Mechanical or not? Also is RSI an issue with it

Toxicable

Hey guys, another quick question from me:
Im buying a keyboard and I'm yet to decide if I should go mechanical or not, I've been using a laptop for the last year with very thin keys so im concerned about being use to using thin keys to much larger ones and I also tend to get sore fingers after several hours of gaming/typing so wonder if a mechanical keyboard would make it worse? Does anyone have some experience with these situations?

A mechanical keyboard could make it better since you don't have to press down all the way to trigger the key.

That's a good point, especially if im able to get one with a low actuation switch

Hey guys, another quick question from me:

Im buying a keyboard and I'm yet to decide if I should go mechanical or not, I've been using a laptop for the last year with very thin keys so im concerned about being use to using thin keys to much larger ones and I also tend to get sore fingers after several hours of gaming/typing so wonder if a mechanical keyboard would make it worse? Does anyone have some experience with these situations?

Generally mechanical keyboards do not have to be bottomed out, so you only have to lightly press the keys, this should mean less strain on your fingers and wrist

try get the lightest switch, maybe a none clicky one to avoid the extra shock

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Generally mechanical keyboards do not have to be bottomed out, so you only have to lightly press the keys, this should mean less strain on your fingers and wrist

try get the lightest switch, maybe a none clicky one to avoid the extra shock

I would think a tactile bump would actually help. Yes you'll get some feedback, but not as much as if you bottom out the key. Rsi is always going to come down to a combination of extreme overuse, and bad posture. My slouch with keyboard in my lap would be terrible if I was actually doing office workload levels. I use cherry reds, and to be honest I bottom out the keys 99% of the time. Now that the k95 comes in cherry browns I'm thinking I need a new keyboard, and my brother will probably get my k95 with half it's led's burnt out. (piss poor quality if you ask me. It's less than 9 months old.)

Disagreeing with @ShadowCaptain here but maybe something like browns or blues.

Reason being the bump will help you recognize (from tactile feedback) when you've actuated so you'll gradually stop bottoming out.

Disagreeing with @ShadowCaptain here but maybe something like browns or blues.

Reason being the bump will help you recognize (from tactile feedback) when you've actuated so you'll gradually stop bottoming out.

potentially, yes just wondering if the clicking will effect his fingers and wrist when typing compared to smoother linear switches since they could stiffer to actuate

I was thinking super light keys would mean no muscle strain in pressing them down

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

@jayctech, @ShadowCaptain In the end it's going to come down to personal preference. Wander along to a good computer store sometime, and check out their keyboards. See what switches you enjoy, If you're comfortable with it, you'll bottom out less, and you'll relax a little when using it.

SNIP

agree there, its really down to trying them etc

it might even bet more comfortable to recommend an ergonomic membrane board, its really depends whats most comfortable to use

@Toxicable generally mechanical keyboards are easier and nicer to type on than laptop keys, which generally offer bad posture and require force to bottom out

agree there, its really down to trying them etc

it might even bet more comfortable to recommend an ergonomic membrane board, its really depends whats most comfortable to use

@Toxicable generally mechanical keyboards are easier and nicer to type on than laptop keys, which generally offer bad posture and require force to bottom out

Eeewwww, he said a bad word....Can we kick him off the forum?

But seriously. If you find a keyboard your happy with, even membrane keyboards are better in general than a laptop keyboard. They don't have to take into account space considerations, so with more travel in the keycaps, they tend not to jar as much when pushed.

Eeewwww, he said a bad word....Can we kick him off the forum?

But seriously. If you find a keyboard your happy with, even membrane keyboards are better in general than a laptop keyboard. They don't have to take into account space considerations, so with more travel in the keycaps, they tend not to jar as much when pushed.

hey I nearly made it 12k posts with my blasphemous mouth :D

I can still type faster on my membrane g15 than my g710+ with browns, so I use my membrane board at work where I type more