Intel Core i7 4790k vs. AMD FX-9590

Hello everyone. I have recently built my first PC (parts listed below) and was looking for an upgrade. I am gaming and rendering videos on a Samsung 40" 4k TV, and I feel like my CPU and GPU aren't pushing it hard enough. So, I was looking on the green team (Intel) and read that the core i7 4790k is a great choice for gaming, as well as rendering videos. On the other hand, AMD's top notch CPU is the FX-9590 (unless there is a more powerful one that I don't know about). I have heard great things about this processor, like the fact that it has 8 cores and can clock up to 5.0 GHz (which is mind blowing). The only problem with the AMD is that under load, it sucks about 250 watts from the PSU. I have a Corsair 500w PSU, and I don't feel like spending the extra money on a new PSU. Either way, I have to get a new motherboard, seeing as my socket now is FM2+. What do you guys think I should do?

PC Now (parentheses are future upgrades)

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750k (Intel Core i7 4790k or AMD FX-9590)

Motherboard: MSI A88X-G45 Gaming (MSI) Z97s SLI Krait Edition or MSI 970 Gaming)

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance

GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCU II OC (EVGA GTX 970 SC or possibly two MSI GTX 960)

Cooling: Corsair H100i

Hard Drive: Hitachi 1TB

Case: NZXT S340

(SSD): Crucial 250GB

Current System: CPU: Intel i7 4790K 4.6 GHz @ 1.28 volts | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 MHz + G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1866 MHz (Total RAM: 24GB) | Cooling: Corsair H100i | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! | Storage: WD Black 1TB + Samsung 960 EVO 500GB + SanDisk 500GB SSD + WD Blue 4TB + Seagate 2TB External + Rosewill 3TB External | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Planned Upgrades: No idea

So much misappropriation of funds in your current build.

At 4k, it isn't going to matter much.  You need a stronger GPU, not CPU.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

4790k hands down, far better single core performance (great for gaming) and better rendering performance, especially when overclocked.

edit::::: Though at 4k CPU doesn't matter much, but since you're rendering videos I think it's worth it. If you're after gaming performance, and your 760 is doing okay in the games you play, a single 970/290x/980 should do fine, but if you want to play triple A titles, you'll want two of any of those.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Hello everyone. I have recently built my first PC (parts listed below) and was looking for an upgrade. I am gaming and rendering videos on a Samsung 40" 4k TV, and I feel like my CPU and GPU aren't pushing it hard enough. So, I was looking on the green team (Intel) and saw read in most places that the core i7 4790k is a great choice for gaming, as well as rendering videos. On the other hand, AMD's top notch CPU is the FX-9590. I have heard great things about this processor, like it has 8 cores and can clock up to 5.0 GHz (which is mind blowing). The only problem with the AMD is that under load, it sucks about 250 watts from the PSU. I have a Corsair 500w PSU, and I don't feel like spending the extra money on a new PSU. Either way, I have to get a new motherboard, seeing as my socket now is FM2+. What do you guys think I should do?

PC Now (parentheses are future upgrades)

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750k (Intel Core i7 4790k or AMD FX-9590)

Motherboard: MSI A88X-G45 Gaming (Depends)

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance

GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCU II OC (EVGA GTX 970 SC)

Cooling: Corsair H100i

Hard Drive: Hitachi 1TB

Case: NZXT S340

(SSD): Crucial 250GB

Go with the intel i7...just because the AMD chip can be overclocked to 5.0 GHZ  DOES NOT, I REPEAT DOES NOT make it more powerful well a little however, as a matter of fact it won't even touch the i7 when it comes to gaming and rendering, the problem lies in the IPC of the AMD chips, IPC meaning Instructions per cycle.  Essentially, what I usually say, imagine Intel as a bike with two pedals, with those two pedals, Intel can do eight cycles per second, with just those two pedals.  While AMD's bike requires eight pedals to achieve eight cycles per second.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Are you running at 4K resolution?  Or just a lower res on the larger screen?

If you're at 4K, your gaming performance is dictated entirely by GPU.  Upgrading CPU will not affect it.  Rendering times will certainly be better though.

Also do you have a 760 or 970?  You have both listed for your GPU and they're very different cards.  

If you're going to upgrade the i7 is the better choice.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Ok - thank you both very much! I have been kicking myself for the past week or two just trying to figure this out. 

Current System: CPU: Intel i7 4790K 4.6 GHz @ 1.28 volts | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 MHz + G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1866 MHz (Total RAM: 24GB) | Cooling: Corsair H100i | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! | Storage: WD Black 1TB + Samsung 960 EVO 500GB + SanDisk 500GB SSD + WD Blue 4TB + Seagate 2TB External + Rosewill 3TB External | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Are you running at 4K resolution?  Or just a lower res on the larger screen?

If you're at 4K, your gaming performance is dictated entirely by GPU.  Upgrading CPU will not affect it.  Rendering times will certainly be better though.

Also do you have a 760 or 970?  You have both listed for your GPU and they're very different cards.  

If you're going to upgrade the i7 is the better choice.

I am running at 4K. Thanks for the help!

Go with the intel i7...just because the AMD chip can be overclocked to 5.0 GHZ  DOES NOT, I REPEAT DOES NOT make it more powerful well a little however, as a matter of fact it won't even touch the i7 when it comes to gaming and rendering, the problem lies in the IPC of the AMD chips, IPC meaning Instructions per cycle.  Essentially, what I usually say, imagine Intel as a bike with two pedals, with those two pedals, Intel can do eight cycles per second, with just those two pedals.  While AMD's bike requires eight pedals to achieve eight cycles per second.

Ok...thank you. Your analogy helped me very much! ;)

4790k hands down, far better single core performance (great for gaming) and better rendering performance, especially when overclocked.

edit::::: Though at 4k CPU doesn't matter much, but since you're rendering videos I think it's worth it. If you're after gaming performance, and your 760 is doing okay in the games you play, a single 970/290x/980 should do fine, but if you want to play triple A titles, you'll want two of any of those.

Ok. I will probably be playing triple A titles, so maybe in the future I will get another GTX 970. In the meantime, I can see how it performs at 4K.

Ok. I will probably be playing triple A titles, so maybe in the future I will get another GTX 970. In the meantime, I can see how it performs at 4K.

Oh so you already have a 970? 

With 4k it really depends on the games you play. One guy could get away with an R9 280 and someone else might not want anything less than three 980's. 

The guy with the 280 might play games like Simulators, Source games, MOBA's, MMO's, Arma, etc on medium-ultra, while the guy who wants no less than three 980's plays brand new AAA titles maxed out.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Neither.

Get an i5-4690K and a GTX 980.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Oh so you already have a 970? 

With 4k it really depends on the games you play. One guy could get away with an R9 280 and someone else might not want anything less than three 980's. 

The guy with the 280 might play games like Simulators, Source games, MOBA's, MMO's, Arma, etc on medium-ultra, while the guy who wants no less than three 980's plays brand new AAA titles maxed out.

No. I have a GTX 760 right now, but I was looking to upgrade.

Neither.

Get an i5-4690K and a GTX 980.

Ok great! That's a great alternate solution!

4790K in this case, FX 8 core CPUs are great if you cant afford i7.

4790K in this case, FX 8 core CPUs are great if you cant afford i7.

Depending on the usage.

Web browsing - anyything, really.

Video editing - 1231v3/fx8150

Gaming -Any Haswell I5.

Melting with a heat gun - Everything.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

One more question - does anyone here know how the ASUS GTX 970 Strix compares to other GTX 970's? 

FINAL SOLUTION (possibly)

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k

Motherboard: MSI Z97s Sli Krait Edition

GPU: ASUS GTX 970 Strix

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 120GB

One more question - does anyone here know how the ASUS GTX 970 Strix compares to other GTX 970's? 

FINAL SOLUTION (possibly)

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k

Motherboard: MSI Z97s Sli Krait Edition

GPU: ASUS GTX 970 Strix

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 120GB

Excellent build.  Only two things I would change are GPU and SSD.

Go with the EVGA SSC 970 instead of the Asus.  Also, SSD, you don't need to buy such an expensive 120GB model.  Buy one from Crucial, Sandisk, etc.. not Kingston.  The Samsung is way overpriced, and when it comes to day to day performance, you won't notice the difference between SSDs.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Excellent build.  Only two things I would change are GPU and SSD.

Go with the EVGA SSC 970 instead of the Asus.  Also, SSD, you don't need to buy such an expensive 120GB model.  Buy one from Crucial, Sandisk, etc.. not Kingston.  The Samsung is way overpriced, and when it comes to day to day performance, you won't notice the difference between SSDs.

Ok. Thanks very much. What is a major difference between the ASUS and the EVGA?

Ok. Thanks very much. What is a major difference between the ASUS and the EVGA?

EVGA has much, much better customer support.  The performance between the two will be next to identical.

EVGA has much, much better customer support.  The performance between the two will be next to identical.

Ok sweet!!!! Thanks for all of your help!!! It might be a few months before I get all of the parts, but when I do, I will let you know how it is. Thanks again!

Ok sweet!!!! Thanks for all of your help!!! It might be a few months before I get all of the parts, but when I do, I will let you know how it is. Thanks again!

Happy to help.  Its always a good idea to do research and be aware of what is available, but in this industry, stuff moves so fast.  In a few months, the landscape might have changed.  A new Intel processor might be available, and new AMD GPUs that are much better than the competition.

I can +1 that EVGA support. Had to RMA my 780 and had no issues. They gave me the RMA number. I shipped it. They sent me one back right away. My only downtime was waiting for shipping. I will never buy a non-evga card. (Unless this DirectX 12 rumor is true about being able to use NVIDIA and AMD cards together)

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

I can +1 that EVGA support. Had to RMA my 780 and had no issues. They gave me the RMA number. I shipped it. They sent me one back right away. My only downtime was waiting for shipping. I will never buy a non-evga card. (Unless this DirectX 12 rumor is true about being able to use NVIDIA and AMD cards together)

Awesome! Glad to hear that their customer support is stellar! One more question (sorry I have so many questions) - is the 4790k worth the extra money for gaming? I know that the i7 is better for video editing, but I'm only going to be doing light stuff on Camtasia and Movie Maker. 

Awesome! Glad to hear that their customer support is stellar! One more question (sorry I have so many questions) - is the 4790k worth the extra money for gaming? I know that the i7 is better for video editing, but I'm only going to be doing light stuff on Camtasia and Movie Maker. 

If you are really serious about editing, and want to reduce render times, then yea, the i7 is worth it.  If its just a side project, which is what it sounds like, it is not.  For gaming, the vast majority of games will perform the same with an i5 as an i7 when at the same speed.  If you have spare money, and there isn't something else in your build that needs funding, then go for the i7.  But if you're on a budget, the i5 will perform just as well.