Is this Cpu upgrade worth doing?

So my local Micro Center has the Intel Core i5 3570K brand new in box for $169.99.

Is it worth going from a FX 8350 to a 3570K?

I can pick up the 3570K + Motherboard for about $250.

Of course before picking those parts I would sell of my current Cpu + Motherboard and I would most likely pay $50 - $60 out of pocket.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

IN this case i would say go haswell or go home. I wouldnt, personally upgrade to something that is already out of date. Dont get me wrong its a good processor and a good platform its jsut when i  upgrade I dont like, nor think its a good idea, to be already behind.

eh, a locked haswell chip + a board would be around $250 as well, so not a good deal imo

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Its old. But way... WAY better for gaming.

I would also check to find a cheaper motherboard so you dont have to pay as much.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

I'd go for a i5 4690K if possible. (Its about $50 or so more at micro center most of the time)

You don't have to go for the i5 4690K, but it would be a good choice.

Going from the FX 8350 to a i5 3570K would be a fairly good upgrade, I'd say you should go for it, the i5 will destroy the fx in any single threaded task.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

eh, a locked haswell chip + a board would be around $250 as well, so not a good deal imo

Its old. But way... WAY better for gaming.

I would also check to find a cheaper motherboard so you dont have to pay as much.

I'd go for a i5 4690K if possible. (Its about $50 or so more at micro center most of the time)

You don't have to go for the i5 4690K, but it would be a good choice.

Going from the FX 8350 to a i5 3570K would be a fairly good upgrade, I'd say you should go for it, the i5 will destroy the fx in any single threaded task.

I was thinking the 3570K would be better for gaming than what I have now.

I read all around LTT how the FX is horrible for gaming and I thought maybe a upgrade to a 3570K would be better.

Plus it wont cost me much to upgrade anyway. We are talking $50 - $60 out of pocket.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

I read all around LTT how the FX is horrible for gaming and I thought maybe a upgrade to a 3570K would be better.

It would definitely be better, it's just silly when a haswell i5 is only $10 more ;)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

It would definitely be better, it's just silly when a haswell i5 is only $10 more ;)

I don't want a locked i5

How high do you plan to OC? If you don't plan to go SLI/Crossfire so don't need a very high end motherboard, I'd suggest going for Haswell. Even if you just get a locked one like a 4590 or 4690, it'll be as fast as the 3570K at around 4GHz.

And with the HD 7950 I'm not sure if it'll be a $250 upgrade... like I'd recommend Intel Ivy/Haswell over FX for a new build every day of the week, but if you already have an FX-8350 and it's paired with an HD 7950, the upgrade to a 3570K might not be big enough to justify investing in both a new CPU and motherboard. This is generally why I suggest people go with i3 to begin with, since then if you want an i5 you don't need the new board on top of the CPU.

It's an upgrade... in some games more than others. But don't expect double framerates, especially just with an HD 7950. Depends on what games you play and how much the performance difference is worth to you.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Yea, the 3570k is WAY better than an FX8, and that price isn't too steep.  The Devil's Canyon i5 isn't that much above an i5-3570k in terms of IPC.  With a decent overclock, it matches the performance of more modern i5s, and it will still last you a long time.

I would go for it, provided you can get a decent return on your FX8 + mobo.  Or, pay ~$50 more, and you can get an i5-4690k + Z97 motherboard for around $300.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

How high do you plan to OC? If you don't plan to go SLI/Crossfire so don't need a very high end motherboard, I'd suggest going for Haswell. Even if you just get a locked one like a 4590 or 4690, it'll be as fast as the 3570K at around 4GHz.

And with the HD 7950 I'm not sure if it'll be a $250 upgrade... like I'd recommend Intel Ivy/Haswell over FX for a new build every day of the week, but if you already have an FX-8350 and it's paired with an HD 7950, the upgrade to a 3570K would not be big enough to justify investing in both a new CPU and motherboard. This is generally why I suggest people go with i3 to begin with, since then if you want an i5 you don't need the new board on top of the CPU.

It's an upgrade... in some games more than others. But don't expect double framerates, especially just with an HD 7950.

Well I would OC as high as the cpu would allow. Around 4.5Ghz if possible and also I do plan to Crossfire with the 2 x R9 290X gpu's.

I sold the 7950 so as of now I'm shopping for a pair of R9 290X gpu's.

Yea, the 3570k is WAY better than an FX8, and that price isn't too steep.  The Devil's Canyon i5 isn't that much above an i5-3570k in terms of IPC.  With a decent overclock, it matches the performance of more modern i5s, and it will still last you a long time.

I would go for it, provided you can get a decent return on your FX8 + mobo.  Or, pay ~$50 more, and you can get an i5-4690k + Z97 motherboard for around $300.

I always read what you say about the FX and that's made me want to upgrade.

The i5 4690K is $199.99 at Micro Center but I would like to save some money and put that money into buying new Gpu's.

I just want to make sure its 100% worth upgrading to the 3570K.

The i5 4690K is $199.99 at Micro Center but I would like to save some money and put that money into buying new Gpu's.

Absolutely it is worth it.  But, if you're buying an older gen i5, maybe look into Used.  I don't feel like a new, yet older gen i5 should be only $50 less than a brand new one, once you factor in motherboard.  Its worth it, absolutely, but I think you can bargain hunt for a better deal, and you shouldn't be afraid of used parts.  It is absolutely a good deal, and a good upgrade, but I think you can find a better price if you're willing to buy used.  Either that, or pay the extra for a Devil's Canyon i5 + Z97 mobo that is SLI capable.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Perhaps get a 4690K, Z97 and 2x 290s rather than 290Xs? The gap between 290 and 290X is so tiny. Then again I suppose the gap between 3570K and 4690K isn't that big, I just don't like the idea of buying a last gen platform.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I just upgraded my Steam box to an i5 4690k from an FX 8320 not because I was unhappy with it for gaming, but because there are no good AM3+ mATX mobos for it. I would not have done for a 3570k though.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Absolutely it is worth it.  But, if you're buying an older gen i5, maybe look into Used.  I don't feel like a new, yet older gen i5 should be only $50 less than a brand new one, once you factor in motherboard.  Its worth it, absolutely, but I think you can bargain hunt for a better deal, and you shouldn't be afraid of used parts.  It is absolutely a good deal, and a good upgrade, but I think you can find a better price if you're willing to buy used.  Either that, or pay the extra for a Devil's Canyon i5 + Z97 mobo that is SLI capable.

Used wont be an issue. If it saves more money the better!

Perhaps get a 4690K, Z97 and 2x 290s rather than 290Xs? The gap between 290 and 290X is so tiny. Then again I suppose the gap between 3570K and 4690K isn't that big, I just don't like the idea of buying a last gen platform.

I understand! I don't mind if its last gen but as long as its better than the 8350 for gaming I'm happy.

The R9 290 would work as well.

I just upgraded my Steam box to an i5 4690k from an FX 8320 not because I was unhappy with it for gaming, but because there are no good AM3+ mATX mobos for it. I would not have done for a 3570k though.

I'm not sure what the performance difference is between the 3570k and the 4690k but It can't be that much different.

So my local Micro Center has the Intel Core i5 3570K brand new in box for $169.99.

Is it worth going from a FX 8350 to a 3570K?

I can pick up the 3570K + Motherboard for about $250.

Of course before picking those parts I would sell of my current Cpu + Motherboard and I would most likely pay $50 - $60 out of pocket.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

no, thats a side grade. they are pretty much the same in gaming. you can go ahead but you're going to be dissapointed when the fps is the exact same

also you will see almost no improvement because you're gpu bound,the 8350 can handle all that the 7950 can give it,i ran 2x 280x's on mine.

if it was a 3770k  that'd be worth it

****edit****

dude if you live near a micro center i would sell your cpu and motherboard and buy a 4790k they have sales for them at $250 sometimes,get a z97 and you'd be all gooood

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

Plus it wont cost me much to upgrade anyway. We are talking $50 - $60 out of pocket.

It's a small upgrade for the most part, but that's not a bad price to pay either.

is the motherboard you're planning on getting with it good for overclocking and has all the features you may want? (SLI for example.)  Then why not.  

To get an idea in performance difference:

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

no, thats a side grade. they are pretty much the same in gaming. you can go ahead but you're going to be dissapointed when the fps is the exact same

also you will see almost no improvement because you're gpu bound,the 8350 can handle all that the 7950 can give it,i ran 2x 280x's on mine.

if it was a 3770k  that'd be worth it

****edit****

dude if you live near a micro center i would sell your cpu and motherboard and buy a 4790k they have sales for them at $250 sometimes,get a z97 and you'd be all gooood

I have a Micro Center about 15min away.

If you read my past posts I would like to save money in order to get better gpu's.

That's why I asked about the 3570k

I don't have the 7950 anymore.

I have a Micro Center about 15min away.

If you read my past posts I would like to save money in order to get better gpu's.

That's why I asked about the 3570k

I don't have the 7950 anymore.

cool. if you watch the video posted above your comment you'll see the 3570k is about 10% better in some games and about 10% worse than the 8350 in other games.

by all means go for it if you want

clock for clock it will beat it so if you like extreme overclocking then it'd be worth it

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

cool. if you watch the video posted above your comment you'll see the 3570k is about 10% better in some games and about 10% worse than the 8350 in other games.

by all means go for it if you want

clock for clock it will beat it so if you like extreme overclocking then it'd be worth it

I planned to overclock it to 4.5Ghz if its possible.

I might look for a used 3770k or even a 3930k but the 3570k is on top of my list as of now.

You fools using that video.  Its a 660Ti.  For a mid-range GPU, the bottleneck won't be evident.  Also, the games tested are not very CPU dependent.  Try playing games that actually tax the CPU, and results will vary.  Those games that are somewhat dependent on stronger cores show how much superior an i5 is.  Not to mention, minimum FPS is not as good as it will be on Intel.  It is not side grade.  An i5-3570k is a vastly superior processor to an FX8.  Heck, go back another generation to an i5-2500k and its still a lot more powerful than an FX8.