HTC One M8s with slower CPU to replace the One (M8) soon

gsmarena_001.jpg

My news train doesn't make stops for anything (except washroom breaks, can't be living too dangerously) but while I was scouring the inter webs I came across this little tidbit. 

HTC is going to stop selling the One M8 in some areas and replace it with the M8s which carries a 615 64-bit processor in place of the original Snapdragon 801. This seems...bizarre to me. Investing additional R/D into a middle tier device instead of just slashing the price of your old one? 

Apple usually sets bad precedents, but their new policy of selling the last generation phone for less (and sometimes with fixed storage/colour options) doesn't seem like a bad way to go. Burn through any excess inventory and offer last years flagship with the same specs for less, for those who just don't need a 1000 dollar phone each year. 

But, c'est la vie. Here it is. 

The HTC One M8s has in fact been leaked and rumored for a while as the One (M8i), but it looks like HTC decided to go with the letter "s" and not "i" after all.

This information comes from HTC's Benelux arm in Europe, so it's all rather official. At least in those three markets (Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg) the smartphone maker will choose to replace the One (M8) with this M8s. The situation might be repeated in other places too, however.

HTC Benelux director Mark Moons said the SoC change was needed in order for the company to continue selling the One (M8)'s hardware. He also stressed that the Snapdragon 615 is a newer part, and it's 64-bit.

For now the exact timeline of the swap is unknown, but we do know that the One M8s will be about €250 cheaper than the new One M9. Since the latter is going to be offered for €749 in the EU, this means the One M8s will sell for €499.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m8s_with_slower_cpu_to_replace_the_one_m8_soon-news-11398.php

I though that's called the M8i in the old rumors.... when did it change its name?

its probably because the m9 is such a small improvement over the m8 that they need a way to push sales. I have a m8 and dont see any real reason to go with the m9 other than the better camera.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I bet it's so that they can upgrade the software to whatever the m9 has. I guess it's easier to just tell people to use a different chip than spend time developing two software packages?

I have no idea

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Retards, how could they sell it for 499 euros when the more powerful m8 is 449...

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Not sure where you're getting that 449 number, @kuzimins. The unlocked M8 is still 749 here, or at least it was the last time I checked (about a month ago).

It's 449 in a large shop in Latvia. 1a.lv, if you want to check. I didn't know it was that expensive in Belgium :o

latvia =/= world

Usually prices in Europe are +- the same, and we are talking about € so Europe it is.

latvia =/= world

Not sure where you're getting that 449 number, @kuzimins. The unlocked M8 is still 749 here, or at least it was the last time I checked (about a month ago).

It's 437 on Amazon.de so I have no idea how it could cost 749

A bit of searching puts it in the 519-599 pricerange in stores here now, so the price is dropping rapidly indeed. Now I feel bad for having paid 799 for mine less than half a year ago. At this rate it'll be worth 50 EUR by Christmas.

• 2 months later...

you silly people. HTC will just drag the One M8, kicking and screaming out the back and put it down like a dog. Then the europoors will buy the M8s or whatever and be happy. 

Without even knowing the difference becasue they are nearly all the same anyway. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Cause they stopped producing the M8s when the M9 came out?

"Rawr XD"

So I have an M8 and I have insurance on it where if it gets damaged or whatever it gets replaced. Does that mean they they could give me a lesser phone now? I'd be pretty pissed. Part of the reason I like this phone is BECAUSE it's pretty powerful...

(Well... and the micro SD card slot and the speakers too)

Super strange.  Also, thank you based news god.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

But does it include a camera fix? That sh*t is just aweful

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

I just came here to see the resurrection of a 2 month old tgread. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Not just processor but battery and camera as well. No more UltraPixel, for the better. Pricing became more detailed as well.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/htc-one-m8s-news/

The appearance, display, and build are all nearly identical, but HTC has made some big changes under the hood. Gone is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801, replaced with a 64-bit Snapdragon 615 processor. The battery has been boosted up to 2,840mAh – identical to the M9 – and the 4-megapixel “Ultrapixel” camera from the M8 has been replaced with a standard 13-megapixel shooter. The second lens remains intact. 

The biggest difference in the new model is the price. The M8S will sell for £380 (roughly $563) in the U.K., while the original M8 sold for around £530. That said, the original One M8 can be bought for less than the M8S.

The HTC One M8S will be available in silver, gold, and gunmetal grey, and so far, the phone has only been announced in Europe, with no word of a release in the United States.

"Rawr XD"

Its already here in the UK. I work for The Carphone Warehouse and the other day we got some new stock in and the M8s happened to be in the stock pile. Its a Octa core chip so while it is "slower" clock for clock in the long run its faster as it has more cores.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Its already here in the UK. I work for The Carphone Warehouse and the other day we got some new stock in and the M8s happened to be in the stock pile. Its a Octa core chip so while it is "slower" clock for clock in the long run its faster as it has more cores.

Not really. Android will stay mostly single-threaded for everyday use for a LONG time. Octa-core is unnecessary for most people on desktop PCs, never mind smartphones, which is why Intel takes the crown over AMD for gaming. On Android this applies to an even large extent. The only apps currently well known for being able to take advantage of 8 cores on Android outside of benchmarks, are Asphalt 8, Modern Combat 5, the Riptide GP series, and GTA San Andreas. 

For the time that people will keep the M8/M8s, the 810 is a much better performer with it's 4 stronger cores. The Snapdragon 615 in the M8s is not optimized for performance but rather efficiency, so you'll get better battery life and less heat output with the 615.

"Rawr XD"

lol htc, its like they're desperate but lazy at the same time