Breaking: House Judiciary Committee Tells FCC It's Going To Block Net Neutrality Rules

courtroom_corr.jpg

Oh boy, just when you think sanity might prevail in the US political system, one side stands up in the name of asshattery to remind us why every piece of political news should come with a bag of popcorn or two.

The House Judiciary Committee seems to be engaging in typical fear mongering tactics to pain the FCCs recent moves in the worst possible light, even going so far as to ignoring some service providers who have stated they are OKAY with the NN rules the FCC passed.

Come on. When you have ISPs saying "so what, we'll adapt" and "it won't be a detriment to us", you can't possibly expect that your fear mongering will hold water, will you?  

letter from the House Judiciary Committee Members (pdf) to FCC boss Tom Wheeler complains that the FCC is pursuing the "most oppressive and backward regulatory option possible," which is odd since a growing list of companies that actually sell broadband -- like CablevisionFrontierSprint and Sonic -- all say the rules won't impact their businesses in the slightest, since most of the heavier utility-components of Title II won't be applied. So why is the House Judiciary Committee fighting the rules? Because they're just super worried about the health of the Internet:

"We will not stand by idly as the White House, using the FCC, attempts to advance rules that imperil the future of the Internet. We plan to support and urge our colleagues to pass a Congressional Review Act resolution disapproving the “Open Internet” rules. Not only will such a resolution nullify the ‘Open Internet’ rules, the resolution will prevent the FCC from relying on Title II for any future net neutrality rules unless Congress explicitly instructs the FCC to take such action."

Of course any measure that makes its way to the President's desk will be vetoed -- and a Congressional Review Action still requires a presidential signature or enough votes to override a veto, both of which are extremely unlikely. The only real way to overturn the agency's new laws is either via lawsuit (which the FCC has gone to great length to avoid losing this time after the courts repeatedly told them they needed to classify ISPs as common carriers to be on solid footing) or through a party change (and therefore an FCC leadership shift) in 2016.

https://www.techdirt.com/blog/netneutrality/articles/20150302/08162630183/hysterical-facts-optional-assault-fccs-new-neutrality-rules-has-commenced.shtml

"Oh boy, just when you think sanity might prevail in the US political system, "

Hhahahahaha sanity and US political system are not to be used in the same sentence.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

I feel like they're only doing this because of how many people are buying the "Net Neutrality is not your friend" narrative that's been going around on right-wing news outlets.

people are freaking idiots. Especially these near retarded us politicians

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

WHAT?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I feel like they're only doing this because of how many people are buying the "Net Neutrality is not your friend" narrative that's been going around on right-wing news outlets.

I don't strongly agree or disagree with the left or the right. I think that Title II reclassification could work, but it is something that also poses the potential to be manipulated.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Jesus can they just fucking piss off already ? WE WANTED THIS, SO GODDAMN ISP'S DON'T CONSTANTLY FUCK US OVER, FOR EXPENSIVE ASS INTERNET. AND SPEEDS

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I don't strongly agree or disagree with the left or the right. I think that Title II reclassification could work, but it is something that also poses the potential to be manipulated.

What I don't understand is what could be manipulated. It's not like the FCC themselves are going to be sitting in the ISP's data centers and will shut off your connection if you don't politically agree with them.

What I don't understand is what could be manipulated. It's not like the FCC themselves are going to be sitting in the ISP's data centers and will shut off your connection if you don't politically agree with them.

I'm imagining Wheeler sitting in a data centre, shutting off the internet for whoever is a Seahawks fan... 

This isn't about policy, this is all about money. This is what happens when a democracy is turned into an auction for votes.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I'm not so sure.

There were two dissenting individuals, unsurpisingly both Republicans (Michael O'Rielly and Ajut Pai, though I'm not really debating them). They argue that the measures fix a problem not present (completely untrue) and that the measure's 300+ pages weren't openly available for the public. That's the part I think about. What in there has the potential to be manipulated, and what will be? The government now has the control from what I understand as opposed to the telcoms and ISPs.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

old people are scared of everything, and they constantly think that wolves are after them. who better to put into power, and then scare the #@#$ out and bribe to get your way?

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I'm not so sure.

There were two dissenting individuals, unsurpisingly both Republicans (Michael O'Rielly and Ajut Pai, though I'm not really debating them). They argue that the measures fix a problem not present (completely untrue) and that the measure's 300+ pages weren't openly available for the public. That's the part I think about. What in there has the potential to be manipulated, and what will be? The government now has the control from what I understand as opposed to the telcoms and ISPs.

Well from my understanding, the FCC was formed to keep things like Comcast/TWC mergers, data speed fixing and other stuff from happening; except the internet was never classified to be under their jurisdiction in such a way for them to prevent such things.

I'd rather take my chances with the FCC than have to pay a premium for an internet fast lane in the future, personally.

First, net neutrality passes, then a freaking committee decides to come along and block those rules? What the fuck? I've totally lost all faith in my country. Things are really getting out of hand.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wait. Given that the FCC is an independent government agency, and the FCC is meant to regulate wire and radio communications. Wouldn't it be outside the bounds of the house judiciary committee to even repeal the FCC's rulings.

The only way to enforce what the House wants is by nullifying the FCC's powers via a congressional act and in turn Congress would then be responsible for what the FCC is supposed to be doing anyway. 

If I understand this correctly, it most likely won't stand up in court as the FCC has enumerated powers written in legislature already. Congress would have to modify or nullify those enumerated powers. 

Thoughts?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

The simple reason is that Obama is for it. The best way for him to govern is to pretend he's against issues that he actually is for.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Sounds bad, but barely a problem. As long as Obama doesn't sign it (spoiler: he won't), congress can't do anything. So, yeah. Divided government.

Wait. Given that the FCC is an independent government agency, and the FCC is meant to regulate wire and radio communications. Wouldn't it be outside the bounds of the house judiciary committee to even repeal the FCC's rulings.

The only way to enforce what the House wants is by nullifying the FCC's powers via a congressional act and in turn Congress would then be responsible for what the FCC is supposed to be doing anyway. 

If I understand this correctly, it most likely won't stand up in court as the FCC has enumerated powers written in legislature already. Congress would have to modify or nullify those enumerated powers. 

Thoughts?

Agreed. They're basically wanting to deny the FCC the rights to do their job.

my head hurts, why can't they accept change 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'm not so sure.

the bill itself is 8 pages, with 300+ being comments from the voting public. see the attached reddit post's links http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/2xh4a8/fcc_net_neutrality_plan_is_8_pages_not_300_and/

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Uhoh, is shit hitting the fan as they say?

Yes. 

And that can of worms opened too. It's a big can.  :P

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.