Headphone Suggestion

MitchellPerez

Good evening all, 

I wondering if anyone could recommend a pair of headphones to go along with my recent purchase of the Asus Xonar Essence STX. The sound card sounds great but I know for a fact my current headsets can't drive it (Beats Solo HD - My aunt gave it as a Christmas present and it's the only "high-end" headsets I have at the moment) So anyway, can anyone suggest a pair? No price limit, just strictly what is good and why is it good. I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD 650 but didn't want to checkout until I got some feedback, any help is appreciated. 

Cheers! 

Good evening all, 

I wondering if anyone could recommend a pair of headphones to go along with my recent purchase of the Asus Xonar Essence STX. The sound card sounds great but I know for a fact my current headsets can't drive it (Beats Solo HD - My aunt gave it as a Christmas present and it's the only "high-end" headsets I have at the moment) So anyway, can anyone suggest a pair? No price limit, just strictly what is good and why is it good. I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD 650 but didn't want to checkout until I got some feedback, any help is appreciated. 

Cheers! 

What's really recommended is for you to find an audio shop around you. Seeing and testing the headphones at first hand is really going to give you options. Words are only going to tell so much. Is there a particular type of music you listen to? closed or open?

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Good evening all, 

Cheers! 

In the words of our wise sage @h264 - HD 600 and 650 are the only headphones with a high enough impedance to allow you to ignore the STX's high output impedance and noise floor, while also being sensitive enough to be driven well by the low powered soundcard.

Or something like that.

I'd return the soundcard. Maybe get an amp/DAC unit in the $65-75 range, if you find that one is needed. Leaves more budget for the headphones, which are what matter.

If you can return the sound card, I would get something from Schiit, or something of the like, which might be a good option. Then you are pretty well spoiled for choice in the headphone department. The STX does truly have a pretty atrocious sound floor though. I own one, and I can hear it with my IEMs (not really a good example, but still) so I use an external amp to clean up the sound floor a bit. Plus, the company I got the card from will let me return it, and they will give me full price paid towards an upgrade. As far as headphones, a Custom IEM wouldn't be a bad choice, as they sound awesome! Also, anything from Audeze (like their brand new EL series) will be awesome, and it would be good to support them, as they just got robbedaf a quarter of a million dollars worth of gear. Otherwise, hifiman makes some good planar magnetics. If you truly have an unlimited budget for headphones, then I would say Stax Sr008, with a dedicated elecrostatic amp, or some noble audio K10s.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Their products have damaged headphones in the past.  I would not recommend them.

That's why they added a relay mute to all of their amps. Schiit's founder actually tells the story of the discovery and resolution of the problem here on head-fi.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

Their products have damaged headphones in the past. I would not recommend them.

And several cars had been recalled previously and the problem has been fixed. Hence, I should not buy them because there's nothing wrong with them right now.

I feel like this sub- forum becomes a fiio / O2 amp fanboy

What evidence do you have? The products with the highest value from the companies with the lowest in-bed-with-head-fi factor get recommended. On top of that, the O2 is rarely recommended because it's usually overkill.

Seriously, to have an argument you involve facts or logic. This is different than petulant whining over bad things someone said about a company whose products you think look cool.

Linking to the toxicity of head-fi should be against the CoC.

What would be the point of that?

And several cars had been recalled previously and the problem has been fixed. Hence, I should not buy them because there's nothing wrong with them right now.

You have an O2 so your complaint is odd.  Is it not sufficient for you?  Fiio has not had a history of releasing faulty products which damage headphones.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

But none of those recalls were attempted to be covered up. Except for that stupid time GM did it which is why I wouldn't buy a GM car either. Schiit should just go out of business.

Schiit should just go out of business.

@SSL this.

I'm basically saying dont look something based on their merit from headfi etc. If a product is good, it's good. Doesnt matter if it's from schiit or fiio or whoever else

@SSL this.

I'm basically saying dont look something based on their merit from headfi etc. If a product is good, it's good. Doesnt matter if it's from schiit or fiio or whoever else

Why? I care about who gets my money. I'm not buying from a company who markets a product line that is mostly snake oil.

Why? I care about who gets my money. I'm not buying from a company who markets a product line that is mostly snake oil.

Then i suppose it's a difference of perspective on how we buy goods, which I dont want to fuss about simple because it's personal

Then i suppose it's a difference of perspective on how we buy goods, which I dont want to fuss about simple because it's personal

Lmao then that's like saying blood diamonds are OK. There's a reason they're banned.

Personal beliefs can still be wrong.

If the owner of an audio company won't admit wrongdoing until an electrical engineer on the Internet has to explain why, that should send up flags for you.

Personal beliefs can still be wrong.

Yes, but it's bothersome for me to care about simply because someone can say "It's the way i want it to be and it's my money" in which unless the person has a close relation to me, i wouldn't object anymore

If the owner of an audio company won't admit wrongdoing until an electrical engineer on the Internet has to explain why, that should send up flags for you.

Oh, that? Yeah schiit did a test on their own, found that NWAvguy is right and told people who bought schiit asgard in headfi to email the company to get shipment labels

Yes, but it's bothersome for me to care about simply because someone can say "It's the way i want it to be and it's my money" in which unless the person has a close relation to me, i wouldn't object anymore

But you WERE caring by saying "I feel like this sub- forum becomes a fiio / O2 amp fanboy". There's implicit judgement in those words.

It's interesting you make a statement like that, but when challenged it's all "I dont want to fuss about simple because it's personal".

Which is it?

Oh, that? Yeah schiit did a test on their own, found that NWAvguy is right and told people who bought schiit asgard in headfi to email the company to get shipment labels

They initially denied the flaw, quoting incorrect numbers. It took another forum member to actually test the amp before they even acknowledged the possibility.

Did Jason offer to replace those AKGs or any others that became malformed due to the Asgard?