HTC One M9 and the Samsung Galaxy S6

Do you guys think that the HTC One M9 is worth an upgrade? Do you think that Samsung's new TouchWiz with Lollipop is enough to bring new users. Could it scare loyalists away?

worth an upgrade from what?

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

i prefer to stay away from Samsung phones because of touchwiz. the htc one m9, however does look appealing 

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Do you guys think that the HTC One M9 is worth an upgrade? Do you think that Samsung's new TouchWiz with Lollipop is enough to bring new users. Could it scare loyalists away?

Been quite a fan of HTC Sense UI, pretty basic GUI but not all to bad & complicated to use properly. TouchWiz in it's most updated iteration doesn't seem as buggy & cluttered as before. I have a HTC One X so I'll be grabbing a new device soon so it'll be a big leap for me for either smartphone in favour of me :)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

The S6 looks like a worthy contender from samsung (for once). The build quality is really nice and touchwiz doesn't look as bad. My ideal phone would be a sony z3 with the features of touchwiz and the ui of stock android.

i prefer to stay away from Samsung phones because of touchwiz. the htc one m9, however does look appealing 

I hate touch wiz (opinion)

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

i'll go with the ht. m9 now i'm using M8 its very solid device

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

The samsung galaxy s6 looks like the iPhone 6 so they really didn't come up with anything they just took an iPhone and an xperia z2 and made a baby.

The Galaxy S6 looks like an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 6 had a kid that speaks Android. Not that thats a bad thing, but its rather un-original.

Looking forward to this phone nonetheless. Should be a nice upgrade from my Galaxy S4.

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation

If you dont mind losing sd card and removable battery support, go wjth the s6(mind you you may lose some app support since its a exynos processor being used). The m9 i would hold out on until the issues with the Snapdragon 810 are addressed

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

No, the m9 is not worth the update and nor the s6 is. Only reason i would upgrade from the m8 would be for the better camera, they should've done that last year.

As far as the s6 i think samsung just copied the iphone 6 and i say that as an android fanboy, a lot of people bought the iphone 6 & the 6 plus so much that in the last quarter apple sold more phones than samsung did so what do they respond with? By copying their phone! Well i really don't like samsung smartphones so i will tell people not to buy the s6

The S-line up from samsung is quite mediocre now, either wait for Note 5 or jump in to the M9 right away but that's just me

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

If you have an S5/M8/Note 4/iPhone 6, the answer is definitely no.

for S4/M7/Note 3/5s, the answer is maybe.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I have the HTC One M7, was hoping for more innovation with the M9 design and maybe a slightly bigger screen (HTC One M9 Plus?)

Having 1GB more ram and a better camera/processor makes upgrading from the M7 a tough sell as my phone still works perfectly fine.

Not sure I'd jump ship to Samsung though as I like Sense UI much more that Touchwiz. Also don't want to give up the front facing speakers (not huge deal, but they sound much better than the little slots on back or bottom of most phones).

I'm waiting to see what LG annouces about the G4 in April. Also curious what Sony puts out in the form of the Xperia Z4 (rumored 4GB ram, 5.2in IPS screen, 20MP camera)

Lots of choices..... :unsure:

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Samsung wrecked the battery life on the Galaxy S6. More power-hungry screen, smaller battery (which also can't be replaced or upgraded).

Samsung wrecked the battery life on the Galaxy S6. More power-hungry screen, smaller battery (which also can't be replaced or upgraded).

I was initially thinking this too (only 2600mah!?!?), but the efficiency improvements of moving to a 14nm process could offset this quite a lot. At least that's what I hope from this.

hai

I mean the s6 isn't really that bad besides the copying of the iPhone.

I've been a Samsung-ite since the S4 and I must say I am very disappointed by one key feature they have removed:

A removable back!

Sure the phone feels/looks more premium and iPhonian (totally made up that word but roll with it), but you lose the advantages of carrying around a spare battery and popping in up to an extra 128 GB of storage.

Sticking with my Note until the next refresh of that line is announced and released.

-----------

The HTC M9... Honestly I haven't looked into it that much. But I've loved their design philosophy with this one (no removable back though *cringes*). I was honestly hoping that this would be the phone that made Android look like more of a premium platform than Samsung makes it out to be. Samsung makes some beastly phones, but they don't look all that great.

Any mistakes in information are completely because I didn't research any of this and I encourage corrections!

// Don't forget to enter a concise, possibly witty statement about yourself

I was initially thinking this too (only 2600mah!?!?), but the efficiency improvements of moving to a 14nm process could offset this quite a lot. At least that's what I hope from this.

It'll soften the blow at least. But I still think we'll see a significant drop in battery life. The screen accounts for a big chunk of the power consumption, and the higher res also means more work for the GPU.

I dunno, I guess I'm just frustrated that phone makers in general seem so oblivious of battery life.

It'll soften the blow at least. But I still think we'll see a significant drop in battery life. The screen accounts for a big chunk of the power consumption, and the higher res also means more work for the GPU.

I dunno, I guess I'm just frustrated that phone makers in general seem so oblivious of battery life.

And the ones that aren't oblivious of battery life aren't available in my region. One Plus requires a shipping forwarder and the Motorola Turbo (international Droid Turbo) is not easily acquirable. All I want is to be able to buy off a retailer that isn't from Sketch-city.

hai