Computer suddenly shuts off (mostly) then won't POST upon restart attempt (until you wait >3h)

SnarlyCharly

My computer has suddenly starting doing this horrible thing where it will randomly crash, but this is a weird crash. The power to my keyboard and mouse are cut completely, and all signal to my monitor is completely lost, and the monitor goes into no-signal/standby mode. Once you shut it off manually by holding down the power button, and then attempt to restart, it will power up the led's, cd drive, hard drive, and 1 case fan, but nothing else will POST, and it will just sit there endlessly, without ever powering on completely. HOWEVER, if you let it sit, turned off, for at least 3 hours or so, and then give it a try, it will magically fire right up like nothing ever happened! Then, I may have anywhere from 5 minutes, to well over 48 hours before it does the weird crash again, and won't power back up for at least 3 hours again. Rinse and repeat.

System Specs (built August 2010):

Mobo: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO

CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 250 Regor 3.0GHz

GPU: XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB

HDD: WD Caviar Black 7501AALS

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw 4GB 1333 DDR3 (bought used from a buddy, can't remember exact model)

PSU: Corsair CX430

Mouse: Razer Death Adder 2013

Keyboard: Logitech K120

Any ideas of what's happening and why, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Most probably it's the PSU issue, check if the System has the same issue with another PSU, get a hgher wattage PSU if possible to test..

Details separate people.

Your Psu fan Isnt working. Does it Run for a bit then shutdown? If so it would be your Psu fan.... A big killer of Psu is Dog hair or animal hair 

Your Psu fan Isnt working. Does it Run for a bit then shutdown? If so it would be your Psu fan.... A big killer of Psu is Dog hair or animal hair 

You're correct, the PSU fan doesn't spin up when it's attempting to power up without success. In fact, no fans at all in the whole system turn on, except for my 1 rear exhaust case fan. No GPU fan, no CPU fan, not even the intake case fan right across from the exhaust will spin up. (but it all works fine when the whole system does have power)

Make sure your heatsink is touching your CPU. If the pins get loose then the system could overheat causing the cpu to protect itself and shutdown until its cool again.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Make sure your heatsink is touching your CPU. If the pins get loose then the system could overheat causing the cpu to protect itself and shutdown until its cool again.

None of my temp measuring programs have shown any temps any higher than normal on any parts, even when gaming. I've had it crash in games, yet also crash when completely idle. The activity/load amount seems to have nothing to do with when it crashes.

Have you checked your hdd connection, there could be a contact issue, try using another slot on your motherboard, and re-plug in your hdd cable both on the hdd and your mobo

i5-4690k @ 4.5ghz ---- Dual Gigabyte Gtx 780 OC Rev2.0's SLI ---- Noctua NH-D14 ---- Triple 1080p Surround

Have you checked your hdd connection, there could be a contact issue, try using another slot on your motherboard, and re-plug in your hdd cable both on the hdd and your mobo

Checked all connects inside, everything seemed fine and secure, especially since I have not opened the case or moved it in well over 3 months, the last time I dusted her out. The crashes started last week.

im definately going to say a bad psu.... nothing else would make sence except for bad contact points and overheating..... definately not ram.... it shouldnt be the motherboard or graphics card.... it could only be the psu

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

It could be your power supply dying or not being able to provide enough power.

Could also be a power issue with your motherboard. 

Are you overclocking?

Overclocking, especially the GPU, could be drawing more power than the PSU can give.

But not the CPU or RAM tho, unless your running a water-cooling loop.

im definately going to say a bad psu.... nothing else would make sence except for bad contact points and overheating..... definately not ram.... it shouldnt be the motherboard or graphics card.... it could only be the psu

Yes, it is most likely a power issue, but it might not be the PSU's fault.

Could just be that the system is drawing too much power.

It could be your power supply dying or not being able to provide enough power.

Could also be a power issue with your motherboard. 

Are you overclocking?

Overclocking, especially the GPU, could be drawing more power than the PSU can give.

But not the CPU or RAM tho, unless your running a water-cooling loop.

No overclock on even a single component. Everything running completely stock. No water-cooling, just 4 120mm case fans and stock CPU heatsink doing the cooling.

The Corsair CX430 PSU is not even a year old yet. The PSU is the only part I've had to replace in this build, after my old 500w exploded one day last year when I tried powering up. Everything I researched said that 430w was more than enough for this small, power-savvy 1 GPU system.

These crashes have only been happening for about 1 week now. The case had not been opened or moved since I last dusted it out over 3 months ago.