How to set up pfSense with one NIC and one Router/Modem?

PutuLips

Hi,

Is it possible to set up a pfSense proxy with only one NIC (2 VLANs) and one ADSL router? I've been trying for a while and nothing has worked.

Thanks

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

Hi,

Is it possible to set up a pfSense proxy with only one NIC (2 VLANs) and one ADSL router? I've been trying for a while and nothing has worked.

Thanks

You need a switch with VLAN support in order to work.

You need a switch with VLAN support in order to work.

Ah. Sounds expensive. If I have two NICs, is it still possible with one adsl modem/router? I can't think of a way to have the router in bridge mode, but also in modem mode at the same time...

Thanks

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

Ah. Sounds expensive. If I have two NICs, is it still possible with one adsl modem/router? I can't think of a way to have the router in bridge mode, but also in modem mode at the same time...

Thanks

I don't think too that using the same device for both will work. Yo need your ADSL modem/router (NAT disabled) as gateway for the WAN port in the pfSense box and another device router (bridge mode) or any cheap switch for the LAN port.