Unreal Engine 4 is now free

Rafy

Absolutely EPIC

Naaahh , it's unreal. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

happened to me as well Linus struggle to spell my name and wanted to change the names of the people who he couldn't spell lol  http://youtu.be/goz92THfA1I?t=56m48s

also @colonel_mortis - you might be interested in this , since you were complaining about buying Unreal 4 

I've already posted it as a status update (an hour before this thread was posted) ;)

HTTP/2 203

I'm really excited to start messing around with this. :D  Very cool news!

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

OMFG ARE YOU KIDDING me.....WTF time to learn C++ how did this happen?

oh god i had to slap myself i hope this isnt trolling

Time to download UE4 for free, learn C++ for free, and make games for free :)

This is a great idea especially as Unreal Engine is probably the best looking engine at the moment other than the Crytek engine which even today looks the best.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Does the Epic Games Launcher work for you guys? It won't connect to their servers for me.

I couldnt connect either,and now i connected but cant download many errors in ther.

Probably they are getting flooded with free downloaders now :))) shits awesome.

I couldnt connect either,and now i connected but cant download many errors in ther.

Probably they are getting flooded with free downloaders now :))) shits awesome.

Still not working here :D

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Oh god I hope this means Unity fades into obscurity.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Still not working here :D

I can connect now but i cant see any download,i got the launcher but wheres the engine download?or you have to download the source code of the engine? im not really sure,it just says up left no engine installed but nowhere to click download or install.

I can connect now but i cant see any download,i got the launcher but wheres the engine download?or you have to download the source code of the engine? im not really sure,it just says up left no engine installed but nowhere to click download or install.

Yeah i'm sure it is just getting flooded.  I got the launcher downloaded, and have made it 54% through the engine download, but then it said download failed.  I restarted, and now it seems to be stuck there.

Edit: Its working again, but dl speeds are anwhere from 10kb/s to 4Mb/s

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

nice, actually gives me an incentive to check it out. What programming language(s) can you use with it? 

The only ones that matter: C/C++. Just about anything else won't perform nearly as well. If you want a game to perform well and have consistent but high fps, C++ is about your only choice.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Select the Unreal Engine tab, then go to Library. In there, you should be able to click download on version 4.7.1. It will then download a pretty large file (multiple gigabytes).

I'm just glad I got the email before it was properly announced, so I was able to download the latest version before the servers crashed.

HTTP/2 203

The only ones that matter: C/C++. Just about anything else won't perform nearly as well. If you want a game to perform well and have consistent but high fps, C++ is about your only choice.

Is C++/C very similar to c#, I've heard c# is just an easier C/C++

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

<.< had UE4 since day 1 :3

was gonna renew my subscription but no need to now :P got $30 for free though

Character artist in the Games industry.

There's quite a lot of difference between them. The syntax is the same, but C# has a lot of nice friendly features to make it easier. C++ is pretty low level, so you have to deal with pointers and things (and NULL pointers). Epic have done most of the hard part though, and you can make a reasonable game by just using the build in graphical editor, though it does have some drawbacks.

HTTP/2 203

Select the Unreal Engine tab, then go to Library. In there, you should be able to click download on version 4.7.1. It will then download a pretty large file (multiple gigabytes).

I'm just glad I got the email before it was properly announced, so I was able to download the latest version before the servers crashed.

Thanks figured that out i was just too excited for a moment to look closer.Actually its working fine at 5-7MB/s download almost done now unless it crashes at the end xD.

Oh ,well once you pickup 1 language all seem to have some similarities,i only did C# so far and tried C++ they are a bit different the way they work.im still confused a bit about C++ the way it works with header .h  and .cpp files i need some good tutorials to get the basics of how  C++ works,and learn memory pointers dang, cause the syntax is not the issue.

When I started working with C# for a short project last spring I had almost no experience with C#, but quite a bit of C++ and Java experience.And I managed to start working pretty quickly.

Although C++ and C# are different from each other, if you know how to program in one you will not need to start over from square one in another.

Yes and no. They're much closer to the metal than C#, but the syntax and directives can be similar or extremely different depending on what you're doing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

There's quite a lot of difference between them. The syntax is the same, but C# has a lot of nice friendly features to make it easier. C++ is pretty low level, so you have to deal with pointers and things (and NULL pointers). Epic have done most of the hard part though, and you can make a reasonable game by just using the build in graphical editor, though it does have some drawbacks.

I've been trying to get lower level anyway, been doing some arduino projects like shift registers and such, sure it's not that difficult but at least im trying something new. Anyway thanks for the info :D

Nice! I may switch from Unity to Unreal, wonder if they fixed their 2D problems?

Unreal wasn't the best for 2D games, even Unity before the 2D tools was a better option, so hope that is fixed or at least on a roadmap.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Do you guys know any good tutorial websites/series for UE(4 preferably), i remember i tried out UE3 but what turned me off is lack of tutorials or i didnt search good enough,so i turned to unity,its full of unity tutorials and guides everywhere but if there arent any of UE thats a problem,you cant just learn something by trial and error,at least not me.

Come on. Still not working D:.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Oh ,well once you pickup 1 language all seem to have some similarities,i only did C# so far and tried C++ they are a bit different the way they work.im still confused a bit about C++ the way it works with header .h  and .cpp files i need some good tutorials to get the basics of how  C++ works,and learn memory pointers dang, cause the syntax is not the issue.

Header files generally do 2 things: define a class' member variables and functions, and give default implementations.

Also, syntax can be a big problem. "const" alone has about 8 different uses and is very nitpicky when it comes to function and operator use and overloading. Using templates is a bit clunky but is necessary to implement generics. Lambdas are not too different from C# (though in implementation they're much faster due to not actually being functions but in-line code), but because of const and rules in the various algorithm libraries they can be difficult to master.

C++ is difficult. Underestimating that will land you in hot water. You can make just a few lines do a ton very quickly, and in parallel no less, but being able to quickly write those 5 lines and understand exactly what they do takes time.

Nice, I'll try to look into it/mess around with it a bit. 

No idea how to use it, lol