Mantle SDK will be available to everyone this month! More details on the 5th!

VanayadGaming

Source: http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2015/03/02/on-apis-and-the-future-of-mantle

It seems that mantle will be made open source this month and more information will come at gdc, but if developers want to use version 1.0 they should instead focus on dx12 and vulkan.
Mantle will be used as a testbed to test new tech and you can still apply for it, it seems.
This year will be a transition period for mantle...

I wonder if mantle and vulkan will be related...considering their names

Update:http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2015/03/03/one-of-mantles-futures-vulkan

Such mixture these APIs.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

doesnt sound like they are gonna open source the API its self

450-page programming guide and API reference for Mantle +a public Mantle SDK

@VanayadGaming

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Mantle already is open source...Kronos has the entire thing. 

from what i heard from Richard huddy on the PcPer podcast was they gave them their "playbook" (what they did etc) but not all the code

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Raj Koduri said

However, if you are a developer interested in Mantle "1.0" functionality, we suggest that you focus your attention on DirectX® 12 or GLnext

That's big. Now that Mantle has succeeded as a proof of concept AMD is now diverting people away from Mantle 1 and towards the industry standards that have since cropped up. Good to see.

I guess new revisions of Mantle will continue to test other experimental techniques.

Basically that is what he said. Testing new features in mantle and "exporting" them to vulkan and dx12

To @Faa

Finally do you understand that every new API (DX12 and Vulkan) has used Mantle source, like Richard Huddy claimed? 

To @Faa

Finally do you understand that every new API (DX12 and Vulkan) has used Mantle source, like Richard Huddy claimed?

I knew amd was involved with dx12, but I didn't think they were that much involved

I knew amd was involved with dx12, but I didn't think they were that much involved

They aren't. Microsoft decided to repurpose some of Mantle into Direct3D 12 (part of the Direct X package).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

To @Faa

You're so naive, the article doesn't mention anything of releasing the source code, it's the SDK they're giving out.

"This vital effort has replaced our intention to release a public Mantle SDK," 

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GDC-15-AMD-Mantle-Might-Be-Dead-We-Know-It-No-Public-SDK-Planned

You're so naive, the article doesn't mention anything of releasing the source code, it's the SDK they're giving out.

"This vital effort has replaced our intention to release a public Mantle SDK," 

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GDC-15-AMD-Mantle-Might-Be-Dead-We-Know-It-No-Public-SDK-Planned

That actually means AMD will not be releasing a public SDK and instead are releasing a 450-page guide referencing how Mantle works along with it's API.

kinda needs to be, as it's akin to an amd version of nvidia's physX - cool tech, but pointless if it can't be used by roughly 50% of people due to trademarking.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

To @Faa

I don't think AMD gave mantle stuff to microsoft. It's just that it has influenced the design direction of dx12. I.e. Mantle worked as a proof of concept and may have inspired others to use similar approaches.

I don't think AMD gave mantle stuff to microsoft. It's just that it has influenced the design direction of dx12. I.e. Mantle worked as a proof of concept and may have inspired others to use similar approaches.

DX12 was presented 3 months after Mantle's release, there's no time to "implement" Mantle at all. Cutting CPU overhead/going lower was done way before Mantle's release.

Well, there were talks about dx12 hosted by amd... so I wouldn't be surprised.

kinda needs to be, as it's akin to an amd version of nvidia's physX - cool tech, but pointless if it can't be used by roughly 50% of people due to trademarking.

NVAPI is more of a direct comparison. It was unused for a very long time, now it's part of GameWorks. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2891672/amds-mantle-10-is-dead-long-live-directx.html

Vice President Raja Koduri: “...f you are a developer interested in Mantle “1.0” functionality, we suggest that you focus your attention on DirectX 12 or GLnext,”

They have also stated they no longer plan to release their public SDK as originally planned.

Oh well, I suppose Mantle was good while it lasted

Desktop: Uhh....

My Console: PlayStation 4      My Phone: ~~Nexus 6~~ RIP. Now a Moto G     

My Tablet: iPad Air 2     My Laptop: Lenovo Y50 4K (i7-4710HQ/12GB Ram/860M)

Mantle did its job in getting the other big two to get there arses in gear.

Ty mantle!

Exactly, that was the whole point. I think DX 12 would not have been what it is today without mantle, or at least they wouldn't be pushing it out so fast. :)

Mantle did its job in getting the other big two to get there arses in gear.

Ty mantle!

Microsoft was already working on it. Some parts of Mantle *might* be included in the new OpenGL but now that Mantle won't be released as open source we will never know how much.

What I am trying to say is that Mantle's contribution to low level APIs were probably insignificant.

I think it's very good that it was killed off. Having a closed API that only works on the last few generation of cards from 1 manufacturer is not good for developers or customers.

Now we just need to wait and see how good DirectX will be.

But but but we need to buy an AMD card .... because Mantle ... every game will use mantle ... buy an amd card ...  :unsure:

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log