Steam games related question !

kizoku_95

I just reinstalled Steam after a fresh install of WIndows 8.1 and I am not very well versed with Steam !

It has been over half a year since I used Steam.

I just wanted to know how to install a game from the game files I copied to an external HDD long ago without having to download the whole game over again !

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED !

Edited by kizoku_95

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

Menu, Backup and Restore Games.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Menu, Backup and Restore Games.

I have the game files but Steam doesnot recognise them as a backup !

is there some way where I can place those files in the Steam directory so that it recognises the game files .

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

I have the game files but Steam doesnot recognise them as a backup !

is there some way where I can place those files in the Steam directory so that it recognises the game files .

Is it a backup or a saved folder of the games?

Is it a backup or a saved folder of the games?

I dont believe that it is a backup !

i think it is the game installation files I took out from the directory itself in the old days ! 

i think its the type of files that are stored in origin games which arent installed files but the downloaded ones which when copied over start to get installed in the ORIGIN client.

I dont believe that it is a backup !

i think it is the game installation files I took out from the directory itself in the old days ! 

i think its the type of files that are stored in origin games which arent installed files but the downloaded ones which when copied over start to get installed in the ORIGIN client.

Steam doesn't work that way.  There are no game installers, Steam downloads the whole fully installed directory with no installation required unlike Origin.  If you just copied the whole folder without going through the backup process, you can PROBABLY just throw them back into steamapps/common restart Steam and it should recognize it.  I haven't done this in ages so I have no idea if this still works.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

if you still have original folder of your steam just run the steam.exe

it will do the rest, you don't even have to re-install it

steam it self just a browser based on webkit

if the games has an update then update it, and run the games from library.

if you see linus video he had portable Steam SSD with him so he dont have to re-download whole games everytime they running all that bench on multiple computer.

Drag them into your install games folder, when you click the install button steam will recognize the files already present and download any new updates.

Make sure you already have that folder set as a steam directory before placing files into the place cause steam doesn't like reusing folders much unless they're empty, then move your stuff into it (unless it's the default folder)

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

Worst comes to worst just queue up all your games in a download string and have a night were they all download.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb