Talk me out of buying a blue yeti.

HeyKitty
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

if after all said and done it is cheaper for me to buy from you than to buy off the internet, I'll be up for it, I'm US though, so you aren't looking at much money because of shipping across sea.

Shipping to the US would cost a lot anywhere from $20 - $50 USD so its kind of pointless 

sorry kitty :3

So I really just use a mic for average video calls and co-op gaming. Though I do sometimes need to record a sound for a video project... I am currently using a $20 logitech webcam+mic. better option at/under $100?

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

So I really just use a mic for average video calls and co-op gaming. Though I do sometimes need to record a sound for a video project... I am currently using a $20 logitech webcam+mic. better option at/under $100?

I have a yeti, dont like it, condenser mics are to sensitive, even at low they pick up everything you do, the yeti can hear my whispering, moving in my seat, typing, the sound of my mouse moving across my desk, swallowing etc

unless you are in a dead quiet house, and are not moving, I personally find dynamic microphones to handle it much better

that said, its sound quality is very impressive for the cost, but there are much cheaper condenser mics if you want something similar for half the cost

like a samson c01u or the meteor

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have a yeti, dont like it, condenser mics are to sensitive, even at low they pick up everything you do, the yeti can hear my whispering, moving in my seat, typing, the sound of my mouse moving across my desk, swallowing etc

unless you are in a dead quiet house, and are not moving, I personally find dynamic microphones to handle it much better

that said, its sound quality is very impressive for the cost, but there are much cheaper condenser mics if you want something similar for half the cost

Or just get a sound isolated room or make a small recording room with foam everywhere. 

The Samson is nowhere near half the price of a Yeti..

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Or just get a sound isolated room or make a small recording room with foam everywhere. 

yeah, sure let me just turn my house into a private recording room... and spend an extra $200 on sound isolating foam, carpets, shock mounts and boom arms....

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

yeah, sure let me just turn my house into a private recording room... and spend an extra $200 on sound isolating foam, carpets, shock mounts and boom arms....

You dont need to do all that.... 

I personally own the Samson C01U and it definitely has a lot of bang for the buck. But anyways, the Yeti needs proprietary accessories and it's too heavy for a lot of mic stands. If you want to spend that much get the AT2020USB. It's lighter, sounds better, and can be used with normal accessories.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

You dont need to do all that.... 

see his shock mount? and mic stand? they cost about $100, they dont come free with the microphone your know plus a longer cable

plus how would I do live commentary on my PC in a tiny booth, I would need a much larger area or the whole room doing

I personally own the Samson C01U and it definitely has a lot of bang for the buck. But anyways, the Yeti needs proprietary accessories and it's too heavy for a lot of mic stands. If you want to spend that much get the AT2020USB. It's lighter, sounds better, and can be used with normal accessories.

yeah its a great little mic! especially for the cost (there is a bgrade one on amazon for $40 right now, crazy)

yeah the AT2020 is a great mic too

Again not knocking the yeti, it can be used VERY effectively, I just feel that for the money you could save and get a rode procaster or something and make a real investment out of it!

I'm liking the samson meteor. Talk me out of that? :)  I just want something that keeps my voice clear and my cherry MXblues out of the audio stream.

I'm liking the samson meteor. Talk me out of that? :)  I just want something that keeps my voice clear and my cherry MXblues out of the audio stream.

not really possible with a condenser, unless you mount it up high, if its on your desk it will pick up key strokes

why not get a mod mic or a lavelier mic

Snowball, especially if you can mount it on a swing arm ($15 on Amazon) or at least get it up above your keyboard.  

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

q

You have it turned up way to much then, I use mine at like 60% windows volume with the gain turned all the way down and it doesn't pick up very much at all besides my voice + random strange noises I make on teamspeak.

If I have it on open mic for things like skype, it picks up my keyboard a little bit, but not terribly.

Mics like the yeti IMO are designed to be very close to your face with the volume turned down as low as possible to where it still picks up your voice.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

You have it turned up way to much then, I use mine at like 60% windows volume with the gain turned all the way down and it doesn't pick up very much at all besides my voice + random strange noises I make on teamspeak.

I have it at like 30% and gain near the bottom, still not clean enough, its even on a boom arm

still going to be replacing it with something else, either a rode procastor or electrovice re320 (if I can afford)

I have it at like 30% and gain near the bottom, still not clean enough, its even on a boom arm

still going to be replacing it with something else, either a rode procastor or electrovice re320 (if I can afford)

Wanna send me your yeti? I'll pay shipping! :)

Wanna send me your yeti? I'll pay shipping! :)

you can BUY it lol i wouldnt give it away for free,

not really possible with a condenser, unless you mount it up high, if its on your desk it will pick up key strokes

why not get a mod mic or a lavelier mic

All mics will pick up key strokes and mouse clicks. Modmic also has the problem of being 3.5mm. If the input on the motherboard sucks then the modmic will sound weak and an dedicated sound card would be needed just to get the modmic to sound decent.

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

All mics will pick up key strokes and mouse clicks. Modmic also has the problem of being 3.5mm. If the input on the motherboard sucks then the modmic will sound weak and an dedicated sound card would be needed just to get the modmic to sound decent.

yeah i know that but condenser mics are considerably more sensitive, especially as the blue yeti has 3 massive condenser pickups inside 

thats true, but the OP didnt sound like he needed anytthing serious

if i where you go for the yeti's little brother, the blue snowball

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

well this is a new type of thread.

Tbh the form factor is the biggest turn-off for me. I much prefer a discreet boom mic type, or a clip on. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?