New Graphics Card Not Working? (GTX 970)

I received a B-Grade Gigabyte GTX 970 from OCUK today and I can't get a signal from it.

Could it be a driver issue or is the thing likely just a brick. I really just want it to work, but not getting anything from it.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

does the computer work with out the card in in ?

Yeah, I just pulled my 470 and fitted the 970 and now I'm running the monitor from the motherboard.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

not accusing you of being an idiot lol so don't rage.

1) have you connected 2 6 pin power connectors to it?

2) have you plugged the video cable into the gpu or mobo?

3) have you tried a different cable??

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I received a B-Grade Gigabyte GTX 970 from OCUK today and I can't get a signal from it.

Could it be a driver issue or is the thing likely just a brick. I really just want it to work, but not getting anything from it.

Did you try other PCI E slot?

Yeah, I just pulled my 470 and fitted the 970 and now I'm running the monitor from the motherboard.

ok now reinstall it in another pcie lane and make sure all you connections are connected

No, I jut fitted it in the same slot I just pulled the 470 from. I guess I could give that a try.

I tried to update the drivers but the nvidia installer is giving me an error message saying it can't detect any hardware.

I'll try re-seating it. :0/

No, I jut fitted it in the same slot I just pulled the 470 from. I guess I could give that a try.

I tried to update the drivers but the nvidia installer is giving me an error message saying it can't detect any hardware.

I'll try re-seating it. :0/

It happened to me before. I have to put into PCIE2 then uninstall all the nvidia drivers then install clean. Then restart to desktop readjust to resolution. Shut down. Put back to PCI1. Make sure to check bios too. PCI1.

not accusing you of being an idiot lol so don't rage.

1) have you connected 2 6 pin power connectors to it?

2) have you plugged the video cable into the gpu or mobo?

3) have you tried a different cable??

ok now reinstall it in another pcie lane and make sure all you connections are connected

It happened to me before. I have to put into PCIE2 then uninstall all the nvidia drivers then install clean. Then restart to desktop readjust to resolution. Shut down. Put back to PCI1. Make sure to check bios too. PCI1.

so you went her and downloaded it?

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/81877

and are you getting a display when you connect the graphics card? 

I have two monitors. I just plugged one into the motherboard to write this. The other monitor is plugged into the 970.

The nVidia drivers won't install because the installer can't detect any graphics card hardware. The fans on the graphics card are running on full continuously.

I have an eight pin and a six pin power connector connected to it (that's what it has connectors for).

I've got a modular power supply and have switched the sockets feeding the card and still no change. I'm yet to try a different pair of PCI-E cables. The card I just pulled ran off of 2 six pin connectors so their could be a problem with the last two connectors (although I just pulled a 770 from it about two weeks ago, but there's a chance it might be the PCI-E cable so I'll swap them both out and see if I can get anything from the card).

Also, did just try re-seating it in the second PCI-E slot (and unplugged and re-plugged the power cables) but still nothing.

I'm not sure if having existing drivers installed would stop it being detected by the nVidia driver installer? Also, it's not showing up in device manager.

I'll try swapping the PCI-E cables.

It's a 700w PSU and they're 12v cables?

go into device manager, if it's not noticed there then you've got a problem.

its probably a dud and that's why it was returned originally.

unless it was only grade b because it was unbowed for photographing reasons but even then it could have got a shock from static people.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Can you see it in bios

No but I'm not sure where to look for it. I looked through everything and didn't see anything referring to a graphics card (maybe I should seat my old one and see where it should show up).

go into device manager, if it's not noticed there then you've got a problem.

It's not showing up in device manager. :0/

Heyyo,

Go into your BIOS settings, it should have an option for primary Graphics Card and set it to PCI-E slot 1 or 2, whichever your GTX 970 is installed in and then save the BIOS settings and power off your PC. Once that's done? Plug both monitor cables into the GTX 970 and have none plugged into the motherboard ports.

I think what's happening is your motherboard is booting to the intergrated GPU and is preventing the BIOS for detecting your GTX 970.

Also, the recommended way of installing graphics drivers on a new GPU? Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

• Download the program, extract it and restart in Safe Mode (F8 tap it during reboot after BIOS screen)
  • Run DDU, Select "Clean & Restart"
  • Once back in regular boot? it'll detect and install basic display drivers (DON'T select "Clean Install" under the custom settings, it sometimes has problems with SLI setups). Once that's done? Install the latest NVIDIA drivers for your GPU and then reboot
  • (Optional)Once rebooted? Enable SLI!
  • (Optional) Open up DDU (if it asks to reboot into safe mode? you don't need to, so say no) and then click on "Set Automatic Driver Installation to Default"

There's also the rare case your BIOS might need an update. I've seen some BIOS firmware updates have change logs that say stuff like "Increased PCI-E VGA compatibility" which could be part of your issue. What brand and model is your motherboard?

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

Remove the monitor that is plugged into the monitor

Hehe I think you meant into the motherboard. :P

Heyyo,

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Remove the monitor that is plugged into the monitor

I was booting it with it plugged into the graphics card and only plugging it into the motherboard after trying to boot it so that I could log on here, so I don't think it's that.

What brand and model is your motherboard?

It's an Asus Z97-C.

I've never experienced this before. Surely if it's able to detect my 470 it should detect the 970?

Heyyo,

I was booting it with it plugged into the graphics card and only plugging it into the motherboard after trying to boot it so that I could log on here, so I don't think it's that.

Still, check your BIOS settings for primary graphics. It should be set to a PCI-E slot and not the intergrated GPU. It might have defaulted to that after swapping GPUs. Silly BIOS sometimes makes choices on its own.

It's an Asus Z97-C.

I've never experienced this before. Surely if it's able to detect my 470 it should detect the 970?

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97C/HelpDesk_Download/

I'd still recommend trying a BIOS update because you never know. Their notes say a lot with system stability for the updates and CPU compatibility but you never know. ;)

Of course, it's up to you since there's the small chance the BIOS update could screw up and then you'd need to send it for warranty repairs/replacement. It's the risk of any firmware update. Of the dozens of times I've done it? I've only had it fail on one very old motherboard that I thought was dying... and surely enough, it was. This was back when I was still a full time computer tech so I just RMA'ed it and got a fresh one and the BIOS update worked on that.

Other than that? The only other thing I can recommend is try using the GTX 970 in a friend's computer or ask a local computer shop to function test it. If it doesn't work in another PC and power connections are confirmed? Sadly I think you got a DOA card at this point...

It's rare this will happen, but just like anything manufactured by humans? There's always a chance of a defective product. Usually their quality assurance team will spot them before they leave the manufacturing plant, but there's still that rare chance that one gets missed. That's why we get warranty and 15 / 30 day return policies.

Heyyo,

Sadly I think you got a DOA card at this point...

To be honest, that's what my instinct's telling me. I'm plugging a Gigabyte GTX 970 into an Asus Z97-C which has worked instantly with both a 470 and a 770. I should be able to at least get it to show up in device manager.

Also, I've looked all through the BIOS and I can't find any reference to my working card (the one I've re-installed and am using at the moment) nor an option for configuring which is the main PCI-E, it just doesn't seem to be a feature of my motherboard's BIOS.

I'll try updating the BIOS and see if it makes a difference, but to be honest I'm not holding out too much hope for this card.

Edit: It seems it's got a missing component.

It doesn't have anything plugged into the socket that the red and black wires are plugged into in this picture...

post-67079-0-99962100-1425315853.jpg

Heyyo,

Edit: It seems it's got a missing component.

It doesn't have anything plugged into the socket that the red and black wires are plugged into in this picture...

That's the fan power plugin. It can vary in placement model to model. Does the fans spin when you power on the PC?

Yeah if BIOS update doesn't work? Try a different PC. Either a friends or a local computer shop. They might charge you a diagnostic fee unless you bought it from that shop but meh, it's better to make 100% sure instead of refunding the card and then the next one doing the same thing on your PC.

Heyyo,

Heyyo,

That's the fan power plugin. It can vary in placement model to model. Does the fans spin when you power on the PC?

Yeah if BIOS update doesn't work? Try a different PC. Either a friends or a local computer shop. They might charge you a diagnostic fee unless you bought it from that shop but meh, it's better to make 100% sure instead of refunding the card and then the next one doing the same thing on your PC.

I know what you mean but I'm pretty sure this thing is faulty.

There's a picture of one taken apart here and it's got both sockets.

Also, it arrived without a back-plate. To be honest I wouldn't really mind if it would just work but my mobo's just not detecting it.

I'll try updating the bios and see if that makes a difference.

If I could get it working it would be great but it just feels like it's broken and it's kind of depressing me.

I've contacted them and they've sent me an RMA number but I'll take another look at it.

http://www.techspot.com/review/885-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-gtx-980/

Image_04.jpg

Well I updated my Motherboard BIOS but still nothing. I think I just have to return the thing.