2 Way Crossfire R9 280x worth it?

Hi,

I'd like to hear everybody's opinion on this, I already have a AMD R9 280X GPU And i'm thinking about getting another one. Is it worth getting one or would i be better off buying a new/better GPU. (I can get another 280x for around 170 usd.)

It sounds like a pretty great deal to me..

Most people will say "get a 290 and crossfire it later" but when that later comes they will say the same thing about the newest GPU.

Go for it.

What CPU do you have btw?

if you buy used you can get one cheaper than that, it's a good plan as two 280's would net you a good amount of grunt.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Hi,

I'd like to hear everybody's opinion on this, I already have a AMD R9 280X GPU And i'm thinking about getting another one. Is it worth getting one or would i be better off buying a new/better GPU. (I can get another 280x for around 170 usd.)

It actually would be. You would be getting performance better than either a gtx 970 or r9 290x. First of all however, what is your cpu and power supply? And are you happy with your current setup/performance?

Hi,

For that price hell yeah, do note: you can also Xfire with a 7970 with no issues at all with a 280x cause they're the same just rebadged or a 280 or 7950(with slightly less performance because slightly weaker gpu) because Xfire unlike SLI is okay as long as GPUs are fairly similar

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Thx for ur reply Tim Drake, Here's my setup:

• Cooler Master Case 
• AMD FX-8350 
• 16GB RAM 
• 1TB Seagate HDD 
• AMD R9 280X 
• Windows 8.1 64-bit 
• Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma
• Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 
• Headset: Astro A40 
• Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+
• 700 watt PSU

• Cooler Master Case 

• AMD FX-8350 

• 16GB RAM 

• 1TB Seagate HDD 

• AMD R9 280X 

• Windows 8.1 64-bit 

• 750watt PSU

Press quote next to my name so I get notified.

Also follow your own topic to get notifications top right of the thread.

In my opinion, that CPU isn't good enough for two 280xes so I will have to leave it down to experts to help you..

It actually would be. You would be getting performance better than either a gtx 970 or r9 290x. First of all however, what is your cpu and power supply? And are you happy with your current setup/performance?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 

PSU: Coolermaster 700watt

• Cooler Master Case 

• AMD FX-8350 

• 16GB RAM 

• 1TB Seagate HDD 

• AMD R9 280X 

• Windows 8.1 64-bit 

• 750watt PSU

A 750w power supply is cutting it. It should be enough for 280x crossfire but barely. No headroom. I would get a new power supply, especially since the 8350 is pretty power hungry. Two 280xs will be bottlenecked in some titles though

A 700w power supply is cutting it. It should be enough for 280x crossfire but barely. No headroom. I would get a new power supply, especially since the 8350 is pretty power hungry. Two 280xs will be bottlenecked in some titles though

So you're saying i should get a 800-1000watt psu?

So you're saying i should get a 800-1000watt psu?

A 1000w would be ideal. Also what games do you play/wish to play?

A 1000w would be ideal. Also what games do you play/wish to play?

Mostly quite light games such as CS:GO,Rust,H1Z1 but also games like AC,GTAV, etc.

Mostly quite light games such as CS:GO,Rust,H1Z1 but also games like AC,GTAV, etc.

Then you should be good. If you do experience any bottleneck it wouldn't be the end of the world since you already have the cards and can upgrade to a more powerful socket in the future. Another question are you happy with your current performance? If you are I don't see that much sense in getting another card. If you do want some extra power however then get another 280x. 

It should increase the power allot but your cpu might bottleneck slightly and I've had tons of issues with xfire so there's that.

in my opinnion a crossfire 280X is not realy worth it.

Your psu needs to be upgraded aswell, then.

Next to that, it also depends on your motherboard.

If you are on a 970 chipset board, then you allready have a slight issue there.

Because the xfire will only work on 4x speed.

I doubt the PSU is problematic. What speed is your CPU running at? I run a stock 4670k and 2 290xs and it has never drawn 700W from the wall (I have a power measuring thingy), so the system itself is using a good 75-100W less. I know my CPU is more power efficient, but the 290xs will draw a good chunk more power.post-68461-0-46274300-1425308076_thumb.j

I doubt the PSU is problematic. What speed is your CPU running at? I run a stock 4670k and 2 290xs and it has never drawn 700W from the wall (I have a power measuring thingy), so the system itself is using a good 75-100W less. I know my CPU is more power efficient, but the 290xs will draw a good chunk more power.attachicon.gifIMG_20150228_172310.jpg

My cpu is running at 5ghz.

My cpu is running at 5ghz.

Hmm, it might be cutting it fine. I advise you buy a power measuring thing like I have, it cost me about £15. I measured how much power my whole system used with 1 290x, which I wanted to test before adding a second. If your system is drawing under 450W in a heavy gaming scenario from the wall then you're good to go.

Hmm, it might be cutting it fine. I advise you buy a power measuring thing like I have, it cost me about £15. I measured how much power my whole system used with 1 290x, which I wanted to test before adding a second. If your system is drawing under 450W in a heavy gaming scenario from the wall then you're good to go.

Alright m8, thank you for your advice :)

I'd save the money and upgrade the cpu. 

FX 8350 would bottleneck the 280x in crossfire. The price you paid for the second card wouldn't be worth it then.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'd save the money and upgrade the cpu. 

FX 8350 would bottleneck the 280x in crossfire. The price you paid for the second card wouldn't be worth it then.

So i should get something like a FX 9590 and then get another 280x?

So i should get something like a FX 9590 and then get another 280x?

Get an intel cpu. You would need to save up for new motherboard. 

But getting an FX 9590 wouldn't be a smart choice. And after you have saved

up for a new cpu, don't get a second 280x. AMD would have already released

better performing cards by then.    

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

i had a 8350 and dual 280x crossfire and hell yes its worth it. i also ran all that plus my 8350 oc'd to 4.5-4.8ghz on a 750w power supply (80 bronze) and never had any trouble.

two 280x's beat a gtx-980

the 8350 will handle them pretty well the higher the oc on the cpu the better. it will play any game ultra settings at very good framerates

you can get a used 280x off ebay for $130-150 easy

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

i had a 8350 and dual 280x crossfire and hell yes its worth it. i also ran all that plus my 8350 oc'd to 4.5-4.8ghz on a 750w power supply (80 bronze) and never had any trouble.

two 280x's beat a gtx-980

the 8350 will handle them pretty well the higher the oc on the cpu the better. it will play any game ultra settings at very good framerates

you can get a used 280x off ebay for $130-150 easy

Thank you so much, That info really helps!

ATM i have my 8450 clocked at 4.8ghz since 5 didn't run that "great".

Do u think a 700w CoolerMaster B700 will do?