HDD related question

Doc X
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

I was just saying friends pc, external HDD as examples. I might need to format my SSD so i wanted to know the procedure to still be able to use the storage drive without having an issue.

You would most probably need to reinstall any games or programs on that HDD, but apart from that, you should be able to access all data on that HDD with no issues at all. :)

Captain_WD.

So i have my OS on my SSD and i use my HDD as a storage drive(surprise surprise). But i want to know something that i've always wondered about. If i format my SSD or start using a friends PC for example, Will the HDD work as an external HD? Will i be able to just plug in the HDD and use it normally? Or will i have to do some other thing to make it work?

CPU: i7 8700k l Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F l GPU: Palit GTX 1080 Super Jetstream l Ram: DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z Black/White 3200MHz 16GB l PSU: Corsair HX850i l

If you just plug it into the mobo and PSU, than it will work perfectly fine, obviously you'll need another drive with some OS installed on it, but accessing the data on the HDD is as easy as using a USB or CD. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I don't really understand what you mean but

if your "HDD" is an external drive, then you just need to plug it to any devices you want

if it's internal drive then you need an Adapter/External case if you want it to connect from USB

but if you meant, will it works internally on any computer if you hook it? of course it will, unless it broke down or something.

yes but there would be a little bit of config to do but ye you could plug it into another pc. But make sure you have a SATA Cable and a free drive bay

~Luna

yes but there would be a little bit of config to do but ye you could plug it into another pc. But make sure you have a SATA Cable and a free drive bay

~Luna

What kind of config?

CPU: i7 8700k l Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F l GPU: Palit GTX 1080 Super Jetstream l Ram: DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z Black/White 3200MHz 16GB l PSU: Corsair HX850i l

I don't know what config you need for usb hard drive

but it works just like any USB Drive, just plug and play.

I don't really understand what you mean but

if your "HDD" is an external drive, then you just need to plug it to any devices you want

if it's internal drive then you need an Adapter/External case if you want it to connect from USB

but if you meant, will it works internally on any computer if you hook it? of course it will, unless it broke down or something.

Yes, that's what i meant. It's an Internal HDD but i wanted to know if it is as easy to plug in and use as a external HDD. Meaning no setup/config required to use it.

So i have my OS on my SSD and i use my HDD as a storage drive(surprise surprise). But i want to know something that i've always wondered about. If i format my SSD or start using a friends PC for example, Will the HDD work as an external HD? Will i be able to just plug in the HDD and use it normally? Or will i have to do some other thing to make it work?

Hey Doc X,

If you want to simply use a storage drive from one computer on another, you should be just fine plugging it internally while the system is shut or externally when it is running and it should appear in Disk management or pop up as a external storage (flash drive, SD card, etc.).
If you want to boot from it, though, you might encounter problems with compatibility or OS licences. 
Just to make sure I understand your plan better: you are planning to format the SSD, unplug it and use it internally on a friend's computer, or you are going to format the SSD and use your HDD with the files on a friend's computer, leaving the blank (formatted) SSD in yours?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Usually a driver is required as bare minimum. You can get a USB3 to Sata adapter cable to have the HDD run externally through a USB connection, but in most cases you will need external power supply because the HDD requires more power than a USB port can provide.

This is true for 3.5" desktop drives. OP can get an external enclosure with a separate power connection or a simple docking station.

2.5" are small enough to be powered only by a SATA to USB cable :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Usually a driver is required as bare minimum. You can get a USB3 to Sata adapter cable to have the HDD run externally through a USB connection, but in most cases you will need external power supply because the HDD requires more power than a USB port can provide.

Hey Doc X,

If you want to simply use a storage drive from one computer on another, you should be just fine plugging it internally while the system is shut or externally when it is running and it should appear in Disk management or pop up as a external storage (flash drive, SD card, etc.).
If you want to boot from it, though, you might encounter problems with compatibility or OS licences. 
Just to make sure I understand your plan better: you are planning to format the SSD, unplug it and use it internally on a friend's computer, or you are going to format the SSD and use your HDD with the files on a friend's computer, leaving the blank (formatted) SSD in yours?

Captain_WD.

I was just saying friends pc, external HDD as examples. I might need to format my SSD so i wanted to know the procedure to still be able to use the storage drive without having an issue.

You would most probably need to reinstall any games or programs on that HDD, but apart from that, you should be able to access all data on that HDD with no issues at all. :)

Captain_WD.