Modem or Router both?

Dionyz

Anyways I have spend hours, and hours looking up any useful information on what is the best modem router. I am surprised there is no website that has an benchmark on modem routers. Routers sure, but as soon as I look up modems there is pretty much an blank... Anyways my issue is the current modem router is Arris/Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard... It blows. As soon as 2 devices are on wifi connection drops, and I get stability issues. Meanwhile the cable part is fine. Just wondering

1) If you place an vertical router horizontal does it affect performance? (Overheating for example)

2) What is the best router modem (Cable router)? (I cannot find for the life of me on how many devices can be connected without an performance drop. Heck none of them even claim on how many can be connected.)

3) What are the best modems?

Please help I am in an serious problem, and I really do not want to get an really bad device. As soon as i amazon anything click on the one star tab and there are very bad issues on ALL devices. 

Yep keep the modem,just get a router.and disable wifi on the one you have now

All you need is a new router to attach to your current modem.

Doesn't matter if you place them sideways or even upside down. The antennas on most routers can be rotated. You want them pointed vertically.

What router you need depends on the speed of your internet line, number of devices using wifi and how far away those devices will be.

Of course you can always get an overkill AC1750++ dual band router.

The device I have right now is 2 in one, so I can hook another router to my modem-router?

Yup. You can even daisy-chain routers if you want to.

Alright thanks for helping :) 

Anyways do you have an recommendation for an router? I so far looked up the best of the best routers, and found on Amazon under the one star section that there are signal drops all the time. 

If you're after one that has no negative reviews, they don't exist. Any 10 year old with enough pocket money could get the best router, not know how to set it up and post a negative review.

Like I said, it depends your internet line, number of devices and the coverage you need.

Actually I can see issues from them actually calling, and they even say they done exactly everything. Maybe defective.

I am looking with anything that does not drop connection at all... My neighbor hood has a lot of routers, and I believe I am getting interference.

Xfinity, I want to at lease connect 8 devices before an connection drops. Something that will not overheat.