Cooler Master v650 Loud pop/click right before shutdown

Guest THL22

Alright guys so I got rid of my Be quiet straight power 10 because it was giving me uncontrollable coilwhine at uncertain times.
Now I got myself the Cooler master v650 Semi modulair. Install went fine. Booted up quiet. no complains there. But when I was satisfied and wanted to turn my pc off I heard a loud pop/click/tick (like flicking a switch) right before it lost power. 
I booted up and shut down a couple more times to make sure but yeah there is a rather loud sound. 

does anyone know what this is? or do I need to RMA this one as well? :(

Alright guys so I got rid of my Be quiet straight power 10 because it was giving me uncontrollable coilwhine at uncertain times.

Now I got myself the Cooler master v650 Semi modulair. Install went fine. Booted up quiet. no complains there. But when I was satisfied and wanted to turn my pc off I heard a loud pop/click/tick (like flicking a switch) right before it lost power. 

I booted up and shut down a couple more times to make sure but yeah there is a rather loud sound. 

does anyone know what this is? or do I need to RMA this one as well? :(

Somebody with an AX1200i had a similar problem yesterday. Yep, that PSU is pretty much dead. You need to RMA.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/319703-ax-1200i-blew-up/

The user above also made the same joke on that thread, without actually contributing to the thread.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Thanks for your reply. But didn't turn of with a bang or so to speak. I heard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMOZij5kb8Q (near the end) I background noise is just a bad camera with a fan. (not my video by the way. The pc works perfectly fine. No complains (so far) its only a click when right before it loses power.

It's still advisable to RMA I think. I mean you won't want the PSU to affect the rest (Although I'm not sure will it affect the rest). Just in case. :)

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Thanks for your reply. But didn't turn of with a bang or so to speak. I heard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMOZij5kb8Q (near the end) I background noise is just a bad camera with a fan. (not my video by the way. The pc works perfectly fine. No complains (so far) its only a click when right before it loses power.

My bad, misread. Thought your PSU was dead.

I wouldn't consider the click much cause for concern. My HDD's and PSU make "interesting" noise when shutting down too. :P

You think? because I must say I'm getting kind of tired looking through thousands of PSU hoping that one will work. This V650 seems to work as of now. except for the click at the end of the power down sequence. I still need to get in touch with the guys at cooler master.

Yeah, good thing to ask em just to be sure. The click like in the video I consider pretty standard, my old PC and my PS3's PSU make a similar sound during normal shut downs.

I've always just seen it as some kind of electrical noise associated with the PSU shutting down. 

JonnyGuru's reviews of the CM V series PSU's are pretty good so I don't doubt the quality of the PSU.

If it turns out that you do want to return it and go for something else. I suggest giving the EVGA Supernova 750W G2 a look.

Yeah more people seem to talk about that particular PSU.

Haha yeah, cause there's little better value than that available right now.

750W, 80+ Gold, full Japanese capacitors, 10 year warranty, fully modular, good looking design and cables, for $100 or less..

Thanks for your reply. But didn't turn of with a bang or so to speak. I heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMOZij5kb8Q
(near the end) I background noise is just a bad camera with a fan. (not my video by the way. The pc works perfectly fine. No complains (so far) its only a click when right before it loses power.

That's a relay engaging/disengaging. It's normal in PSUs nowadays.