Slow ethernet

Uwillparish

is it possible its Ethernet cables?

There's no harm in testing with a different cable, but I doubt it.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Hi guys,

I have a freenas system, and i recently upgraded it with a gigabit lan card, to be able to transfer files faster, And it seems its not working, i get about 30MB/Second with cat6 cable(about 9 meters and 3 meters) and a tp link sg108 network switch, can anyone give me some suggestions?

@Uwillparish, I have the same switch. I get about the same speeds as what you're getting. I believe it has something to with the throughput that the switch has. I'm still deciding whether to change switch or not.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

@Uwillparish, I have the same switch. I get about the same speeds as what you're getting. I believe it has something to with the throughput that the switch has. I'm still deciding whether to change switch or not.

I also have a fios router behind the switch, it seems it gets the same issue, I'll probably get fios to replace my router, then see what happens

I also have a fios router behind the switch, it seems it gets the same issue, I'll probably get fios to replace my router, then see what happens

Ok. I hope it works out well! :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Have you tried connecting the NAS directly to your PC?

That's about all that comes to mind. Other possible issues could include:

1. Not enough RAM. FreeNAS does strange and unpredictable things when not allocated enough RAM (whether or not usage show it)
  2. Low end CPU. You did say that usage peaked at 60% for only a single file transfer. CIFS does have high overhead.
  3. Various drive issues. 

One other thing you might want to try... Set up FTP or SFTP sharing and then try a file transfer through a client like filezilla to see how that goes. The different protocol might lighten CPU usage if that's one of the contributing issues.

1.need to look into that

2.that was with a large transfer

3.tested both drives, working fine

I cant, when i connect it directly to my computer, It doesn't show up

That's because you most likely did not setup the static IP addresses.

That's because you most likely did not setup the static IP addresses.

How would i do that when i connect it to my computer directly, I dont use static ips on my router because i dont really feel i need them, idc about ip changes 

How would i do that when i connect it to my computer directly, I dont use static ips on my router because i dont really feel i need them, idc about ip changes 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

You are right you don't need a static address, however for test purposes with direct connection to the NAS and your PC you will need to set it up temporarily

I don't know which OS you have on your NAS, but google how to set a static IP on {your OS}.

That's about all that comes to mind. Other possible issues could include:

1. Not enough RAM. FreeNAS does strange and unpredictable things when not allocated enough RAM (whether or not usage show it)
  2. Low end CPU. You did say that usage peaked at 60% for only a single file transfer. CIFS does have high overhead.
  3. Various drive issues. 

One other thing you might want to try... Set up FTP or SFTP sharing and then try a file transfer through a client like filezilla to see how that goes. The different protocol might lighten CPU usage if that's one of the contributing issues.

I am 100% positive its a network issue, i tested the drives and network card in my main rig(i7-4770k 12gb ram, ect) and it had the same issue, even with the onboard network