Slow ethernet

Uwillparish

Hi guys,

I have a freenas system, and i recently upgraded it with a gigabit lan card, to be able to transfer files faster, And it seems its not working, i get about 30MB/Second with cat6 cable(about 9 meters and 3 meters) and a tp link sg108 network switch, can anyone give me some suggestions? 

could it be read/write speeds?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

@Uwillparish So far as I understand, speeds won't be affected to any appreciable amount assuming your CPU supports AES-NIA quick google would tell you if it does or not. Have you done smart tests/scrubs of your drives (might tell you relevant info)? Also, depending on your drive configuration, your write speeds may be reduced to or below the "normal" speed of the slowest drive in a given pool. 

I'd also check RAM usage. If it's being maxed out constantly, that could heavily contribute to throughput. 

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Are you using ZFS for your storage system?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

@Uwillparish So far as I understand, speeds won't be affected to any appreciable amount assuming your CPU supports AES-NIA quick google would tell you if it does or not. Have you done smart tests/scrubs of your drives (might tell you relevant info)? Also, depending on your drive configuration, your write speeds may be reduced to or below the "normal" speed of the slowest drive in a given pool. 

I'd also check RAM usage. If it's being maxed out constantly, that could heavily contribute to throughput. 

It doesnt support AES-NI

I have smart tests running every 2 days

Im running a scrub now

Their both WD red 1tb's(1 in raid0)

Ram not maxed out, most of the time theres a gb free

Are you using ZFS for your storage system?

yes

It doesnt support AES-NI

I have smart tests running every 2 days

Im running a scrub now

Their both WD red 1tb's(1 in raid0)

Ram not maxed out, most of the time theres a gb free

In that case, check out some of the posts in the forum thread I linked about AES-NI. Generic, low end dual cores seem to have non AES-NI speeds around 30 MB/s.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

so should i clear the drives and redo them without encryption?

So long as you have all you data backed up, it can't hurt to try. I'd be interested to see how much it improves (if any). What CPU is this btw?

So long as you have all you data backed up, it can't hurt to try. I'd be interested to see how much it improves (if any). What CPU is this btw?

intel® pentium® dual cpu e2160 @ 1.80ghz 

So i removed the encryption, Minimum speed, 123MB/second vs 30MB/S with encryption

lW9YLko.gif

EDIT: seems as if i spoke too soon, that was transferring a 1gb file, When transfering 50gb, right back to 22MB/s

So i removed the encryption, Minimum speed, 123MB/second vs 30MB/S with encryption

EDIT: seems as if i spoke too soon, that was transferring a 1gb file, When transfering 50gb, right back to 22MB/s

Hahaha. Did you check out CPU usage during the transfer? You should see a peak, but if it's maxing out CPU cycles, that might again be another bottleneck.

peaked at about 60%

Hmmmm, in that case all I can really assume is that it's a problem with your drives. What kind of drive parity do you have set up (RAID Z1, etc) and what drive models?

Hmmmm, in that case all I can really assume is that it's a problem with your drives. What kind of drive parity do you have set up (RAID Z1, etc) and what drive models?

its raid0 i think (its called mirror in freenas) 

drive is this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236342

its raid0 i think (its called mirror in freenas) 

drive is this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236342

You have two of those? (that's the only way you'd have them striped). Btw, striping is equivalent to RAID 0, and mirror is RAID 1 in this case. If you have them as a mirrored volume, that might also be contributing to your slower write speeds.

You have two of those? (that's the only way you'd have them striped). Btw, striping is equivalent to RAID 0, and mirror is RAID 1 in this case. If you have them as a mirrored volume, that might also be contributing to your slower write speeds.

its slow to download too

its slow to download too

Since you've already recreated the dataset, why not mess around with some different configurations just to rule it out? Try just a single drive with no striping or mirroring and see what kinds of speeds you can get.

Do you have minimum amount of RAM recommended for running ZFS?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Since you've already recreated the dataset, why not mess around with some different configurations just to rule it out? Try just a single drive with no striping or mirroring and see what kinds of speeds you can get.

tried it, no meaningful improvement 

tried it, no meaningful improvement 

That's about all that comes to mind. Other possible issues could include:

1. Not enough RAM. FreeNAS does strange and unpredictable things when not allocated enough RAM (whether or not usage show it)
  2. Low end CPU. You did say that usage peaked at 60% for only a single file transfer. CIFS does have high overhead.
  3. Various drive issues. 

One other thing you might want to try... Set up FTP or SFTP sharing and then try a file transfer through a client like filezilla to see how that goes. The different protocol might lighten CPU usage if that's one of the contributing issues.

That's about all that comes to mind. Other possible issues could include:

1. Not enough RAM. FreeNAS does strange and unpredictable things when not allocated enough RAM (whether or not usage show it)
  2. Low end CPU. You did say that usage peaked at 60% for only a single file transfer. CIFS does have high overhead.
  3. Various drive issues. 

One other thing you might want to try... Set up FTP or SFTP sharing and then try a file transfer through a client like filezilla to see how that goes. The different protocol might lighten CPU usage if that's one of the contributing issues.

is it possible its Ethernet cables?