Memory problems.... can anyone shed some insight?

Hello everyone, I just started building a pc and when I look at my stats I have 16GB of RAM but it tells me only 3.21GB are useable. Can someone explain why this is? The components I'm working with are: (Motherboard) MSI A88XM Gaming motherboard, (RAM) 16GB (8GBx2) G. Skill Ripjaws X-Series DDR3-2133, (Processor) AMD A10-5800k 3.8GHz Quad core, (GPU) Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Graphics card.

Hello everyone, I just started building a pc and when I look at my stats I have 16GB of RAM but it tells me only 3.21GB are useable. Can someone explain why this is? The components I'm working with are: (Motherboard) MSI A88XM Gaming motherboard, (RAM) 16GB (8GBx2) G. Skill Ripjaws X-Series DDR3-2133, (Processor) AMD A10-5800k 3.8GHz Quad core, (GPU) Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Graphics card.

Its because your using a 32 bit operating system. Do you have a 64 bit copy around?

i5 4670k / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 / Asus Maximus vi hero lga 1150 mobo / Sapphire tri-x r9 290 OC edition / corsair vengeance pro red 4 x 4 gb 2133mhz cas 9 ram kit / nzxt phantom 530 black / 120gb samsung 840 evo ssd / 240 gb ocz arc 100 ssd / 2x 1tb WD Blue / Cooler Master v850 modular psu / corsair k70 rgb cherry mx Brown / mad catz rat 5 laser mouse / windows 10

Its because your using a 32 bit operating system. Do you have a 64 bit copy around?

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of. Until you buy a new 64-bit OS, just get any popular version of linux if you want to use all your RAM and not have to buy a new OS yet.

yep either you are using a 32 bit version of windows or something really weird is happening

just a question...if this is a new pc why did you go fm2+ with a 5800k and 280? bit redundant a 860k would have been the better choice

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

I have a 64bit Windows 8.1 OS disc but it gives me a hard time installing. And money was an issue I just wanted a much better setup that was within a good budget. i started out with a stock HP 6000 series it was terrible to try to play games on.

How do I convert the 32bit to 64bit? or is that possible?

If you installed a 32bit windows and you also own a 64bit windows, then just make a fresh install of windows, this time using the 64bit version.

First make sure you installed 32bit and you are not having some other strange problems.

Check step: How can I tell if my computer is running a 32-bit....

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=windows-7

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440