How should I upgrade my computer?

What should I get to upgrade my laptop for cheap?

It currently running

-windows 8

-Intel core I3

-4 gigs of ram

That's all I know of what's in it.

It currently running

-windows 8

-Intel core I3

-4 gigs of ram

Ram I guess of just a new laptop

Ram I guess of just a new laptop

do you know any good buys for ram?

Also since I have a laptop is the ram different than towers?

do you know any good buys for ram?

Also since I have a laptop is the ram different than towers?

First see what ram you have as in ddr2/3 the open up your system to see how many dimms you have then get some sort of ram that has no heatsink

First see what ram you have as in ddr2/3 the open up your system to see how many dimms you have then get some sort of ram that has no heatsink

how do I figure that out? Just open it up and look for a sticker or something on the ram or what?

how do I figure that out? Just open it up and look for a sticker or something on the ram or what?

You migh be able to look at some sort of guid to taking it apart or you could probably just the amount of dimms

He has a windows 8 laptop with an i3 i'm 99.99% sure thats ddr3 mate, for starters what do you want to achieve by upgrading your laptop? (playing games, faster processing of tasks, better load/boot times)

He has a windows 8 laptop with an i3 i'm 99.99% sure thats ddr3 mate, for starters what do you want to achieve by upgrading your laptop? (playing games, faster processing of tasks, better load/boot times)

I'd like to achieve better fps in games, most of the games i play my computer it can handle but i got a couple games like the forest that is normally around 12 fps. I don't want to put a lot of money into this computer so I'd like to keep the upgrades cheap.

cant really get more frames with laptop, what you have is pretty much it. 

you can get more ram, but probably wont make much of a difference, (all i3s are DDR3 BTW)

about the only thing you can do is get an SSD, but that won't get you more FPS, but only better Boot/Load times. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Honestly unless it's a gaming laptop like an MSI or Asus you're not going to get a lot of mileage out of it. Upgrading your RAM (Which is SODIMM DDR3 btw) might help a bit but that's about all you'll be able to do with it unless it's got upgradeable components (non-soldered CPU, MXM 3.0 A/B style video card). You're better served with spending the money on a real desktop for games, since components to upgrade a laptop; if they're even available are very expensive.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

(playing games, faster processing of tasks, better load/boot times)

yeep

It currently running

-windows 8

-Intel core I3

-4 gigs of ram

just buy a bunch of led strips and put them in cool places makes your computer so much faster

fast cheap laptop's (upgrades) dont really exist,

if you want a cheap gaming pc you can build one with second hand parts for 300 (like in scrapyard wars)

it wont be amazingly fast but for the same monney you WONT get a faster new laptop.

and the fps in you games is mostly dependend on your processor wich in your case probably isnt replaceble