Linus seems to recommend the box as an anti-static resting place for motherboards, does this mean that a large cardboard sheet could be used effectively as an anti-statistic mat?

Pretty much yes.

If you have just a wooden desk or a laminated top desk you don't really need to worry about anti static mats and all that fancy stuff.

Linus seems to recommend the box as an anti-static resting place for motherboards, does this mean that a large cardboard sheet could be used effectively as an anti-statistic mat?

yes. really any surface besides carpet will be okay. I Build on wood personally.

I have put 2 7970s in my computer on carpet with socks on, so the whole static electricity its over stated. that being said I wouldnt recommend doing that with a whole system

I guess so, I personally used the motherboard box but I could've do it directly on the table, wood, cardboard, plastic and a lot of other surfaces are ok, pretty much anything except carpets, on your bed or anywhere that has a lot of static electricity, and anywhere non-conductive (a metal surface is a big no)

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

Welcome to the forums! You can use the boxes that your parts came in as anit-static surfaces.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.