r9 280x

CalumGiff

Can this card still be counted among the high end 1080p cards?

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

Sure can, Honestly if your running 1080p I wouldn't bother getting anything better than a 280x as it's just overkill. 

Even the R9 270 handles 1080P gaming fine, the R9 280X is still a great 1080P card, albeit not the best of course. However, I've seen R9 290s for as low as $240, so try and search for those on sale if you can.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

If I remember correctly, it can get like 50-60 FPS in Crysis 3 (presumably high).

So, yes. 

Although I personally would wait at the moment, it's still a great card.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

cool beans p ask cause i am making a new build to replace m q6600 and gt9500 that ive had for over 5 years :P, if the 280x is agood card then i dont mind buying it :)

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

Still a decent card, yeah

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Sure can, Honestly if your running 1080p I wouldn't bother getting anything better than a 280x as it's just overkill. 

280x is really really far from overkill at 1080p.  My gpu is like 40% faster and there are games it's starting to struggle with on ultra and maintaining a perfect 60. I imagine by next year I will have to start turning down setting. There are currently games a 280x can't even max now with 60fps.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

280x is really really far from overkill at 1080p.  My gpu is like 40% faster and there are games it's starting to struggle with on ultra and maintaining a perfect 60. I imagine by next year I will have to start turning down setting. There are currently games a 280x can't even max now with 60fps.

A 780 ti can keep a 60 average in any game before overclocking, if you arent then your doing something really wrong in your system somehow.

My old 7970 would keep Metro 2033 at 55 fps averages maxed out and about 50 on Crysis 3 maxed out. For everyday games that people are actually going to play it's more than enough

A 780 ti can keep a 60 average in any game before overclocking, if you arent then your doing something really wrong in your system somehow.

My old 7970 would keep Metro 2033 at 55 fps averages maxed out and about 50 on Crysis 3 maxed out. For everyday games that people are actually going to play it's more than enough

Average is not nearly the same as solid locked, and people who play with their frame rate not vsynced....I don't even know what to say to those people. I play at 2560x1080 all games ultra locked 60fps except for shadow of mordor and a couple of others, I think hitman with max aa.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Average is not nearly the same as solid locked, and people who play with their frame rate not vsynced....I don't even know what to say to those people. I play at 2560x1080 all games ultra locked 60fps except for shadow of mordor and a couple of others, I think hitman with max aa.

Your drops aren't going to be so drastic that it's going to ruin your gaming experience. That being said, an overclocked 780ti, or even 780 for that matter are going to keep your frame rate on a solid 60 for any game that people actually play on a regular basis. A 7970/280x is going to keep a solid 60 for any game people actually play too, just not games that intentionally try to punish your system like Crysis 3 or any of the Metro series which can't be seen as a mark against a card.

And I could keep Hitman locked at 60fps on the highest settings but without aa on a 7870 with a mild overclock, how you can't do it with aa on a 780ti is baffling. And shadow of mordor is a brand new game that hasn't had matured drivers made for it, so no card is going to straight up smash it out of the ballpark in the release window.

We also haven't touched on DX12 which is going to lower system requirements anyway.

Your drops aren't going to be so drastic that it's going to ruin your gaming experience. That being said, an overclocked 780ti, or even 780 for that matter are going to keep your frame rate on a solid 60 for any game that people actually play on a regular basis. A 7970/280x is going to keep a solid 60 for any game people actually play too, just not games that intentionally try to punish your system like Crysis 3 or any of the Metro series which can't be seen as a mark against a card.

And I could keep Hitman locked at 60fps on the highest settings but without aa on a 7870 with a mild overclock, how you can't do it with aa on a 780ti is baffling. And shadow of mordor is a brand new game that hasn't had matured drivers made for it, so no card is going to straight up smash it out of the ballpark in the release window.

We also haven't touched on DX12 which is going to lower system requirements anyway.

Because 8x msaa takes about 80% gpu power to run?  And shadow of mordor definitely has mature drivers, it's 6 months old lol. And I don't really know about hitman, I can run crysis 3 at 4k with the aa set to smaa 2xt and still average about 45fps. Some games AA just does not play nice, max payne 3 has some msaa problems too. I can run that game on ultra and my gpu basically idles, as soon as I set msaa to 8 it definitely pounds my gpu. 

Because 8x msaa takes about 80% gpu power to run?  And shadow of mordor definitely has mature drivers, it's 6 months old lol. And I don't really know about hitman, I can run crysis 3 at 4k with the aa set to smaa 2xt and still average about 45fps. Some games AA just does not play nice, max payne 3 has some msaa problems too. I can run that game on ultra and my gpu basically idles, as soon as I set msaa to 8 it definitely pounds my gpu. 

It's still going to get updates at this point.

MSAA is a known performance hog in any game anyway. Using an SMAA injector into games is much better, it's an open source AA, looks better than MSAA, Works with pretty much any game out there and has a negligible performance hit. Maybe there lies your problem?

It's still going to get updates at this point.

MSAA is a known performance hog in any game anyway. Using an SMAA injector into games is much better, it's an open source AA, looks better than MSAA, Works with pretty much any game out there and has a negligible performance hit. Maybe there lies your problem?

I know all about msaa, it's amazing and every game ever made should have it now. As far is msaa I know, it can pretty much tank games. I am also incredibly sensitive to the 60fps thing, even if it's for a split second I tend to notice, and it it's more than an anomaly I will usually turn aa down to 4 if I am using 8. Partly because there isn't a huge graphical difference for a lot less horsepower needed. 

I know all about msaa, it's amazing and every game ever made should have it now. As far is msaa I know, it can pretty much tank games. I am also incredibly sensitive to the 60fps thing, even if it's for a split second I tend to notice, and it it's more than an anomaly I will usually turn aa down to 4 if I am using 8. Partly because there isn't a huge graphical difference for a lot less horsepower needed. 

Start using SMAA then to decrease that performance hit?

Start using SMAA then to decrease that performance hit?

Well obviously, but most games don't have that. Like hitman. 

Of course the game will run easier with smaa over 8x msaa

Well obviously, but most games don't have that. Like hitman. 

Of course the game will run easier with smaa over 8x msaa

You can use an injector like sweetfx to put it in any game you want. Nvidia has actively tried to make devs avoid SMAA so you wont find it as standard in alot of games anymore, but that can't stop you from putting it in yourself :) it's basically free performance and nicer looking games

You can use an injector like sweetfx to put it in any game you want. Nvidia has actively tried to make devs avoid SMAA so you wont find it as standard in alot of games anymore, but that can't stop you from putting it in yourself :) it's basically free performance and nicer looking games

You can't inject smaa tx2 into games, just 1x which does not look much better over no aa in my opinion. 

You can't inject smaa tx2 into games, just 1x which does not look much better over no aa in my opinion. 

Have a bit of a look around at sweetfx, they have a few smaa presets that you can inject into games and you can manually play around with settings and get it to look better than 1x. Very much worth the time investment

Great but not the best. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case