Why Such Ludicrously Huge Gap Between Memory Clock Capability?

So, I have the Sapphire R9 270X 4 GB. And I've got a stable overclock of 1100Mhz Core, 1665Mhz Memory. The default voltage seems to have been set by the card maker at zero, or the absolute minimum (on Afterburner). And I know that messing with the voltage on GPU's isn't really recommended, is it?

Anyway, the 1665Mhz I've overclocked my Memory Clock to is the absolute maximum it will allow. 

So why do the specifications of high-end cards regularly state a Memory Clock speed of 7000Mhz and above?

Doesn't that seem to be a ludicrously large difference from mid-end cards like my 270?

So, I have the R9 270X 4 GB. And I've got a stable overclock of 1100Mhz Core, 1665 Mhz Memory. The default voltage seems to have been set by the card maker at literally zero (on Afterburner). And I know that messing with the voltage on GPU's isn't really recommended.

Anyway, the 1665Mhz I've overclocked my Memory Clock to is the absolute maximum it will allow. 

So why do the specifications of high-end cards regularly state a Memory clock speed of 7000Mhz and above?

Doesn't that seem to be a ludicrously large difference from mid-end cards like my 270?

they are not that different, theres the memory speed, then the effective memory speed. 

they are not that different, theres the memory speed, then the effective memory speed. 

I see.

I see.

yeah. I dont really know how to explain it better. someone will probably give you a super long explained version. just give it 5 minutes. but in all reality, your fine. 

my 7970s run at 1575 to put it in perspective

Memory "speed" is important because it affects memory bandwidth. Think of it like a highway of information. There are two ways to increase the total amount of cars passing through. 1) increase the speed limit, and 2) increase the amount of lanes. The speed limit is analogous to the speed the memory runs at, and the amount of lanes is analogous to how many bits the memory bus has. For instance, 1000 MHz memory on a 256 bit bus is the same bandwidth of information per second as 2000 MHz memory on a 128 bit bus.

Memory "speed" is only one factor of the important memory bandwidth equation.

Memory oc is pretty much useless unless playing at high resolutions.

At 1080p or so the difference is minimal.

Here is my 270x.

Rq8utrp.png

That's a nice Core Clock overclock. And I see you have plenty of headroom for much higher OC's.

I'm assuming you activated Voltage Control in Afterburner and increased it? I've left mine alone as the warning Afterburner gives you before activating it scared me off doing it.

Is it safe to do it? My PSU is the Corsair CX 750, by the way.

Memory "speed" is important because it affects memory bandwidth. Think of it like a highway of information. There are two ways to increase the total amount of cars passing through. 1) increase the speed limit, and 2) increase the amount of lanes. The speed limit is analogous to the speed the memory runs at, and the amount of lanes is analogous to how many bits the memory bus has. For instance, 1000 MHz memory on a 256 bit bus is the same bandwidth of information per second as 2000 MHz memory on a 128 bit bus.

Memory "speed" is only one factor of the important memory bandwidth equation.

Ah, I see. Interesting. 

That's a nice Core Clock overclock. And I see you have plenty of headroom for much higher OC's.

I'm assuming you activated Voltage Control in Afterburner and increased it? I've left mine alone as the warning Afterburner gives you before activating it scared me off doing it.

Is it safe to do it? My PSU is the Corsair CX 750, by the way.

Its safe under +50 mv tbh.

Just monitor your temps.

It's the way GDDR5 works and the way overclocking software works, it's just a clusterfuck of numbers. In this case it's just x4. 7000MHz on the memory is actually 1750 MHz