Apple’s New Job: Selling a Smartwatch to an Uninterested Public

I was in best but the other day looking for something and heard one of the customers asking about when they where going to get the apple watch and the woman who had asked was sad to be informed that it was not out yet. I then mentioned "there are a few amazing smartwatches on the market already like the lg g watch R" pointing to my wrist by which she responded " yes but apple didn't make it" by which I responded "well apple doesn't make there phones either" she didn't know what to say.

wow...just....wow. So she even knew of her brand affiliation outright and didnt think it was bad? Geez, I guess you really should never underestimate stupidity.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

The public aren't interested now. They will be when Apple releases the Watch. Apple releasing a watch is the best thing that could happen for LG, Motorola, Huawei etc. As demand for the Apple product increases, so does the demand for alternatives.

Well I am 100% getting one so thats at least one sale

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think they'd have a chance if the thing wasn't bulky and ugly as hell. I don't think anyone wants anything that large sticking out on their wrist. It'll do well, but it's not going to sell like hotcakes.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Loads of watches cost more than 99 dollars, you know...

A lot of good watches, not even collector pieces, are around 2000-3000 dollars. People actually do buy and use these. Its not abnormal. I mean, on a forum where people spend thousands on just a computer as a hobby, some do the same with watches.

Yes I'm very aware of that. But he said regular watch so I assumed it's a normal watch like a Swatch or Casio that tells the time and not something limited edition or collectors piece like Tag Heuers or Rolexes.

Hey everyone is entitled to how they want to spend their own cash. I'm not for the Apple watch but it's perfectly cool if you are.

Loads of watches cost more than 99 dollars, you know...

A lot of good watches, not even collector pieces, are around 2000-3000 dollars. People actually do buy and use these. Its not abnormal. I mean, on a forum where people spend thousands on just a computer as a hobby, some do the same with watches. 

LOL

there are mechanical watches out there that have very complex movement and they range 100 to 500k.  Also, this Swiss watch company called Veschron Constantine, their flagship watch costs 1 Mil.  So!  2k to 3k is chump change compared to some watches out there.

LOL

there are mechanical watches out there that have very complex movement and they range 100 to 500k.  Also, this Swiss watch company called Veschron Constantine, their flagship watch costs 1 Mil.  So!  2k to 3k is chump change compared to some watches out there.

But WHY would you pay that much for a watch?

Hell, $20 is too much for a watch IMHO

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

LOL

Oh I know, just your average Omegas or even some Rolexs are around there and whats what people routinely think of. Most people haven't a clue that a substantial market exists well beyond what you pay for on a luxury car. 

The same reason people on this site spend thousands of dollars on water cooling loops that don't add much except for aesthetics. People have different ways of spending their money on what they like.

Oh I know, just your average Omegas or even some Rolexs are around there and whats what people routinely think of. Most people haven't a clue that a substantial market exists well beyond what you pay for on a luxury car. 

The same reason people on this site spend thousands of dollars on water cooling loops that don't add much except for aesthetics. People have different ways of spending their money on what they like.

True enough.

I could understand if that watch had some cool functionality, like a laser cutter, compass, garrote wire, geiger counter, and sleep spray.

....don't tell me I am the only one who would want all that in a watch.

to you and me paying that much for a watch is unheard of, but for a billionaire is like spending pennies.

to you and me paying that much for a watch is unheard of, but for a billionaire is like spending pennies.

I can think of a hell of a lot more that I would buy before buying a watch for 1mil

All I've learned in this thread is my $40 watches won't impress on this forum. I guess I'll return them to Walmart...

I'd rather get a Rolex watch to be honest.

Maybe for school these smart watches will be useful. Such as reminders, going through your music playlist, cheating on exams...  ;)

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

$20 buys a crappy watch, for people that care, its nice to have something nice on your wrist, heck even my casio was $60 and that is the cheapest watch i own

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

• 3 weeks later...

i'm going to buy one. i just like the look, and how you can change the display. don't even care about it being "smart"

getting a regular watch would cost me thousands. this is a chance to get something new/novelty for a timepiece without that kind of expenditure.

i'm backing out of this. disappointed with the pricing for the stainless models. can easily wait and save up one day for a regular watch.

Define R5 Black Window || i5 4690K || Scythe Kotetsu || Asus Maximus VII Gene || Kingston Fury 8GB || EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 || EVGA G2 750W || SSD/HDD/ODD